Iran at the tipping point

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, Oct 4, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

An interesting article here:

The unpopularity of the mullahs, primarily with the younger, Western-oriented generation, is causing panic inside the regime. The appeal of revolutionary theocracy has been bled dry. The Christian Science Monitor reported - some would say "reluctantly reported" - that discontent with the regime and a desire for "change" according to various "polls" equals 90 percent. And we all remember those famous soccer games where Iranian fans chanted "USA! USA!"

2. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Now that really would help to stabilise the middle east. Oh what fun! Iran moving toward the US could encourage counter action amongst the Iraqis, post democracy we could have the Iran-Iraq war all over again with the Iranians as good guys this time.

Anyone fancy buying shares in Raytheon before they go sky high?
  3. It's a fair point. For relatively well educated people who currently don't have much material wealth, but notice a whiff of change in the air, what would you rather have: a democratic system incorporating some elements of traditional Islamic culture; or a full-on adulterer stoning, thief hand-chopping, bearded, bug-eyed theocracy. I know which one I'd go for, and I know what the Iraqis I was working with last year wanted. If, and it's a big if, we do manage to get some semblance of democracy going in Iraq, I doubt that many of the current regimes in the Middle-East will survive terribly long. Saudi is already on the skids; Kuwait is fine if you're actually a Kuwaiti citizen, but considerably more than half the population aren't; Syria is pretty dire... the list goes on. For me at least, this is a good reason for sticking with what we started in Iraq, whatever the reasons we got involved in the first place.
  4. we would have to play the long game in Iraq , just like NI.
    my only concern is will we get the kit and the men for it.
  5. sounds good to me, hope the politico's see it that way too.
  6. Well, the Mullahs can at least rest easy knowing that their worldview will be reinforced every time George W Bush opens his mouth to spout off about the "axis of evil".