Iran declares nuclear capability

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by sunnoficarus, Feb 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We had an email go round at work today from the top saying we are no longer permitted to do any kind of business with Iran (I currently work for a container shipping company delivering polymers/powders & so forth who have been trying to expand into the middle east), I'm assuming it has something to do with recent developments & sanctions.

• Like Like x 2
  2. I thought they declared nuclear capability ages ago. Must've only declared an intention to gain it...

3. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
  4. They've been nuclear capable Since the fifties when the USA gifted them a fair chunk of nuclear infrastructure.

However, this latest statement clearly points to the proliferation of a nuclear weapons arsenal.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

Fair comment. RT is a little biased but in a different way. Still, Pres I'madinnerjacket hasnt actually done anything other than say something obscure which may mean that he has nuclear capability or not as the case may be. No tests, and Russia arent being that friendly with Iran over nuclear weapons. Lavrov does comment on part of the RT article.

6. He's the far less popular Persian equivalent of BoJo and he said **** all new.
    I don't think friend Arik is flitting towards Lod on this basis.

7. msr

msr LE

All of a sudden Trident does become a useful tool in our armoury...

8. Quite true, if you want to be in the big boy's club you have to have big boy's toys.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Well we did not invade Pakistan which had actually been involved in 9-11.

But a bumpy topography, a population of near 200 million souls and a fairly effective military we have persistently armed already presented a pretty big deterrent. You really don't have to consider their arsenal of nukes to have some pause. One of the most belligerent US politicians in recent history Dick Cheney certainly drove forward regardless The fact is Iraq looked like a soft target and the last QDR suggested it as as target and that is what it became.

The lesson of Iraq is that any weak state pretty much regardless of perceived WMD capacity is easily taken... and then the troubles start.

10. Well I hope we don't have to get involved and the Israelis bomb them into the stone age.

Job jobbed.

11. I note they've also released video extracted from the RQ170 that they didn't topple last year.

And it (really) seems legit.

Bit embarrassing really.

12. A gun type weapon is technically a piece of piss if you have the enriched uranium. You don't even have to test them, its high school physics - 'x' lbs of Uranium + 'x' lbs of Uranium = a guaranteed big bang.

All Iran needs is a viable weapon to join a select club.

Sadaam - no nuke = long drop on a short rope
    Kim Jong Ill - had a nuke = died of old age