Iran- Bahai spy trial

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by HectortheInspector, Jan 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Depressingly the Bahai's have a very bad time of it in Iran, they are one of the targets for show trials on a regular basis. The treatment ranges from general persecution (no access to beyond basic level) through religious desecration (destruction of holy sites) to capital punishment for any number of reasons (executions occur each year).

Quite shocking as the Bahai's I know (a large number as my wife's family is Bahai) are in the main very calm quiet and open people.

2. The Bahai's have come in for stick since the revolution.
    Apparently under the Shah they were seen as favoured and since they did away with him the Bahai's have been unpopular.
  3. Sympathetic_Reaction

I think you'll find they were getting a pretty rough deal prior to the revolution as well. They were the classic pawn in the middle...whenever Iran wanted to demonstrate thier 'western' ideals they'd cart a few Bahai's out and show that they were even letting Apostates live happily amongst them...when they needed to placate the internal religious community they'd give a few Bahais a kicking.

The real problem the Bahais have is that they are Apostates and that is a capital offence in Iran, you can get away with it by keeping your head down but occassionally the powers that be require a whipping pole and they'll pick a few targets - homosexuals, apostates, academics - depending on the current mood and give them a slapping.

4. My bold ...and the current mood is pretty grim. I don't know what's happening to any unfortunate homosexuals, but the apostates are on trial, and the academics tend to get blown up by passing CIA/MOSSAD/BOY SCOUT hit teams, if the Iranian Government is to be believed (see yesterdays news).

This smacks very much of a desperate need to divert public attention towards perceived threats, and away from internal problems. No great comfort for the Bahais, but symptomatic of trouble in the Government. They have been in prison since 2008 without trial, so bringing them out now is a sign that the Government needs to show its diligence in defending Islam, and restate its credentials to the public.
  5. Sorry, I wasn't clear enough I don't think.
    There was a perception that under the Shah the Bahai's were favoured and not persecuted in the way that they should have been.
    In some ways I think they were seen as one of the Shah's failings.
  6. Sympathetic_Reaction

Okay understand what you are saying....Life has definitly been worse since the revolution especially in the past 10 years or so...but it wasn't exactly a picnic in the park beforehand either.