Iran plans to launch humans into outer space

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by OLDBIGHEAD, Aug 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Lifted from Liveleak-

Iran plans to launch humans into outer space
    15:37 21 August 2008
    New Scientist Space and Reuters

Iran plans to send a crude rocket into space in the next 10 years, state television said on Thursday, just days after the Islamic Republic announced it had put a dummy satellite into orbit.

"One of the aims of Iran's 10-year space programme is to send a manned rocket into space," state television quoted Reza Taghipour, the head of Iran's More..aerospace organisation, as saying. "Within the next six months to one year, the exact date of this mission will be determined."

Taghipour said Iran would cooperate with Islamic countries in building a satellite that the television report said would be called "Besharat", meaning "good news". He also said Iran was working with Russia and other Asian states to launch another satellite.

Only three other nations have launched humans into space - Russia, the US and China.

Embroiled in a standoff with the West over its nuclear ambitions, Iran said on Sunday it had put a dummy satellite into orbit on a home-grown rocket for the first time.

US security officials said the launcher failed shortly after lift-off and did not reach its intended position. But Charles Vick, a senior analyst for the research group, said Iran appeared to have succeeded in igniting the second stage of its booster rocket and gained data that will help it perfect its launch system.

The long-range ballistic technology used to put satellites into space can also be used for launching weapons. Iran says it has no such intention.

The West accuses Iran of seeking to build a nuclear warhead, a charge Tehran denies, insisting its nuclear ambitions are aimed at generating electricity so it that it can export more of its massive oil and gas reserves.

My Bold- Yeah, im sure Iran is planning on giving the "good news"
  2. Why? Did an Iranian mug your mum or something? Or is space reserved only for non Middle-East astronauts?
  3. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Haven't you ever seen Star Trek man? did you ever once see an Arab in any off them ever? point taken?
  4. DS9 had a Dr of Middle Eastern extraction, Alexander Siddig, when he first started it was Siddig Bel summat but he must have been advised to Anglicise it :?
  5. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Damm your as big a freak as I am. your right of course and it was pretty fast, was it during the first season or not until the second?

back on topic, I suggest that the Iranians build a big fcuk off catapult and launch various members or their gubment into space starting with mr dinner jacket.
  6. He's got a new career, see my other post in the Naafi, pashtun pop god :wink:
  7. I'm up for us supporting them as long as we can do the same to ours. What say you Spock....errrr..... Biscuits? Live long and Presbyterian?

8. But he played the part of a pakistani Doctor.
  9. Is this another punishment to go along with chopping hands/heads off?
  10. Well it does say a "crude rocket to send humans into space". Nowhere does it say they will bring them back down to earth afterwards.
  11. Did they mention anything about getting them back down?

12. As a massive fan of DS9, I can't believe that it's only just struck me that Julian Bashir isn't a western name. Either it's my dyslexia or all this 'melting pot' stuff really does start to work after a while!
  13. To all religions: If your god(s) is/ are so powerful surely you could just pray who you want into space?

Just a thought - why bother with all this heretical science nonsense?

14. I thought this would be a thread about Mr I'm a dinner jacket's next plan for dealing with the Israelis.
  15. No, but if they're looking for volunteers for a suicide mission - Afghanistan appears to have a lot of willing volunteers! :twisted:

We could even try and persuade some of our own Government to volunteer - if nothing else if would be a laugh. :lol: