Iranian commanders assassinated

Iranian commanders assassinated

Several top commanders in Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards have been killed in a suicide bombing in the volatile south-east of the country.

Iranian state media say at least 20 people have died in the attack, in the province of Sistan-Baluchistan, and dozens more injured.

The commanders were in Pishin region for a meeting with tribal leaders.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, which was condemned by Iran's Parliamentary Speaker.

Iran has previously accused a Sunni resistance group, Jundallah, of terrorist activities in the province.

Sistan-Baluchistan is mainly made up of the Baluchi ethnic group, who belong to the Sunni Muslim minority of Shia-ruled Iran.

'Terrorist' attack

The deputy commander of the Guards' ground force, General Noor Ali Shooshtari, and the Guards' chief provincial commander, Rajab Ali Mohammadzadeh, were among the dead, Irna state news agency reported.

Parliamentary speaker Ali Larijani, speaking at an open session of parliament which was broadcast live of state radio, said: "We express our condolences for their martyrdom.

SISTAN-BALUCHISTAN ATTACKS
May 2009 A bomb explodes at a mosque in the provincial capital Zahedan, killing 19 and injuring 60.
February 2007 Suspected militants killed 11, including Iranian Revolutionary Guards, in a bomb attack in the provincial capital Zahedan.
March 2006 Gunmen posing as police kill 22 people, many government employees, after closing the Zabol-Zahedan road.

"The intention of the terrorists was definitely to disrupt security in Sistan-Baluchistan Province."

Within hours of the attack, the Guards accused "foreign elements" - usually used to refer to the US - for the attack.

"Surely foreign elements, particularly those linked to the global arrogance, were involved in this attack," a Guards statement quoted by state television said.

Sistan-Baluchistan province, which borders both Pakistan and Afghanistan, has long been affected by smuggling, drug trafficking, banditry and kidnapping.

Jundallah, also known as the Popular Resistance Movement of Iran, says it is fighting against the political and religious oppression of the country's Sunni minority.

In May, three men were executed for their role in a bombing of a mosque during evening prayers which killed at least 19 people in the south-east city of Zahedan in Sistan-Baluchistan.

The hangings came two days after the attack and the men were in custody on other charges at the time of the bombing.

Revolutionary Guards were among 11 people killed in an attack in 2007 in Zahedan.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8312964.stm

That will teach them to steal my ipod :)

"Surely foreign elements, particularly those linked to the global arrogance, were involved in this attack," a Guards statement quoted by state television said."

wished it was an "Iranian" PIR device

Wonderful news.

Iranian TV quoted what it called "informed sources" as saying that Britain was directly involved.
Even the Iranians laugh at their national "Blame the British" hangup.

Iranian interior ministry said 29 people died in the attack, in the Pishin region of Sistan-Baluchistan, and at least 28 were injured.
Yep. Pishin my self laughing.

Taxi!

Bit of background to what's happening over the border.
The Pakistanis also suspect Iran of supporting Baluch activists in order to counter a
Pakistan-U.S. plot to make Baluchistan a rear base in a future offensive against Tehran.29 Iran, which
is keen on becoming the preferred outlet to the sea for Central Asia at Pakistan’s expense, has built
its own port at Chah Bahar (recently renamed Bandar Beheshti) with Indian assistance.30
Iranian involvement is unlikely. Tehran has denied any involvement in the troubles in
Baluchistan, claiming that it is not hostile to the Gwadar project.31 If it were to get involved in the
Baluch imbroglio, it would probably not be in opposition to Pakistan and certainly not because of its
rivalry with Pakistan over providing an outlet to the sea for Central Asia. Iran and Pakistan have a
common interest in exporting Iranian gas to India, and an insurrection in Baluchistan would only
harm their chances of building a gas pipeline through the province.32 Iran also has reason to worry
about Baluchistan’s claims to its border regions. In fact, Tehran sent helicopters to Islamabad
between 1973 and 1977 to help it put down the Baluch insurrection.
Finally, the Baluch as well as the Pakistanis see the United States as a potential
troublemaker. Some Pakistanis suspect that Washington would like to use Baluchistan as a rear
base for an attack on Iran and would also like to get China out of the region.33 They do not make
clear which side the Americans are on: whether they are opposing the Baluch nationalists because
they are supported by Iran or whether they are supporting the Baluch because they are hostile to the
Chinese. Other Pakistanis see a continuation of the “Great Power game” being played in Central Asia
since the collapse of the Soviet Union. Proponents of this view believe that the United States, in
competition with China and Iran, would like to control the oil supply lines from the Middle East and
Central Asia and would also like to use its Greater Middle East initiative to dismantle the major
Muslim states and redefine borders in the region.34 In contrast, some Baluch nationalists charge the
United States with conspiring with the Pakistan government to put an end to Baluch claims.
So far nobody has been able to prove any of these accusations.

The thing is that many of the Mosques in Iran are actualy part of the military and militia network. Iran is now starting to warm up and many people I spoke to there after the "elections"were openly advocating revolution. Incidentaly the Headquarters of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard in Tehran has a high wall surrounding it with what looks like explosive charges built into it in places, presunmably so they can bug out in a hurry. Anyway, back on thread, I am fuc king delighted that some of the Iranian Revolting Guard have been topped. Expect more of this in the coming months. There was a bomb explosion in a southen city in Iran just before the recent election and the government hanged three random prisoners in the street as a tit for tat gesture the next day.

Werewolf said:
Dead Iranian soldiers...nope, I'm getting no reading on the Give-A-Fcuk-O-Meter... :twisted:
Ah, but have you tried your clapometer :?: Mine went past thunderous applause. 8O

This is the best news I have heard all day. And before anyone describes me as callous, they should spare a thought for all those British troops in Iraq (particularly Maysan Province) and Afghanistan who have been killed and wounded by Iranian funded, trained and equipped groups. The Revolutionary Guards in particular have much British blood on their hands, and so it is especially heartening to see some of them on the receiving end of their own tactics.

Monty417 said:
Werewolf said:
Dead Iranian soldiers...nope, I'm getting no reading on the Give-A-Fcuk-O-Meter... :twisted:
Ah, but have you tried your clapometer :?: Mine went past thunderous applause. 8O
My Bad - I was using the wrong piece of kit! :D

Does that make me Officer material? :oops:

Mr Happy

LE
:)

I'm just off to update my FACEBOOK with "Mr Happy thinks 29 Iranian Revolutionary Guard murders assassinated is a good start".

I wonder how many folks will 'like' it.

Werewolf said:
Monty417 said:
Werewolf said:

My Bad - I was using the wrong piece of kit! :D

Does that make me Officer material? :oops:

It's just done 'Standing Ovation' and now it's shouting 'Encore.. Encore' :lol: