Iran warns US as missiles test-fired

Iran has test-fired nine missiles as a warning to the US and Israel that it is ready to retaliate if attacked over its nuclear programmes.

Iran's Shahab-3 rocket has a range of approximately 1,200 miles and Revolutionary Guards air force commander Hossein Salami said his country has thousands of missiles ready to be fired at "pre-determined targets".

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20080709/twl-iran-warns-us-as-missiles-test-fired-41f21e0.html

UPDATE-

Video-
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/25600094#25600094

Hussein Salami?

Sounds like a butcher....

1200 miles puts it well within range of cyprus and NATO countries such as Greece and Turkey as well as Isreal. Map

Seems to me like some Iranian chest beating by Ahmadinejad, still a bit concerning though. Is the shaved chimp likely to go for one final push before he gets hurled from office? More to the point, will we follow if he does (not sure with whom of course)?

REgards said:
1200 miles puts it well within range of cyprus and NATO countries such as Greece and Turkey as well as Isreal. Map

Seems to me like some Iranian chest beating by Ahmadinejad, still a bit concerning though. Is the shaved chimp likely to go for one final push before he gets hurled from office? More to the point, will we follow if he does (not sure with whom of course)?
My guess is that Israel will either go for Iran without further ado, or possibly launch a false-flag op to kick-start the US into attacking. They all seem hell-bent on a war one way or the other.

Chuffit said:
REgards said:

My guess is that Israel will either go for Iran without further ado, or possibly launch a false-flag op to kick-start the US into attacking. They all seem hell-bent on a war one way or the other.
Seconded. The Israelies always believe in getting thier retaliation in first...

conory said:
Iran has test-fired nine missiles as a warning to the US and Israel that it is ready to retaliate if attacked over its nuclear programmes.

Iran's Shahab-3 rocket has a range of approximately 1,200 miles and Revolutionary Guards air force commander Hossein Salami said his country has thousands of missiles ready to be fired at "pre-determined targets".

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/itn/20080709/twl-iran-warns-us-as-missiles-test-fired-41f21e0.html

UPDATE-

Video-
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/25600094#25600094

Bet he's a fcuking riot to be around 8O

Hahaha, one of the pic's the revolutionary guards handed out to the media has turned out to be photoshopped :lol:

Put it this way. If Iran is developing nukes, I think we all have a right to be scared. One of you mentioned about Israel will want retaliation first.

Well here is a quote by "Athenogoras of Syracuse" (Ancient Greek philospher)
"If a man does not strike first, he will be the first struck."

I can see why Israel want to attack Iran, I for one wouldn't like Iran as my next door neighbours. It's bad enough with the French, though they we are allies so thats not so bad.

Back on topic (again)
As you know Iran has

1. Taken 20 british service personell hostage from international waters (in total (5 + 5))
2. Threatened to sink a US Battleship
3. Developing enriched uranium for peaceful processes. Is that for power or to nuke the rest of world that is non-muslim.
4. Launched test missiles capable of reaching cyprus.

Ok I am scared.

AndyPipkin said:
Or is this just all one MAHOOSIVE US conspiracy to get the Poles to sign up for a shiny new ABM base?
That wouldnt surprise me.. however. We would then have the Russians to deal with. As you already know the RAF, have been rather busy in the north sea intercepting Russian bomber patrols.

"If attacked we will strike back". I bet that sounds familiar to any Russians who're old enough to remember the Cold War. Isn't that exactly what we said to them?

Ah, but we're the good guys? Of course. I forgot, for a moment.

Chuffit said:
Presumably based upon the huge success of Israel's last war in Lebanon.

I still wonder whether, given the success of MAD in preventing the Cold War turning hot, a greater degree of parity in the Middle East would create increased stability. Notwithstanding Iran's mentalist attitude on many things, I don't see them committing mass suicide.

Acordingly, I am not sure I am a great deal more worried about a nuclear Iran than a nuclear Israel/Pakistan/India etc.

Dilfor said:
I still wonder whether, given the success of MAD in preventing the Cold War turning hot, a greater degree of parity in the Middle East would create increased stability. Notwithstanding Iran's mentalist attitude on many things, I don't see them committing mass suicide.

Acordingly, I am not sure I am a great deal more worried about a nuclear Iran than a nuclear Israel/Pakistan/India etc.
Of course, the Cold War MAD nuclear strategy was based on the premise that both sides were rational actors in international affairs, not so sure if Islamic Iran falls into that camp!

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
[devil's advocate]

What gives the USA (or anyone else for that matter) the right to decide if Iran or North Korea or flipping Outer Mongolia has missiles or Nuclear power - including Nuclear Weapons?

The USA were the first and only nation to use Nuclear Weapons against another nation. They have more than anyone else. They have missiles that can fly to any point in the world and obliterate it.

