Iran taking control of Basra by stealth

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Random_Task, Jan 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Iran 'taking control of Basra by stealth'
    Daily Telegraph
    Link

2. Only the WH can claim (truthfully) that they never saw this coming.

3. Sorry to say but it was inevitable that if either Iran or Iraq "fell", by whatever means, the other would leap to assimilate the other country. There is too much at stake, commercial or religious, for them to just leave their rival regain their equilibrium. The area will always have tensions and periods of "battle" whether we are there or not. Similar to any area with a history of violently differing views on how the world should be. The position from some that the Iranian Sharia theocracy ruling both countries would be preferrable to Coalition forces remaining in the region until a more solid base is established in Iraq is quite plainly a receipe for an even bigger mess than having gone in early and removed Saddam without more thorough forward planning.

Similar parallels to the Communist Domino theories espoused post WWII could be drawn by the West re the ME at present. There is definitely an overt statement by certain extremist Islamic groups in their wish to impose world wide Sharia whether anyone else wants it or not. I see little difference between these fanatics and any other group demanding that everyone submits to their lifestyle and ideology - White supremacists, Communists, Vegans etc - voluntary or otherwise. Out of all of those choices I know whom I feel poses the biggest threat to everyone and everything I hold dear.

4. We could of course back genuinely patriotic Iraqi Shia groups such as Moqtadr al Sadr or Iran's mortal enemies, Sunni Wahhabi fundamentalists such as AQ ... oh dear. Guess we really are screwed then.

5. The common perception is that if we pull out today, next year, 5 years from now, It will still all go to pot.

6. My history is a bit skewiff. What did we do last time we ran from Iraq?

7. Set up an Iraqi Puppet Monachy.
    john
    Lasted for years.

8. What Iraq needs is a military dictator along the same lines as Musharaff.

Iraq does not need democracy. Not now, not for a while to come.

9. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Pakistani dictator give in to the thugs in Waziristan.