Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Iranian Fourth Generation Fighter

Iran has unveiled it's indigenously built fourth generation fighter - Iran unveils new domestic fighter jet

Looks like an F5 to me, what say the experts?
f5.jpg

Iran has unveiled it's indigenously built fourth generation fighter - Iran unveils new domestic fighter jet

Looks like an F5 to me, what say the experts?View attachment 347276

Yep, it's presumably the latest in a long line of indiginously upgraded F-5 variants. It sounds like this has also been upgraded with wholly 'indiginous' systems such as avionics and perhaps even an AESA radar.

Previous indiginous upgrades include the HESA Azarakhsh...
1024px-An_IRIAF_HESA_Azarakhsh_in_Vahdati_Airbase_Air_Show.JPG

...and the twin-tail HESA Saeqah.
1024px-A_HESA_Saeqeh_of_IRIAF.jpg

However, for sheer comedy value, my favourite is the Qaher-313 'stealth fighter'...
IAIO_Qaher-313_first_prototype_taxing_test.jpg

...complete with plastic canopy!
IAIO_Qaher-313_22.jpg

Regards,
MM

Yep, it's presumably the latest in a long line of indiginously upgraded F-5 variants. It sounds like this has also been upgraded with wholly 'indiginous' systems such as avionics and perhaps even an AESA radar.

However, for sheer comedy value, my favourite is the Qaher-313 'stealth fighter'...

IAIO_Qaher-313_22.jpg

Regards,
MM
There were reports a few years ago of a two seat version of the Saeqah.

There were two seater versions of the F-5, and Wikipedia claims that Iran had some of those along with their regular single seat F5s. These new planes just announced are probably either refurbished instances of those, or copies of them.

One thing that I have not seen explained anywhere over the years in which these reports were made is whether these Iranian planes are actually new build copies or just major refurbishments and upgrades of existing air frames. I don't have any evidence but I suspect the latter.

The planes are probably perfectly adequate for counter-insurgency warfare, especially if the upgrades include better communications and sensor gear.

The F-5 is surprisingly capable for a light and cheap fighter as shown by its' longevity. The F-20 Tigershark would have been better and faster. I suspect that the Iranians have built an F-20+ which is hardly 4th Gen but will probably give many 3rd Gen currently operating fighters a nasty shock in a furball.

Having worked with several Iranians and Iraquis some years ago I can testify that they are generally smart, hardworking and learn fast.

Some years ago we were chuckling at Chinese Shenyang copies of Russian fighters.

The F5 airframe can be tweaked to make a pretty competent fighter, even now.
The limiting factors will be electronics and propulsion, which will only be available from Russia or the PRC.
That said, Avons or Sapphires are early jets made with 50s tech, so reverse engineering them with the idea of installing in a tweaked F5 might be possible for the Iranians.

IAIO_Qaher-313_22.jpg

Regards,
MM
Ahh the Qaher 313, state of the art stealth fighter made of plywood, with a Morris Marina dashboard.