• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Iran to try British Embassy Staff over protests

Chances of a fair trial?................ probably none. Chances of the penalty being execution if found guilty?........... quite likely Id say.

So how do we apply pressure on Iran to secure there release? Do we rely on the Septics for a helping hand? Thoughts?

LINK

Spenny said:
Chances of a fair trial?................ probably none. Chances of the penalty being execution if found guilty?........... quite likely Id say.

So how do we apply pressure on Iran to secure there release? Do we rely on the Septics for a helping hand? Thoughts?

LINK
execution of british nationals?? 8O that'd be a warrant to drop a few bombs on Iran wouldn't it?! :? they'd never dare as they know what the reponse would be! :x

dangerousdave said:
Spenny said:

LINK
execution of british nationals?? 8O that'd be a warrant to drop a few bombs on Iran wouldn't it?! :? they'd never dare as they know what the reponse would be! :x
Well you'd think so mate, but then its fcuking Iran - what other "punishments" do you think they'd dish out to these blokes? Hopefully it never gets that far, but what if it does? Its not as if they are trying to get into our good books!!

I think now is the time to put down the carrot and begin waving the stick.
Unfortunately, Iran seems intent on pushing the boundaries with the UK and they need to be shown they've found them before they do something really bloody stupid that leaves us with no choice other than a major military response.

They aren't British nationals, they are apparently all local employee's at the British Embassy.
Sadly this is what happens when we have a weak and ineffective government, every tinpot little country thinks they can have a pop and get away with it. Even more sadly every little tinpot country can and will get away with it.

Miliband will utter some harsh words and Brown will wet his trousers again (allegedly) and we will stand quietly by.

dangerousdave said:
Spenny said:

LINK
Did you just not bother reading the article before you posted the outrage bus/ gunboat response?

Ditto the original poster. These are locally employed staff who almost certainly do not enjoy diplomatic protection.

Moving on . I wonder how much more obvious Iran can make it that they want us to talk to them about something?

PartTimePongo said:
dangerousdave said:
Spenny said:

LINK
Did you just not bother reading the article before you posted the outrage bus/ gunboat response?

Ditto the original poster. These are locally employed staff who almost certainly do not enjoy diplomatic protection.
Moving on . I wonder how much more obvious Iran can make it that they want us to talk to them about something?
Fair point PTP and yes I admit that I did miss that on the article, but my original post still stands, as they do work for the British Embassy. "How do we apply pressure on Iran to secure there release?"........... or do we just cut them loose?

PartTimePongo said:
dangerousdave said:
Spenny said:

LINK

er.. well no, because i watched it on the news and it just said British embassy staff, so you would presume that they meant British staff. Fair comment you made tho 8) But i do think they need a good response... maybe get the Met to arrest all their staff in London for activities not in line with diplomatic status and throw them out of the UK? :wink:

R

renamed_user

I doubt that any other country would continue to put up with Iran pushing them around like we do. We are like the frightened little victim at school, the bully keeps coming back because he knows he can get away with it. The rest of the educated world just stands and watches as does our craven government. If we threw a few F**Ks at them in whatever form i'm sure they'd hate us the same but they would be a bit more wary of us.
The IED's that continue to kill and maim our best probably originated from Iran.

jagman said:
They aren't British nationals, they are apparently all local employee's at the British Embassy.
Sadly this is what happens when we have a weak and ineffective government, every tinpot little country thinks they can have a pop and get away with it. Even more sadly every little tinpot country can and will get away with it.

Miliband will utter some harsh words and Brown will wet his trousers again (allegedly) and we will stand quietly by.
Quite agree :!:

Firstly, the staff are Iranian nationals. This incident is the result of a struggle between different factions within the Iranian regime. Hardliners are shoring up their power base and diverting attention away from the recent unrest by arresting these guys.

Gobbing off about it is simply playing into the hands of this faction. The only thing Britain can do is sit quietly and they'll probably be released after a while.

I have to say all this talk of military action and 'using the stick' is making me laugh.

Bomb them into the Stone Age!! With what? From where? :roll:

Some people really need to realise that Britain is no great power any more. Hanging on to Trident and carriers is just keeping up the pretence.

Blame McRuin and NuLab all you want but it's not going to be much different under the Tories.

The Obama administration has made a strategic decision to engage in dialogue with Iran and certainly isn't going to let something like this get in the way. Are we really going to go against the US? No chance.

