Iranian nuclear scientist awol in Saudi-US blamed

#4
And who uses motorbikes for attacks on their enemies in Tehran and the other major Iranian cities?

Put it another way, Iranian state media would have you believe that the CIA orchestrated 9/11.

B
 
#6
bakerlite said:
And who uses motorbikes for attacks on their enemies in Tehran and the other major Iranian cities?

Put it another way, Iranian state media would have you believe that the CIA orchestrated 9/11.

B
The CIA did arrange 9/11.




Ducks,runs,covers.
 
#8
Personally, I think this one was domestic.
The Prof was apparently linked to the Moussavi opposition party, and I defy anyone to find and identify bomb components that quickly. Unless you know what was in it because you built it.

Since other opposition opponents have also been hit lately, I think this one was probably the Iranian Government itself, or some faction therein.
 
#9
HectortheInspector said:
Personally, I think this one was domestic.
The Prof was apparently linked to the Moussavi opposition party, and I defy anyone to find and identify bomb components that quickly. Unless you know what was in it because you built it.

Since other opposition opponents have also been hit lately, I think this one was probably the Iranian Government itself, or some faction therein.
He would thus be an asset considering/and beyond his immediate function - making the nuclear project one within the Iranian consensus and not a government folly.
 
#10
para_medic said:
HectortheInspector said:
Personally, I think this one was domestic.
The Prof was apparently linked to the Moussavi opposition party, and I defy anyone to find and identify bomb components that quickly. Unless you know what was in it because you built it.

Since other opposition opponents have also been hit lately, I think this one was probably the Iranian Government itself, or some faction therein.
He would thus be an asset considering/and beyond his immediate function - making the nuclear project one within the Iranian consensus and not a government folly.
Yes, but he was (apparently) a quantum theorist rather than a weapons expert.
 
#11
para_medic said:
HectortheInspector said:
Personally, I think this one was domestic.
The Prof was apparently linked to the Moussavi opposition party, and I defy anyone to find and identify bomb components that quickly. Unless you know what was in it because you built it.

Since other opposition opponents have also been hit lately, I think this one was probably the Iranian Government itself, or some faction therein.
He would thus be an asset considering/and beyond his immediate function - making the nuclear project one within the Iranian consensus and not a government folly.
Depends. Some news items seem to suggest he was more of a mathematician dealing with quantum mechanics, which is hard enough to make your ears bleed, but not really concerned with the engineering aspects of making things that go bang.
The general public consensus in Iran seems to be pro nuclear, but not necessarily pro-Bomb.
However- If you have someone on the fringes of the Bomb programme who is of dubious political reliability, do you continue to let them run free, and perhaps talk to the wrong people? (Klaus Fuchs) Jail him? (Vananu) OR do you just remove him with extreme prejudice?
 
#12
Having read the latest, it does look like a government spin - co-opting him posthumously into the program. Point taken.
 
#13
#14
Yossi Melman said:
The possibility that Western, or even Israeli, spy agencies are behind the latest assassination is supported by precedent. According to foreign news reports, Israel acted in a similar fashion during the 1960s against German scientists working to develop missiles in Egypt, and during the 1970s against various scientists. These included Egyptians and the Canadian scientist Gerald Bull who worked on Iraq's nuclear and missile projects under Saddam Hussein.

His colleagues at Tehran University claim that Mohammadi was not connected whatsoever with Iran's nuclear program. However, precedent shows that Iranian universities, especially the chemistry and physics departments, have served as a front for Iran's nuclear program. They have purchased and hid equipment, and their professors and experts have served as consultants for the program.
http://haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1142310.html

Everybody's guess at the moment.
 
#15
I don't doubt that he would be able to contribute to a weapons programme, but apparently his strong point was a very advanced form of maths.

It's way way, beyond me, but it's the kind of abstract reasoning where maths wanders over the border into philosophy and religion.

It is also possible that someone in the hierarchy didn't like the religious implications of some of the theories involved here. I know that some Christians don't. However, the Archbishop of Canterbury hasn't (so far as I know), put out a contract on Stephen Hawking for musing on the unthinkable. The Iranians put a hit out on Salman Rushdie for a rather dull piece of fiction, so they do have previous for suppressing dissent.
 
#16
US and Saudi blamed - makes a change from blaming Mrs. Thatcher I suppose.

The unelected mad bastards in charge in Tehran will be the guilty parties.

Such a shame Bliar and Campbell are no longer in No. 10, we could have invented a reason for 'regime change' in Iran. Still we can't have everything and we do have 'Swamper' Brown the moronic, monocular, monster.
 
#17
Perhaps it's just something they like to do now and again pour encourager les autres?
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top