Iranian Jet Fighter

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Pitster, Sep 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looks remarkably like a F5 to me, can't see a radar fitted either......

2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

So a fifty year old airframe with some bits bolted on. Clever them Iranians.

3. Good to see the Iranians viewing a 20yr old aircraft (40 yr old design) as 'new' and 'cutting edge'. Still, newer than half of our kit :roll:

They have a holy defence week! 8O

4. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Shouldn't that be "Holy defence week Batman!" ?

5. Only if the aircraft missiles go POW! and KAZAAM!

6. What kind of site is that? It has a poll asking if 9/11 was an inside job. Do they give free tinfoil hats with every new subscription?

7. A large portion of the world keep asking the same question, do we deserve the tinfoil hats for discounting the possiblity? :D

8. The Saeqeh has been flying for several years now. It's airframe is based on the Northrop F-5 (the design of which dates back to the 1950s) but with a second vertical stabiliser added. I suspect they may have reverse engineered it to add composite components and some modern avionics, but basically, it is singularly unimpressive.

Although the Iranians made some comedy remarks that it 'exceded the FA-18 in performance', I don't think they'll be many F-22 and Typhoon pilots losing sleep over the Saeqeh.

Regards
    MM

9. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

[align=center]...like this....

[​IMG][/align]

10. Here's a pic of the beast with a twin stick F-5F on the left.

[​IMG]

11. Whilst it doesn't look like much or an improvement from the outsides, we've got no idea of what the innards might be like, the main point of it is that it's all domestically produced. They seem to be trying to go very much for the full self sufficiency bit in defence programs.

12. Too true that it's domestically produced (albeit reverse-engineered). The question must be, how many can they domestically produce?

13. A very good point. I would assume thought that with the US doing a fairly good job of forcing them to have tp use the grey/black market in aeroplane parts for most of their foreign aircraft that it can't be any worse than what they're already having to fork.