Iran the target for the world's most complex computer spy virus

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Noir, May 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There was Duqu then Stuxnet, but now Flame is spreading‏
    Kaspersky Lab is calling it "one of the most complex threats ever discovered. It's pretty fantastic and incredible in complexity," said Alexander Gostev, chief security expert at Kaspersky Lab. "It took us half-a-year to analyse Stuxnet," he said. "This is 20-times more complicated. It will take us 10 years to fully understand everything."

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-05/28/massive-spyware-network-flame

• Like Like x 1
  2. Foil hats, lovely tin foil hats, pound a piece, tenner for twelve. Get yer foil hats here.

• Like Like x 4
  3. I have read up on viruses. Now have to figure out where to get a condom large enough to go over my laptop.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

It's looking like cyber warfare.

Flame: world's most complex computer virus exposed - Telegraph

Some very skilled people have spent serious money crafting an expensive program that has zero commercial value, but great espionage value.

That reads like a wish list of states the US would like to keep an eye on.

-- Iran because of its uranium enrichment and attempts to export terrorism.
    -- Israel because the US doesn't want them unilaterally smacking Iran.
    -- Sudan because it on the way to being a failing state.
    -- Syria because its hostile to the US.
    -- Lebanon because its politically unstable and essentially under Syrian domination.
    -- Saudi because of fears of political instability in one of the US's most important allies in the region.
    -- Egypt, because it could end up a militant state if its revolution goes badly.

And I'll bet they're not the only infected states.

These boys have something to do with it?

United States Cyber Command - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wordsmith

5. Er, ok.

6. But you couldn't see him. You could only see his post.

7. It has to come from Israel. Given the number of companies who use the Land of Red Sea Pedestrians for writing encryption codes and given the targets I think it's a no-brainer.

8. He is among us everywhere. Peace and blessings be upon him.

9. I'm loving the apparant surprise that Flame is "the most complex threat ever discovered". Is that really a shock? With the speed at which technology is developing, we have kids sat at home DDOS'ing online players of MMORPG's, not caring that they're breaking the law at the age of 14. As with anything, you would always expect viruses to get smarter and more complex.

The only thing I found intriguing was hearing that this virus is believed to have originated ~5 years ago and will take 10 years to decode. Imagine how complex the most current highly funded virus is.

*Puts on tinfoil hat*

10. Is that Kosher?

11. That'll be a quid please, young sir.

12. fu2

fu2 LE

I´ll take two and the biggest condoms you`ve got please

13. This is a virus found in Iran, Egypt, Saudi, Sudan and Syria and investigated by the Russians?

Hardly a hotbed of sophisticated computer networks.

14. Pies can also be infected by viruses, if the duty chimp in the bakery sneezes or happens to wipe his arse on one.

That's why you should aways heat your pie to at least 66 degrees centigrade, throughout, before you shovel it down your ferret.

Do Iranians have pies.....perhaps that's why all their arses are hanging off.......?

15. According to the BBC Israel too has been targetted by this: A complex targeted cyber-attack that collected private data from countries such as Israel and Iran has been uncovered, researchers have said.