Iran Appears to be in Another Round of Tghtening Access to Women's Higher Education

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ehwhat, Aug 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ehwhat

ehwhat Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Women's education and opportunities in Iran have been very difficult for some time. The report from the USIP (first link below) suggests that there is another round of tightening going on. This is not a good sign. The second link is from the same source providing a brief outline/timeline of prominent women in primarily Post Shah Iran. The third link is for the activist site Change for Equality. The Farsi and English sites are similar, but not identical.

Iran Curtails Female Education | The Iran Primer

The Women's Movement | The Iran Primer

siteon0-38e4a.jpg
    Change for Equality
    تغییر برای برابری

2. God is Great.

3. My God, the injustice, does this mean we can rain them with cluster munitions?

4. The poor stupid fools.

Have they got any idea of the holocaust that awaits them once the news breaks on mumsnet?

• Like Like x 2
  5. They share my happy position of not giving a **** what those pointless harpies think. Does this mean Sharia's crept up on me?

If it's been sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk then I'm probably pissed.

6. Brilliant fist post.

I bet nobody had thought of that.

7. IRGC QF will have a contingency plan, involving Burkas and a safe house in the Beqaa Valley.

8. I don't see what the problem is, one of our biggest mistakes was teaching them to read in the first place!

9. I'm sure I know what you meant to type really!

10. I am so outraged by this ??NEWS?? I've decided to put the kettle on for a cuppa. :wink:

What's your angle on this ehwhat??

Are you one of the 'must bomb the heathen Mullahs in Tehran back to the stoneage'? Or are you one of the women's lib warriors who thinks it is your right/responsibility to meddle in other society's affairs from the comfort of your Berkshire (or similar) estate?

11. My God, they must be stopped. Our young ladies are all failing Media Studies, puking up Bacardi Breezers into their drug filled handbags and overdosing on pies. There's a brainy bint gap I tell you.

Even with these reforms they are producing hordes of highly educated tarts that have to wear a bags and so are filled with sublimated rage. As a result they are probably all evil nuclear scientists plotting to wipe the Zionist Entity from the pages of history.

12. ehwhat

Clearly, I should have foregone the pleasures of working in the garden with the family and stayed closer to the computer.

To briefly respond to some of the questions/statements.
    I support CCM, so no cluster --- bombs.
    The reading issue is likely to be solved by 50 Shades of Grey. People in authority have been quoted for many years as saying that the subsequent activity is supposed to lead to eventual blindness.
    Stoneage usually refers to Glastonbury. And while tempted, I'm not willing to bomb them either, as they already are and wouldn't notice. Mullah that one for a while, if you wish. I'll drink my Lapsang while you do.
    Meddling is a slippery slope and I ski very poorly.

It is a truism that women in the region are often underestimated and ignored. It is also a point of note that women and women's organizations have been remarkably visible in activist roles in recent events both within Iran and other nations. Push-back by controlling access to education, jobs etc. was to be expected. Noting when it occurs and the manner in which it is accomplished is informative. I think that many people would agree that there is a growing visible and vocal disjunction within Iran. Whether this will be meaningful in terms of change and in which direction is very much undecided. This was simply one aspect.

Dr. Fatemeh Haghighatjoo is one of the more interesting writers on this subtopic. I find her articles from the time when she first resigned as a MP Iran and her subsequent incarceration to be some of the most useful. Her analysis from the 2009 election was also insightful. I found her to be an excellent speaker and conversationalist and would encourage taking advantage of any opportunity to meet or hear her. Unfortunately for most of us, she is currently in the US.

13. ehwhat

Try not to jam the satire/irony button through the keyboard. Appreciated it though.

All joking aside and looking at some of your previous posts, we both know that the general population of Iran is not virulently anti-Western or particularly interested in wiping out Israel or anyone else.

14. Difficult to bomb them back to the stone age, they are already there, culturally speaking. Many of the people I came into contact with during the half year I lived said that they would welcome being bombed if it meant an end to the regime they were forced to live under.

15. You only lived half a year?! There was me thinking you had lived a lot longer.

Anyway, back to the thread, are we supposed to care about any of this?