Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Iran military in Syria fire '20 MISSILES' at Israel targets in Golan Heights

then sorry for laying the whole spiel about it - made me feel shitty just recalling it.

I served a year on the Lebanese border in 1981-1982 and I can state categorically that any harm to UN or for that matter civilians could only be a result of individual negligence. Throughout my 3 + 20 years the policy of not involving noncombatants was clear and unfaltering. Shit happens however, particularly in the heat of battle, as a result of which IDF people also get killed or injured.
No need to be sorry about it at all in my view. Sh1t happens in war. Good and bad. I don’t believe any armed forces can claim to be in a position where it hasn’t made any mistakes.

Lebanon anything like being on the receiving end of 107’s in KAF and Bastion?
Well in the past would have been at times except it was Israeli aircraft and 155s
You were directly targeted? No artillery or rockets from anyone other than Israeli’s? All one way?
Not sure about rockets as they were generally aimed at the Israelis. Small arms, RPGs, IEDs certainly
Your first response implies you were directly targeted by the IDF. Obviously both sides were lobbing stuff at each other but were you as UN Peacekeepers purposely targeted by either side?

They have on occasion
Who? IDF or SAA? What action was taken eg representation to Comd that you were ‘directly targeted’?

Who? IDF or SAA? What action was taken eg representation to Comd that you were ‘directly targeted’?
IDF, DFF, “Armed Elements”

Generally UNIFIL would try to deescalate (I’m not aware of any incidents since 2006 due to the peace enforcement mandate) but fire has been returned on occasion

Irish troops with UNDOF have returned fire on rebels on occasion

IDF, DFF, “Armed Elements”

Generally UNIFIL would try to deescalate (I’m not aware of any incidents since 2006 due to the peace enforcement mandate) but fire has been returned on occasion

Irish troops with UNDOF have returned fire on rebels on occasion
You’re 100% sure U.N. troops in the Golan were deliberately targeted by the IDF? You’re mentioning UNIFIL now.
‘Believed to be’? Anyway, it would appear that you were on occasion targeted by IDF or De Facto Forces so doing the UN peacekeeping job is similar to being rocketed in KAF or Bastion.

Going back to your original point of “when is the UK going to join the party?” you think that’s the same as DCC Ops?

You’re 100% sure U.N. troops in the Golan were deliberately targeted by the IDF? You’re mentioning UNIFIL now.
you asked about Lebanon

Afaik there hasn’t been any fire by the IDF on UNDOF positions.

‘Believed to be’? Anyway, it would appear that you were on occasion targeted by IDF or De Facto Forces so doing the UN peacekeeping job is similar to being rocketed in KAF or Bastion.

Going back to your original point of “when is the UK going to join the party?” you think that’s the same as DCC Ops?[/QUOTE]
Either way your being directly targeted

It isn’t the same and it isn’t the holiday camp of Cyprus

you asked about Lebanon
When? I believe we were discussing the Golan Heights?
Afaik there hasn’t been any fire by the IDF on UNDOF positions.
Thank you
Either way your being directly targeted
I believe I agreed with that and it is similar to KAF and BSN rocket attacks
It isn’t the same ...
No, it’s not the same. However, the British Army has been involved with both ‘peacekeeping’ and ‘warfighting’ Ops for years. You only have experience of the former.
...isn’t the holiday camp of Cyprus.
I never said it was. However, you’re querying why the U.K. aren’t helping with U.N. missions when you know they have been and still are involved with war fighting operations and have been for years.

It’s like me asking what Ireland’s contribution is in dealing with the unanimous UNSC Resolution to defeat IS in Iraq and Syria?

It doesn’t cover the costs and the UN is well behind with payments

I wouldn’t call 47 lives a cash cow

UNFICYP is going longer

Then petition the Irish government to pull out.

You can always redeploy to the NI border to enforce customs collections.

They have on occasion

If you insist on sitting in no mans land when two bigger dogs tear into each other, it shoudnt come as a surprise when you get bit.

Top tip: IDF don't do 'proportional' - they understand that in their situation, the old 'Ultra Violence' is the only way to react. If they think you are either directly, or indirectly helping the other side, you become a very legitimate target in their eyes.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
If you insist on sitting in no mans land when two bigger dogs tear into each other, it shoudnt come as a surprise when you get bit.

Top tip: IDF don't do 'proportional' - they understand that in their situation, the old 'Ultra Violence' is the only way to react. If they think you are either directly, or indirectly helping the other side, you become a very legitimate target in their eyes.
Tit.
For some reason the Izzy’s really didnt like the Irish UN force. Described them as the ‘Johnnie Walker battalion’, some sort of humorous take on their supposed habits while on deployment.

As it happened the Irish were one of the few UNs who stood up to the Israelis and prevented them from doing whatever they liked and wanted.
It didn’t go down well and is reputed to have lead to a couple of ‘accidental and unfortunate incidents’.

Last edited:
When? I believe we were discussing the Golan Heights?
you brought up Lebanon in post 49

However, the British Army has been involved with both ‘peacekeeping’ and ‘warfighting’ Ops for years. You only have experience of the former.
correct but since UNPROFOR has there been a major contribution of British troops to any, let’s say more robust, UN mission?

I never said it was. However, you’re querying why the U.K. aren’t helping with U.N. missions when you know they have been and still are involved with war fighting operations and have been for years.
People criticise the UN for not doing enough yet they partially control the mandate and then don’t provide troops.

It’s like me asking what Ireland’s contribution is in dealing with the unanimous UNSC Resolution to defeat IS in Iraq and Syria?
absolutely

But we do have a naval vessel in the Med on the EU mission, we have/had personnel training locals in Mali and Somalia, we had personnel with ISAF.

If we hadn’t have put troops on the ground with UNDOF there was a very high possibility of the mission ceasing, that assists in preventing the conflict spreading (as does UNIFIL).

Tit.
For some reason the Izzy’s really didnt like the Irish UN force. Described them as the ‘Johnnie Walker battalion’, some sort of humorous take on their supposed habits while on deployment.

Im sure there was no reason for the Irish government to ban booze on deployments… oh wait…

Latest Threads