Iran

Latest in a series of fires and explosions, Isfahani engineers do seem a tad careless.

Latest in a series of fires and explosions, Isfahani engineers do seem a tad careless.
Explosions at third world fireworks factories and warehouses aren't even unusual. What's unusual is when they don't burn down part of the town with it.

The Kharg, the Iranian Navy's largest ship, has caught fire and sunk.
Suspicious or could just be a cock up on a very old ship.

It's an interesting question! The Kharg was a British built Tanker based on the RFA O boats. So a very old steam ship with little of the safety and fire suppression systems a modern ship would have. And having seen how easily things nearly nearly go wrong I can easily see it happening and getting out of control. However the Iranians have been poking so many people I can understand someone taking a bit of revenge. But doing it to a military ship with defensive weapons and a large crew to notice is a big difference to a civvy tanker with 2 people on the bridge.

Sadly one of the few IRN ships I never got the chance to see. ☹️

Air Force hasn’t done so well either.

It is described as the US made F-5 but might have been the Iranian produced Kowsar.

T

It's an interesting question! The Kharg was a British built Tanker based on the RFA O boats. So a very old steam ship with little of the safety and fire suppression systems a modern ship would have.

Sadly one of the few IRN ships I never got the chance to see. ☹️
1622647669738.png
According to Reuters she carried helicopters. If this is so, the avgas tanks should have burnt well.

Given that it's Iran, cock-ups are probably routine. If the Argentine navy can sink and capsize at its moorings, I imagine the Iranian navy can catch fire without any help from anyone else.

I won't be surprised though if the Iranians emit a press release blaming Israel, the US, the UK, and a few others, rather than admit that they themselves might have been less than careful with the "people's" ships.

Given that it's Iran, cock-ups are probably routine. If the Argentine navy can sink and capsize at its moorings, I imagine the Iranian navy can catch fire without any help from anyone else.

I won't be surprised though if the Iranians emit a press release blaming Israel, the US, the UK, and a few others, rather than admit that they themselves might have been less than careful with the "people's" ships.
Apparently a refinery outside Tehran has cooked off as well.
Allah has not smiled upon them today.

T

View attachment 578174According to Reuters she carried helicopters. If this is so, the avgas tanks should have burnt well.

She had some pretty good helicopter facilities, 2 spot hanger with the ability to operate 3 at a time.

While I have no experience of the O class design normally your avcat tanks are down low in double bottoms or the like so not near the hanger. And fuel in a tank is pretty hard to make catch fire. It could be a leak in pipework/pumps to the flight deck during a refuel but there was no helicopter ranged on deck on the pictures of her burning.

If the Americans had an air-launched anti-satellite missile in the 80s, the Israelis are certainly capable of building one as well

أي إس إم-135 أسات - ويكيبيديا

The Soviets launched several Cosmos satellites before and during the Yom Kippur war, & the Israelis didn't like one little bit the imagery they updated Sadat with showing their expanding bridgehead over Suez Canal. The shock of the 1973 attack has made the Israelis paranoid about a repeat. Putin has already said this claim about Russia giving the Iranians a recce satellite is 'a lie'.

The Israeli's own Ofek 16 satellite sails against the Earth's orbit every 90 minutes across the entire ME, from Karachi to Gibraltar, photographng in crystal clear B&W 5cm resolution IR photos in all weathers, selling them at $20,000 a shot, mainly to Saudi Arabia and the Gulf states, showing them exactly what the Iranians are up to on their borders.

Last edited: