Iranian Chieftain video

Who is providing the ammo and are they doing it cheaper.

That looks very recent, interesting then that they still seem to be keen to maintain these old beasts.

Looking at the parts where we see the amplifiers from the control cubicle being replaced it look like they are replacing the old valve versions with (presumably) solid state. Such a good clear vid, I just loved seeing that bit, I recall those parts so well, I have never seen any that clearly depicted since I left but it all came flooding right back. it was also interesting to see "traverse" and "elevation" on the coupling amps rather than the Farsi version of those words.
WE had a guy from Chieftain Design Services on exercise with us must have been 85ish, told us about solid state gun kit which was the size of a book and available. It was that size because there was a spare built in for redundancy! It could traverse in 9s IIRC. He told us they were having real problems with the armour on Chieftain 800/900, I forget which, due to the driver's hatch having to rise and then swing to the right. We thought he was mental volunteering for Saltau in his blue coveralls in winter!

Upgraded or not. How long do You Tankies on here give it against Merkava?
About the time to shout a fire order. Not to say it couldn't kill a Merkava, eventually, but the gat is only firing local DST and the armour is 1950s.

We'll at least they haven't tried dressing it up with extra armor to make it look like a modern Tank. The images of the Zulfiqar 3 look more like someone has been busy down at the workshop playing dress up with tanks with pis of M1's. Still can't work out what that white road wheel is for bolted to the bustle on the turret, Its a different type to the ones on the tank and appears to be larger.

1524823281102.png

All the wibble about Merkavas etc is academic,
The 3rd Red Sea Pedestrian Shock Army is not going to be swanning across the Korramshar front any time soon.
Against the neighbours? Chieftains still up the job.
Resourceful chaps the Persians, always were, and unlike their brain dead arab neighbours, they actually understand how to use armour.

Resourceful chaps the Persians, always were, and unlike their brain dead arab neighbours, they actually understand how to use armour.
Not sure how much armoured warfare experience they've had personally, but last time out they didn't seem to actually understand 'how to use armour' against their 'brain dead arab neighbours'
Operation Nasr - Wikipedia "It was the biggest tank battle of the Iran–Iraq War."

WE had a guy from Chieftain Design Services on exercise with us must have been 85ish, told us about solid state gun kit which was the size of a book and available. It was that size because there was a spare built in for redundancy! It could traverse in 9s IIRC. He told us they were having real problems with the armour on Chieftain 800/900, I forget which, due to the driver's hatch having to rise and then swing to the right. We thought he was mental volunteering for Saltau in his blue coveralls in winter!
Possibly the most astonishing part was the FVGCE PSU. All it had to do was take the 24v supply and output a 300v DC and a 115v three phase supply. The complexity of the design and that it used motor generator and motor alternator to do it's job was so out of date it was hard to believe.

This design made it prone to frequent failure (all that dust that got in through the grill to wear down the brushes, commutators and slip rings) and cost a lot more that a non-mechanical design would have. A lot more noisy too.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Not being a tanker and at the risk of asking a silly question, if the Iranians (pbut) can rebuild and upgrade their Chieftains ( how old ?) , why didn't we do the same instead of getting Challengers?

Answering my own question, I guess it was to face off against Ivan and his newer tanks?

Do we, as a country, still have the facilities here in the UK to do similar lif3 extensions usw for our MBTs?

Puddled of Barnsley ....
The quick answer is that you'd be very upset if you were in a Chieftain and the other side was in a CR2.

I didn't recognise it as a Chieftain until the shots with the main armament over the back deck.

Or Infantry considering they used human wave attacks
In those days, yes. I believe they have acquired some more recent experience in Syria or at least the ‘better’ units have and of course they train and lead many of their sponsored militias in Syria and Iraq (allegedly).

We'll at least they haven't tried dressing it up with extra armor to make it look like a modern Tank. The images of the Zulfiqar 3 look more like someone has been busy down at the workshop playing dress up with tanks with pis of M1's. Still can't work out what that white road wheel is for bolted to the bustle on the turret, Its a different type to the ones on the tank and appears to be larger.

View attachment 332393
It is in fact not an extra road wheel but the satellite dish for their onboard telly.

About the time to shout a fire order. Not to say it couldn't kill a Merkava, eventually, but the gat is only firing local DST and the armour is 1950s.
The Chieftains are second or third line tanks in Iran. I think that most of the ones they originally bought are no longer in service.

They've also upgraded and modernized their American supplied M-60 tanks, including fitting a new turret with a 125mm smoothbore gun like that used by their T-72s.

The backbone of their armoured forces however are T-72s, including upgraded versions of it. They produced most under licence, but also bought some from countries like Poland in the 1990s. They've been talking to the Russians about license building T-90s, although those discussions haven't gone anywhere yet because of Russia applying UN sanctions on arms technology exports.

In addition to these, they've got a variety of even older stuff, such as US M-47s, as well as T-62s and T-55s. The older stuff they mainly have in quantities of 50 to 150 sort of thing. Like a lot of Middle Eastern countries they don't seem to throw their older stuff away, just pass it down to what I assume are reserve forces.

If there was an invasion by someone like Israel (which I can't see the Israelis being able to pull off that far away), I suspect they would have to deal with all the T-72s before they reached older stuff like Chieftains.

All the wibble about Merkavas etc is academic,
The 3rd Red Sea Pedestrian Shock Army is not going to be swanning across the Korramshar front any time soon.
Against the neighbours? Chieftains still up the job.
They should do.

We taught them.

Not sure how much armoured warfare experience they've had personally, but last time out they didn't seem to actually understand 'how to use armour' against their 'brain dead arab neighbours'
Operation Nasr - Wikipedia "It was the biggest tank battle of the Iran–Iraq War."
His knowledge of tankie fisticuffs appears to match his air-to-air shenanigan duff gen.