Iranian Chieftain video

Any chance of getting a subtitle version for those of us who don't speak Farsi? :?

That looks very recent, interesting then that they still seem to be keen to maintain these old beasts.

Looking at the parts where we see the amplifiers from the control cubicle being replaced it look like they are replacing the old valve versions with (presumably) solid state. Such a good clear vid, I just loved seeing that bit, I recall those parts so well, I have never seen any that clearly depicted since I left but it all came flooding right back. it was also interesting to see "traverse" and "elevation" on the coupling amps rather than the Farsi version of those words.

What is that giant cubicle thing with the vertical sliding doors? Some kind of turret-stripping operation?

@ObnoxiousJockGit posted something about this which included more information on another thread a few months ago. I can't recall where. The Iranians are doing a routine life extension, rebuild, and upgrade of their Chieftains.
Not being a tanker and at the risk of asking a silly question, if the Iranians (pbut) can rebuild and upgrade their Chieftains ( how old ?) , why didn't we do the same instead of getting Challengers?

Answering my own question, I guess it was to face off against Ivan and his newer tanks?

Do we, as a country, still have the facilities here in the UK to do similar lif3 extensions usw for our MBTs?

Puddled of Barnsley ....

... it was also interesting to see "traverse" and "elevation" on the coupling amps rather than the Farsi version of those words.
I was told years ago by an Iranian engineer that Farsi, whatever its other merits, simply can’t cope with today’s increasingly complex high-tech terminology and concepts, even with wholesale importation of foreign vocabulary; it’s very often easier (and, more to the point, safer) to use English, despite the obvious need to train personnel in the language.

Not being a tanker and at the risk of asking a silly question, if the Iranians (pbut) can rebuild and upgrade their Chieftains ( how old ?) , why didn't we do the same instead of getting Challengers?

Answering my own question, I guess it was to face off against Ivan and his newer tanks?

Do we, as a country, still have the facilities here in the UK to do similar lif3 extensions usw for our MBTs?

Puddled of Barnsley ....
IIRC, it was politics. The Shah had been deposed, and so the Shir tank that was destined for Iran was diverted to the British Army as the Challenger, thus saving thousands of jobs manufacturing them.

However, the Shir was effectively a sexed-up Chieftain, and not the step-change desired by the Army when compared with the final marks of Chieftain. Hence Challenger 2, which was much more capable. Something like that, anyway.

I would imagine stripping and re-engining vehicles is well within the capabilities of whatever ABRO are called this week, let alone commercial companies. Manufacture from scratch - not so much.

Edited to add: just looked it up - ABRO became DSG, which was sold to Babcock. So maybe not then. Depends if they kept the facilities to overhaul MBTs.

Puddled of Barnsley ....
I think the UK is starting an upgrade and life extension project for the CR2. The big debate has been over whether it is practical to fit a new gun as part of it (apparently not). There's a whole thread here where the issue has been thrashed over in endless detail.

Last edited:
Re monies, yes we paid them back recently. There was a bit of a fuss made in the papers. I think it was £40 or £400M
We didn't pay interest though.
In regards to CR2, there is currently two companies bidding (BAe and Rheinmetall). Both are on a two year contract to prove concepts etc, and then the Govt will decide which to go for.

Puddled of Barnsley ....
There was a plan to upgrade Chieftain which would then run alongside Ch1. Turned out the wear on the hulls was too great, amongst other problems, and a replacement was sought which led to Ch2; yeah Ch2 was the Chieftain replacement. Next plan was to stick L30 on the Ch1 turret; they did at least one, this evolved into Ch2 turrets on Ch1. Finally the Labour government offered to replace all the legacy tanks with Ch2 and the Army said "Yes please!". I hope that is accurate, but it was a long time ago and we often resorted to Rumour Control when facts were missing.

If you look closely, you will see them fit new Boiling Vessels. This will clearly make the refurbished vehicle invincible...
Maybe, but will they stash Herfies in the charge bins and do they have a Wolfgang trundling round their area with best bratty and chips to keep the troops happy? Pork washed down with alcohol, they like that kind of thing over there don't they?

Puddled of Barnsley ....
In an odd twist of fate, Kahlid was developed for Iran but the 1979 revolution put paid to that. With a little help from Jordan and further tweaking "Shir 2" re-emerged as Challenger 1.

A good link here:

FV4030/2 / Shir 1 / Khalid MBT