Apemanijad and the Mad Mullahs V Cyclops in a battle of wills, cunning, ruthlesness and brinksmanship.

Since we can no longer make use of gunboat diplomacy, we have a choice of trying to persuade the EU to apply collective pressure (no chance) or go cap in hand to the Yanks (Obama is still an unknown quantity).

In the meantime the Iranians can toy with us much as they please. Perhaps we can hurt them a bit economically or do some damage behind the scenes but thats about it. They picked their target well and picked the degree of provocation perfectly. Enough to embarass us and make us look weak, but not enough to force Gordon to grow a pair of balls and launch a missile strike on their achilles tendon (oil refineries).

Good point Tom. But having just spent 6 months in Iran I can say with some degree of certainty that the Iranian govt doesnt actualy GAF about UK. As far as they are concerned they are carrying out the will of God and in their view of the big scheme of things, UK is insignificant.

The Iranians are giving a message to Obama, not us.

They can have a go at us without consequence, as has been said above. There are no US diplomats in Iran, the regime can do things to annoy Uncle Sam but that may have 5xCVBG and several wings of heavy bomber type consequences, which they don't want. So they pick on the UK instead. Close enough to give the mesage, but not too close, udigg?

Taz_786 said:
Some people really need to realise that Britain is no great power any more. Hanging on to Trident and carriers is just keeping up the pretence.
That 'pretence', pathetic though it may be on the world stage, is the only thing standing between us and christ knows what. Getting rid of them would be akin to suicide.

And the reason we're no 'great power' is down to successive weak governments and massive slashes in defence spending.

We certainly have the cash, knowledge and relationships to be a 'great power'. What we're lacking is the will. Defence spending is not a vote winner. Though it should be, as power is good for everyone.

DeltaDog,

You speak with passion, but no knowledge. I have been to China and the USA I know for a certain fact that, whilst both countries think well of us, we are of no great consequence to either of them. Either could absolutely bury us without a second thought if need be.

These 2 countries will shape the 21st century. We will not.

The population of greater Guangzhou alone is about half that of the UK. And the GDP of California alone is at least as big as the UK's.

AndyPipkin said:
DeltaDog,

You speak with passion, but no knowledge. I have been to China and the USA I know for a certain fact that, whilst both countries think well of us, we are of no great consequence to either of them. Either could absolutely bury us without a second thought if need be.

These 2 countries will shape the 21st century. We will not.

The population of greater Guangzhou alone is about half that of the UK. And the GDP of California alone is at least as big as the UK's.
My point is that we're of no great consequence because we choose not to be. We are certainly not the power we once were, but we still have the 6th largest GDP of any country on Earth (significantly more than California's $1.543 trillion).

If it were the will of the country that we be powerful - and the Government increased defence spending to a level that would support that - then a major player we would be.

jagman said:

I would not complain too much of your "weak and ineffective government". The Iranians have seized a few embassy employees who did not have Vienna Convention protections.

In the late 70's we (the US) not only had a weak and ineffective government but an extremely weak and ineffective president. Jimmy Carter is the personification of weak and inneffective. After the "Halloween Massacre" by Carter and his classmate Stansfield Turner gutted the CIA we had no real intel sources left. At one point the CIA had to sen a clandestine team into Iran NOT ONE OF WHOM SPOKE FARSI! When the Iranians siezed out Embassy and helt the staff (who did have full Vienna Convention protection) hostage, Carter spent the rest of his term of office whith his thumb stuck firmly up his arrse doing approximately nothing. He attempted one rescue mission that lacked resources, intel and was a cluster fuck from start to finish and only resulted in the death of several brave members of the mission.

The hostages were finally released 444 days after the embassy was seized. They were released at the moment that Ronald Reagan took his oath of office as President. The Iranians clearly knew the new administration would not sit there with their thumb up doing nothing.

I should note that the Canadian Embassy, at the direction of the Canadian Ambassador Ken Taylor OC took in a number of US diplomats who were not in the US embassy during the seizure and later the Canadian Foreign Minister, Flora MacOonald.CC, arranged for the issuance of Canadian passports to the US diplomats and they were able to secretly get back to the US. We in the US were very grateful to Canada. In my city the City Council ordered the Canadian flag be flown with the US flag on all city building, schools, fire stations etc. (Any Canadian Arrser's, Thanks again!)(Jimmy Carter, if you are reading this, you were the worst president of the 20th century you wimp!)

Latest Threads