Just because they don't like the Iranians (or North Koreans etc) and the Iranians don't like them (who can blame them really?) why should they decide what they can do WITHIN THEIR OWN BORDERS???

If the USA suddenly decide that the UK was not worthy to have missiles or Nuclear weapons, would we just turn over and say "OK, here you go, take our weapons off us..."? Would we hell.

The USA is well known for it's 'bully-boy' attitude to any nation that she isn't best buddies with. Until and unless Iran poses a clear and present danger to the USA then they should mind their own business.

[/devil's advocate]

Legs said:
[devil's advocate]

What gives the USA (or anyone else for that matter) the right to decide if Iran or North Korea or flipping Outer Mongolia has missiles or Nuclear power - including Nuclear Weapons?

The USA were the first and only nation to use Nuclear Weapons against another nation. They have more than anyone else. They have missiles that can fly to any point in the world and obliterate it.

Just because they don't like the Iranians (or North Koreans etc) and the Iranians don't like them (who can blame them really?) why should they decide what they can do WITHIN THEIR OWN BORDERS???

If the USA suddenly decide that the UK was not worthy to have missiles or Nuclear weapons, would we just turn over and say "OK, here you go, take our weapons off us..."? Would we hell.

The USA is well known for it's 'bully-boy' attitude to any nation that she isn't best buddies with. Until and unless Iran poses a clear and present danger to the USA then they should mind their own business.

[/devil's advocate]
Devils advocate or not, I agree with a lot of what you say.
Take this comment as an example:....... US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice warned Iran that the United States would not back down in the face of Iranian threats against Israel........
First question:. What 'threats'?
Personally I worry much less about a non-nuclear Iran threatening reprisals if attacked, than a fully nuclear-armed Israel making very real threats to attack Iran pre-emptively.
US support for Israel, an apartheid-like state armed with undeclared nuclear weapons, is the support of a rogue nation by any of the yardsticks we use to judge other nation's suitability to be a part of the 'world community'. It is such outrageous hypocrisy as this that makes the US one of the most hated nations in the world today.... And we do ourselves no favours whatsoever publicly supporting either.

There. Said it.

Dilfor said:
Chuffit said:
Presumably based upon the huge success of Israel's last war in Lebanon.

There are plenty of individual suicides going on by Iranians or their friends. For them, it's a weapon of war. I really wouldn't put it past some people in their leadership to decide that a few hundred thousand martyrs, volunteers or not, is a price worth paying to get Israel off the map.

Bradstyley said:
Of course, the Cold War MAD nuclear strategy was based on the premise that both sides were rational actors in international affairs, not so sure if Islamic Iran falls into that camp!
Rational thought within an Islamic political system isn't neccessarily an oxymoron. Nothing in Iran's foreign policy over the past 30-odd years suggests that they want to nuke or convert the rest of the world. In fact, despite the rhetoric, Iran even had close military cooperation with Israel till after the first Gulf War- with Saddam out of the way, Israel suddenly turned on its erstwhile ally, jumping up and down and screaming that it's the biggest threat to world peace, like, ever... much to Iran's bemusement, then annoyance.

The anthropologist Godfrey Lienhardt once said that the Irish had an unfair reputation in England for brawling, because they had a culture of making rhetorical threats when in drink- "if someone doesn't hold me back, I'll kill him etc", which in Irish culture was the cue for a mate to step in and break up the "fight". In England, no-one stepped in to help the quarrelsome Paddy, and the fight actually broke out, to the originator's chagrin. All the naked threats Israel is making against Iran (and which are prompting the, to Iranian eyes, retaliatory missile tests and warnings etc) seem comparable, and are perhaps just a call for the US to step in and break it up before it gets out of hand.

I have to say, if Israel actually does what it keeps claiming it will do to Iran, and gets the pummelling that seems likely, I shan't feel a great deal of sympathy. And if it does happen, it won't be Iran's irrationality that has caused it... even though they are Muslim, and therefore the irrational slaves to impulse you seem to think.

I don't fully share Martin Woollacott's apocalpytic view in theGrauniad but he has a point.

If you wanted to draft a scenario for the end of the relatively orderly and prosperous world we live in, you might well begin it with an attack on Iran's nuclear facilities. After the battering that the experts say would be necessary to suppress Iran's nuclear programme, oil at $200 a barrel would soon be a distant dream as Iran's reserves were compromised and other Middle Eastern oilfields disrupted by Iranian retaliation.

Trade would shrivel, economies would cease to function, Iraq, Afghanistan, and Lebanon would slip back into chaos, Pakistan would be rocked, Iran would be broken, and extremism would flourish in the vacuum. Floundering amid the wreckage like lost boys would be the US army, much of its navy, and the best military units of many other western countries. Relations between America and the world's other big powers - China, Russia, Europe, India - would crash. America's own economy and political standing would be damaged irreparably, and Israel's isolation would be both complete and permanent