• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Iran counterfeiting US dollars

DEBKAfile, Political Analysis, Espionage, Terrorism, Security

Two suitcases crammed with counterfeit $100 bills were seized in Kuala Lumpur this week from two Iranian traders who flew in to the Malaysian capital on direct flights from Tehran. One contained 153,000 forged dollars and the second 203,000.

In 2010, when US forces were still present in Iraq, they captured several million American dollars suspected to have been forged in Iran and smuggled into Iraq.
How long will we put up with Iranian mischief?

Cannot remember where I read it but I seem to recall that there are only two printing press in the world that print US Dollar, one in the USA and the other in Iran.
I will try to remember which book.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
Cannot remember where I read it but I seem to recall that there are only two printing press in the world that print US Dollar, one in the USA and the other in Iran.
I will try to remember which book.
I was also mentioned in the recent A Team movie I think. Either that or something about the printing plates was the core of the story anyway.

Because, the UK pound is no longer the world currency of choice, the US dollar replaced it thirty or forty years ago as the currency in which the vast majority of international transactions take place.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Plus for a long time the Dollar was much easier to counterfeit compared to Sterling. As the older bills have fallen out of circulation it has become much hard to print both. The newer Dollars (2006 onwards) are still not unbeatable but they are certainly a step change. In fact many places now refuse to accept bills that are not post 2006.

Because, the UK pound is no longer the world currency of choice, the US dollar replaced it thirty or forty years ago as the currency in which the vast majority of international transactions take place.
I know, but there are a large number of criminally-produced counterfeit £ notes in circulation, the £ can be traded for goods and other currencies and the UK is not best mates with the main suspects (Iran & N. Korea). My point was that the UK could be vulnerable to such high quality forgeries produced by a national intelligence agency.

I don't see what people have against those nice Iranians and Koreans.

After all, that's what Bernanke is doing anyway. We only call it counterfeiting when private individuals do it; the U.S. government will be printing money until they run out of trees.

Shock ! Iran is causing chaos !!

Wow ! Hardly news is it ??
No, but it is interesting to see that they might be using these unusual tactics in their insane stance toward those who they see as the enemy.

****ing a nation's currency up comes a close 2nd to Atom Bombs for cost, maybe even more.

I know, but there are a large number of criminally-produced counterfeit £ notes in circulation, the £ can be traded for goods and other currencies and the UK is not best mates with the main suspects (Iran & N. Korea). My point was that the UK could be vulnerable to such high quality forgeries produced by a national intelligence agency.
I would think the Euro, even with it's current problems, is more acceptable to forgery, simply because of the denominations of it's notes. The UK pounds largest note is for £50, all note designs are changed every several years.

The Euro design dosn't seem to have changed since it's first issue on 1.1.2002 & is produced in denominations up to €500, (aprox. £419), ideal for transporting large amounts of cash & is the second largest reserve currency, as well as the second most traded currency in the world, after the United States dollar.

Latest Threads