Iran offers the US 20million barrels

#1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4218986.stm

Iran has offered to send 20m barrels of crude oil to the US to help with the consequences of Hurricane Katrina.
The two countries have had no diplomatic relations for decades, but America did send help to Iran when a severe earthquake hit Bam in 2003.

Speaking on state-run radio, Iran's envoy to OPEC said his country was ready to send up to five shiploads of crude oil to the US.

But he said this could only happen if US sanctions were lifted first.

The envoy, Hosein Kazempur-Arbedili, did not clarify if he meant lifted temporarily for this aid shipment, or permanently.

The idea behind this offer is that Hurricane Katrina has badly disrupted production in the Gulf of Mexico, which supplies up to a quarter of America's oil.

In practice, US sanctions may well mean Iran cannot carry through on its offer, but it is a rare gesture of good will.

When an earthquake devastated the Iranian city of Bam nearly two years ago a team of American doctors with medical aid was sent.

Though Iran was thankful for the humanitarian help it never led to a breakthrough in relations.
 
#2
"We'll give you a gift, but only if you give us something in return"?

Truly "a rare gesture of good will". Thank you, BBC, for your keen display of intellectual prowess and unbiased reporting.
 
#3
should confuse the septic public though:

"evil western hating satan offers US aid in its time of need."

be interesting to see how the shaved chimp handles this one.
 

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
#4
Filbert Fox said:
should confuse the septic public though:

"evil western hating satan offers US aid in its time of need."

be interesting to see how the shaved chimp handles this one.
Yup, skilful bit of awkward wrong footing by the madcap mullahs.......the Reuters quote in the New Orleans thread says that BP have already re-started production on rigs in the Gulf of Mexico.


We send half a million rat packs, Iran offers $1300 million in sweet crude........if only George had the balls to say YES PLEASE !


Lee Shaver
 

LARD

War Hero
#6
As the septics have made a play for the EU's oil reserve, what about us having the stuff from Iraq, shoving it through our refineries and
convincing Grabbing Gordon and his buddies to drop our duty rate for a while. Does this make sense? Or am I being naive?
 
#7
Chavez in Venezuela offered to furnish gasoline to the poor of the Gulf Coast.

Castro offered mobile field hospitals and physicians.

There is a certain shrewdness to these offers. Either acceptance or rejection can be exploited to make the administration look bad.
 
#8
cheesypoptart said:
"We'll give you a gift, but only if you give us something in return"?

Truly "a rare gesture of good will". Thank you, BBC, for your keen display of intellectual prowess and unbiased reporting.
Exactly - didn't Kuwait send 500 million barrels?

It seems if you're rich, you do well. If you're relatively poor, not so well. Following the tsunami, Saudi Arabia sent £1 million. I'm guessing a bit here, but is that about 2 seconds oil production or a lot less?
 
#9
Frenchperson wrote

Exactly - didn't Kuwait send 500 million barrels?
Kuwait have sent 500 million barrels? 8O

So FP, with your experience of ship operations and engineering (to do the sums),

Frenchperson's CV - own hand

how many Kuwaiti chartered/owned and taken off original long range operating/upkeep cycle ULCCs/VLCCs are making their way from Kuwait to the USA with these 500 million barrels? Time to load that much crude, time to wash from the last lot, just so happened to have enough ULCCs/VLCCs in port at the time. How many?

I don't doubt Kuwait are helping out and good on them. I just don't believe that you know what you are talking about, in your last or any other post. As you've been told before, stick to what you know.
 
#10
I think the Iranian demand for the lifting of sanctions is more a practical measure rather than the US's part of a hypothetical quid pro quo, given that with the sanctions in place, the Iranian oil probably can't be exported.
 
#11
Seadog said:
Frenchperson wrote

Exactly - didn't Kuwait send 500 million barrels?
Kuwait have sent 500 million barrels? 8O

So FP, with your experience of ship operations and engineering (to do the sums),

Frenchperson's CV - own hand

how many Kuwaiti chartered/owned and taken off original long range operating/upkeep cycle ULCCs/VLCCs are making their way from Kuwait to the USA with these 500 million barrels? Time to load that much crude, time to wash from the last lot, just so happened to have enough ULCCs/VLCCs in port at the time. How many?

I don't doubt Kuwait are helping out and good on them. I just don't believe that you know what you are talking about, in your last or any other post. As you've been told before, stick to what you know.


Come on, man. Am I allowed a typo? I meant 500 million dollars - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9187260/


...which equates to roughly I don't know. OK, you've proved your omniscience but I believe you have serious issues - you really have got too much time on your hands. You need to get out more. Are you in an old folks' home somewhere, tap-tapping away?
 
#12
Frenchperson wrote of moi,

You need to get out more. Are you in an old folks' home somewhere, tap-tapping away?
Hohum Frenchperson,

Who has more time on his/her hands? Compare our membership dates and numbers of posts. With your engineering experience you can do the sums.
I don't need to research and 'Google' engineering, ship operations, Navy stuff. It's what I do.

OK, you've proved your omniscience
Negative. I don't know everything Frenchperson. When it comes to b0llocks, I defer to the master (or mistress!).
 
#13
Frenchperson, exactly how gutted are you, on a scale of 1 to 10, that Singapore selected the F15T over your crappy Rafale today?

Just wondering...
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top