Iran counterfeiting US dollars

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by IndependentBoffin, Mar 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. DEBKAfile, Political Analysis, Espionage, Terrorism, Security

How long will we put up with Iranian mischief?
  2. Been known but DEBKA isnt a very reliable source
  3. Cannot remember where I read it but I seem to recall that there are only two printing press in the world that print US Dollar, one in the USA and the other in Iran.
    I will try to remember which book.
  4. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

I was also mentioned in the recent A Team movie I think. Either that or something about the printing plates was the core of the story anyway.
  5. The Italian printers? one was sold to North Korea
  6. And distributed by the OIRA, allegedly; biting the hand that fed it.

If $, then why not £?
  7. Because, the UK pound is no longer the world currency of choice, the US dollar replaced it thirty or forty years ago as the currency in which the vast majority of international transactions take place.
  8. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

Plus for a long time the Dollar was much easier to counterfeit compared to Sterling. As the older bills have fallen out of circulation it has become much hard to print both. The newer Dollars (2006 onwards) are still not unbeatable but they are certainly a step change. In fact many places now refuse to accept bills that are not post 2006.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. I know, but there are a large number of criminally-produced counterfeit £ notes in circulation, the £ can be traded for goods and other currencies and the UK is not best mates with the main suspects (Iran & N. Korea). My point was that the UK could be vulnerable to such high quality forgeries produced by a national intelligence agency.
  10. I don't see what people have against those nice Iranians and Koreans.

After all, that's what Bernanke is doing anyway. We only call it counterfeiting when private individuals do it; the U.S. government will be printing money until they run out of trees.
  11. Shock ! Iran is causing chaos !!

Wow ! Hardly news is it ??
  12. No, but it is interesting to see that they might be using these unusual tactics in their insane stance toward those who they see as the enemy.

****ing a nation's currency up comes a close 2nd to Atom Bombs for cost, maybe even more.