Iran launches new destroyer

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by jimmys_best_mate, Mar 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - Iran state TV shows domestically built destroyer

Iran has launched a domestically built destroyer in the Caspian Sea, according to state TV.
    The Jamaran-2 was inaugurated in the port city of Anzali on the Caspian Sea.
    President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said the deployment was aimed at bolstering peace and friendship in the region

(from the link)

There's a video of the ship on the link. Surface to air and surface to surface missiles, anti aircraft batteries and a heli pad allegedly. Although obviously whether it's real or the same as that fighter they announced a few weeks back is open to debate...
  2. It'd be good to see something alongside it to prove it isn't a model.
  3. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Is it me or does that look a little odd...
  4. 1,500 ton corvette.
    Vosper knock off.
  5. I love the descriptions. Apparently it has "sophisticated radar". That'll be a third hand Decca AWS-1 unit built in 1956 then......
    I bet the Russian Caspian fleet is terrified!
  6. Would that be the land locked Caspian Sea? If so, I think I can see a slight problem.

'Bedstead' air search radar and what looks like a single target illuminating radar atop the bridge. Looks like the Iranian navy has just entered the 1960s.

It's irrelevant anyway. You just need to sneak up behind them at prayer time when they've all got their arrses in the air pointing at Mecca.
    • Like Like x 6
  7. Destroyer?

Looks a bit piddly to me. Barely even a frigate... corvette maybe?
  8. Looks like a copy of the old SAAM class we sold them in the late 60's early 70's. even looks like the old Italian orion fire control radar behind the bridge.
    Hull looks odd. Very uniform, no "ribs" visible almost like it is GRP. Hawse pipe and capstan look duff as well.

By the way Vinnie those Mirror "dingy" kits are now a grand. Mine cost £50 odd quid in around 1979.
    I was watching some in Dun laoghaire port Ireland in December. Crewed by kids in a gale I would not have gone out in they were amazing. More like sit in wind surfers.
  9. Not very effective against the dreaded Mach 3 cricket ball then?
  10. Domestically built?? Does that mean it was put together by a bunch of housewives using empty fairy liquid bottles and sticky-backed tape.?
    • Like Like x 2
  11. I am disappoint. I was expecting something like this:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yup, diesel powered knock offs.
  13. Why put a destroyer in a lake?
    • Like Like x 1
  14. To launch nuclear weapons and blow us to bits for peaceful purposes.