Iranian Fuel Rationing

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by the_matelot, Jun 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the BBC website

Are the Iranians fearing sanctions? Or should I put my Tomahawk6 Hat on and say that the Iranians are building up fuel stocks for war???
  2. ahhhh the irony, sitting on all that Oil and is unable to use it.

they did have refining ability but that went in 1979 along with the multinationals.
  3. The end is nigh!!!
  4. Been known to be coming for quite some time... 2 years back Iranian government announced the need to reduce its import of POL to save cash. This appeared on the BBC 12 months ago:

Not only that, but their ability to suck the crude out of the ground is rapidly diminishing. The problem is, they simply haven't invested anything in the industry for almost 30 years and it's falling apart.
  5. Not all the multinationals. It might surprise you to know that Halliburton, of all people, were working in Iran right up to last year!
  6. ...and yet they're investing in nuclear power? What's more expensive, a centrifuge complex for plutonium refinement, or maintenance of an oil refinery?

What's more likely to produce results inside six months?

Pull the other one, it's got bells on!
  7. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Iran seems to be imploding. Political factionalism, diversionary international adventurism & sabre rattling (RN hostage taking, nuclear development threats etc.), not to mention increasing civil unrest. Has the current regime run its course and if so, will they try a 'Galtieri' to rally support at home?
  8. That's probably what the nuclear thing is all about.
  9. and

Yes, you've already told us that, being a power distribution engineer, you're an expert in the field of the oil industry, geo-politics, strategic brinkmanship, and nuclear theory.

Nevertheless, I suspect that even you could learn something about Iran's oil (and wider energy) problems by having a read of the study advertised here: Iran Energy Crisis Brochure

It comes at a cost, but if you're interested in learning some real facts, you'll find a way to get a copy. Alternatively, you could just continue repeating conservative Washington group-think.

Edited to fix link. Cut & paste this in full to browser: Energy Crisis Brochure.pdf
  10. I read that as "How is a nation with a fuel crisis seriously going to justify putting resources and effort into a Weapons programme"

Now this is interesting. I'm unable to find a reference to an onstream power providing Nuclear pile on the Iranian national grid. The Buseher reactor can only come online with a LOT of Russian help, and not until November 2007.

Don't take my word for it, here is what the US Government theirownselves had to say in 2003

Stripping away the rhetoric and the "We believe that" what exactly does Iran have?

Fast forward to September last year......

So how exactly are they managing to produce weapons grade plutonium when they haven't got a functioning Nuclear facility. Even when they do get one, it will be under the security and technical oversight of the Russians.

This is ironic. Has all this talk by the Iranians of a bright Nuclear future, merely been window dressing to hide from their own population that the Iranian Government is selling more oil than they sensibly should have been , and eating dramatically into the domestic supply in doing so?

Has all this bluster been simply to hide the energy gap?

Amhedspellingmistake is not an unintelligent man, and I think has been indulging in "Jam tomorrow" on the world stage, both to bolster Iran's esteem and to pull the wool over the populations' eyes.

Iran is currently in a massive building , modernisation and regeneration programme and they need foreign exchange and investors desperately , hence the overclocked oil sales.

The problem is, they can't fill the energy gap. I think the Iranian Government is fully aware that keeping a disgruntled civpop of bright young things reasonably happy, is a tad more important than the ability to turm Tel Aviv into a self-illuminating car park.
  11. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

That's what I was driving at. Questions are; how long before this unravels and how badly? Should we in the West sit back and watch them fall apart or do we extend them a line of credit as a means of reigning them in?
  12. We also seem to forget that Iran has had nuclear ambitions for a VERY long time. This is not something cooked up by Ahmadinejad or even by the mullahs before him.

Irans first nuclear reactor, a 5MW thermal reactor for research and training, started working in 1967. I'll leave you to work out who supplied it!