Iran Paid Insurgents To Kill Squadies

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iran/2022631/Iran-'paid-Iraq-insurgents-to-kill-UK-soldiers'.html

Iran has secretly paid Iraqi insurgents hundreds of thousands of American dollars to kill British soldiers, according to a leaked government document obtained by The Telegraph.

The allegations are contained in a confidential "field report" written by a British officer who served in Basra during one of the most dangerous periods of the conflict. The report, which has never been made public, shows the full level of Iran's involvement in the insurgency for the first time.

tommy_cooker said:
doesn't this just confirm what everyone knew already?
push the button i say
Well it certainly confirms that the US spin-machine is still up and running.

How is a report written by British Army Major Job part of a US spin campaign ? Anyone who has been on the ground there or privy to the intelligence knows that Iran is hip deep in the JAM in Basra.Iranian IED's,mortar shells, rockets and money all used to sustain JAM and kill British troops.Deny it if you will but that doesnt change the facts.

Well, it's not like gordon brown is going to do anything about it. He has denuded our military capabilities to the point where we couldn't do anything, even if we wanted to, except perhaps to throw a few tlams at selected iranian sites. Unfortunately, that would be the extent of it.

Ski.

tomahawk6 said:
How is a report written by British Army Major Job part of a US spin campaign ? Anyone who has been on the ground there or privy to the intelligence knows that Iran is hip deep in the JAM in Basra.Iranian IED's,mortar shells, rockets and money all used to sustain JAM and kill British troops.Deny it if you will but that doesnt change the facts.

Yes, but suddenly it's front page news along with a constant drumbeat of rhetoric in the US press and media against Iran.

Bush wants a war with Iran and he's determined to get one.

Now Im no fan of the Iranians and Im sure the scallywags are up to something in Iraq, but in my opinion that article reads like the bottom of a cow shed.

tomahawk6 said:
I'm denying nothing. I simply don't trust the administrations that lied us into the Iraq war, and this has US warmongering expansion plans written all over it.
Want a war with Iran? Go fight it yourself. Good luck, and good riddance.

Beat the cnuts at there own game fund the Kurds and tell them to aim at Iran rather than Turkey two birds one stone?

ps I no it would be bugger to set up but saves British lads keeps us friends with Turkey cant be bad

skivinstudent.lol said:
Beat the cnuts at there own game fund the Kurds and tell them to aim at Iran rather than Turkey two birds one stone?

ps I no it would be bugger to set up but saves British lads keeps us friends with Turkey cant be bad
The Kurds probably have more money than we do. They'll soon be bribing us to do their dirty work.

They are rather involved in the heroin business which is probably quite lucrative.

Still think it might work we paid Iraq before that didnt go to well but it might keep the Iranians occupied waste some off their money?

Sorry Skivins, we already tried that once OP WARDEN/OP HAVEN in '91. CIA pulled out all the backing, and i watched the Canadians leave while i was sat in a bar in downtown Incerlick. He who pays the piper, calls the tune. IMHO i believe that the shaved chimp will target Iraq in the next 5 months, private companies will be the winners as per Iarq / 'Stan.

Just my opinion, not going to get into a long protracted slanging match with anyone.

buttonsin3s said:
Sorry Skivins, we already tried that once OP WARDEN/OP HAVEN in '91. CIA pulled out all the backing, and i watched the Canadians leave while i was sat in a bar in downtown Incerlick. He who pays the piper, calls the tune. IMHO i believe that the shaved chimp will target Iraq in the next 5 months, private companies will be the winners as per Iarq / 'Stan.

Just my opinion, not going to get into a long protracted slanging match with anyone.
I take it you mean IRAN? :roll:

Cheers wearwolf, yes Iran.

Shall take myself off and give me a damn good beasting.

On that point though im not having a slaging Bush doesnt have control of the congress so cant get funding unless he does a Nicaragua esc. attack then apply for funding after, then the congress couldnt not fund 'the boys'.

Just thinking out loud, entirely possible as he cant be reelected (how do you spell that?)

buttonsin3s said:
Cheers wearwolf, yes Iran.

Shall take myself off and give me a damn good beasting.
Interview yourself without coffee or biscuits! :D

Seriously, I doubt even Bush wants a THIRD war. And even if he does, I doubt he'd be allowed to proceed. For starters, the American Military are being stretched by Iraq and the Stan.

More importantly, Republicans know that starting a third war would probably be political suicide. Bush might want to go out in a blaze of glory, but his party want to be re-elected...

The first thing a pissed off Iran will do is start attacking shipping in the Gulf, just a few mines here and there would cause chaos.......and drive the oil price even higher.

Iran can react in any manner they like but they are very vulnerable all the same. I would destroy their sole oil refinery and prevent them from shipping or importing gasoline/oil. I would seize their offshore oil platforms and destroy their navy like we did once before. Whenever you fear your opponent he has got you because you wont undertake any military action.Iran has it coming and I hope they get it in spades.All Bush has to do is hold off until after the November elections.

tomahawk6 said:
Iran can react in any manner they like but they are very vulnerable all the same. I would destroy their sole oil refinery and prevent them from shipping or importing gasoline/oil. I would seize their offshore oil platforms and destroy their navy like we did once before. Whenever you fear your opponent he has got you because you wont undertake any military action.Iran has it coming and I hope they get it in spades.All Bush has to do is hold off until after the November elections.

Riiiight…

So you think China and Japan will be well chuffed when a big chunk of their oil supplies go tits up?

Destroy their Navy? What about the 1,000 or so anti ship missiles they have lining the Gulf that will destroy ours and shut down all tanker traffic through the Straits of Hormuz?

title:
Iran Paid Insurgents To Kill Squadies
Why on earth pay people to do what they were inclined to do anyway?

I think one thing needs to be clarified here.
Nation State A would not attack Nation State B because Nation State B was supplying minor weapons to third parties in neither A or B lands that were being used to kill soldiers of Nation State A's armed forces.

The sheer expense of risking an unwanted all out war with its attendant unforeseen circumstances would prohibit it.
But even before that it has to be remembered that the soldier serves the state. The state does not serve the soldier.
Therefore the Nation State isn't going to change its foreign policy because some of its soldiers are getting killed.

Such a change brought about by such a cause would cause Machiavelli to raise an eyebrow at the very least.

But such an excuse is being used by the US admin in order to curry favour with troops at the sharp end. But the favour would be very short lived indeed as the servicemen would find themselves in a far bigger war launched for entirely different reasons than they had been given.

These days, it is not only Greeks that one must beware of when seen coming bearing gifts.