Iran decides to build nuclear fusion reactor- Yeah, right.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by HectortheInspector, Jul 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - Iran launches nuclear fusion bid

"Iran has launched a programme aimed at developing a nuclear fusion reactor - an ambition long-cherished by Western nations.

Asghar Sediqzadeh, head of the fusion research institute, said initial studies would last for two years, and a reactor would take 10 years to build.

Fusion is used in hydrogen bombs, but scientists have been unable to harness the energy created in such reactions.

Iran is already under UN sanctions because of its nuclear activities.

The UN acted after Tehran ignored demands to halt its uranium-enrichment programme, amid fears in the West that the country is seeking atomic weapons.

Iran has always maintained its nuclear programme is intended only for peaceful purposes.

At a ceremony to mark the beginning of the fusion project, Mr Sediqzadeh said 50 scientists would be working on the research.

"Iran is one of the first countries to begin research in this field," he said.

"We built one installation about 30 years ago. We had some delays in the past 10 years, [but] we can quickly make up for this time."

Ali Akbar Salehi, the head of the Atomic Energy Organisation of Iran, said the institute would have a budget of 80bn rials (£5.2m; $8m).

He said it would take 20 or 30 years for a fusion plant to become commercially viable.

Scientists across the world have been trying for decades to harness the energy released by fusion reactions.

They believe fusion would be far more efficient and environmentally friendly than current methods of power generation.

Despite small-scale success in laboratories, no-one has yet developed an effective way of channelling energy from a fusion reaction.

The international community agreed to build a fusion facility in France in 2006.

But costs have soared from initial estimates of 5bn euros (£4.2bn; $6.5bn) to something closer to 15bn euros, and progress on construction has been slow."

Since the major nuclear powers have sunk untold billions over decades and still haven't got it to work, I don't see that the Iranians will do it on a $8million budget.
    On the other hand, it's a nice cover to working on converting a primitive fission warhead, into the more sexy, and much more destructive thermonuclear type (The difference between an A-bomb, and an H bomb, in old jargon.)

2. By the beard of the Prophets favourite she goat!

3. I wouldn't laugh too soon, mes amis. The Iranians have something far more valuable than rubies and the laws of physics. They have Allah on their side, and fanatically loyal scientists.

Tam

4. I agree if the figures in the report are correct they are not exactly slinging resources into the project .
    Anyone know whatever happened to Zeta ? our attempt about 30/40 years ago to use Nuclear Fusion to generate energy from sea water ... it too must have been a failure otherwise it would be up and running now ... partly answered my own question I suppose .

5. msr

msr LE

Funny how it has been "20 to 30 years away" for at least the last 50 years...

6. Yaaaaaawwnnnn!, pub in an hour.

7. That explains why they are a leading scientific powerhouse with lots of original research. So much better than just copying the technology developed by other nations.

8. I didn't think she-goats had beards. Perhaps his goat was a trannie.

9. Iran, that hotbed of scientific and intellectual thought…

“A man can have sex with animals such as sheeps, cows, camels and so on. However, he should kill the animal after he has his orgasm. He should not sell the meat to the people in his own village; however, selling the meat to the next door village should be fine.”

“If one commits the act of sodomy with a cow, an ewe, or a camel, their urine and their excrements become impure, and even their milk may no longer be consumed. The animal must then be killed and as quickly as possible and burned.”

"A man can have sexual pleasure from a child as young as a baby. However, he should not penetrate vaginally, but sodomising the child is acceptable. If a man does penetrate and damage the child then, he should be responsible for her subsistence all her life. This girl will not count as one of his four permanent wives and the man will not be eligible to marry the girl's sister... It is better for a girl to marry at such a time when she would begin menstruation at her husband's house, rather than her father's home. Any father marrying his daughter so young will have a permanent place in heaven."

(Ayatollah Khomeini "Tahrirolvasyleh", fourth edition, Qom, Iran, 1990)

And I'll leave you with this to consider…

Mullahs and nuclear fusion?

[​IMG]

10. Who needs original research when you have oodles and oodles and oodles of oil money and lots of competent reverse engineering scientists?

And Allah, of course, :cool:

Tam

11. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

Well Iran needs original research if it hopes to crack the fusion problem. Various German, British, Japanese and American physicists and engineers have been trying toi crack it since before I was born with budgets substantially large that £5million. So far there is ONE large scale research reactor in operation (in the UK as well) and ONE under construction in either Switerland or France (been a LONG time since I had any interest in the nuts and bolts rather than the theory or the science itself TBH).

Iran thinks it can do this in two years with pocket change? I think they are talking shite.

12. I think you mean Shiite

13. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Coming from a region that broadly brought us the concept of zero, they might just be able to decipher (did you see what I did there ;) ) the math and tech...

14. The maths is not that tricky and the tech is pretty much done, it's just the small matter of building a containment vessel of carbon fibre reinforced unobtanium.

15. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

So THAT'S what they're doing on Pandora... ;)