Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Iran and Russia Seal Missile Deal

Nehustan said:
Scarey thing is I KNOW they think the future will consider them (i.e. Blair and Bush) heroes....

People at the very top can have strange ideas on that particular subject.

I remember reading that Heinrich Himmler actually expected to negotiate with Eisenhower to be kept on as pan-European chief of police in post-Hitler Europe. He figured he was going to explain to them how "indispensable" he was.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Not_Whistlin_Dixie said:
People at the very top can have strange ideas on that particular subject.

I remember reading that Heinrich Himmler actually expected to negotiate with Eisenhower to be kept on as pan-European chief of police in post-Hitler Europe. He figured he was going to explain to them how "indispensable" he was.

Yep I heard that story. Personally I subscribe to what I call the inverted pyramid version of political theory, great thing is middle management (where every one knows the real work is done) stays in exactly the same place...and nowhere better to be than what appears to everyone as the base.

(...and as a subtext the point of our pyramid is HM and heirs, now call me Joseph :twisted: but it's a long way down Tony...)

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
"This demonstrates our resolve to do what we can to bring security and stability to the region ... (and) dissuade others from acting counter to our national interest," Aandahl said.

U.S. President George W. Bush announced earlier this month that the United States was taking other steps to beef up security of Iraq and protect U.S. interests in the Middle East, such as sending an additional aircraft carrier to the Gulf and deploying Patriot air defense systems to the region.

That's what you get for voting in a jock, actually not even a jock a cheerleader. I guess he stands of the pitch cheering his team. Sad thing is in this game people die, people who really should still be home on the farm with their folks...

[align=center]
[/align]

[align=center]"Give me a C..H..I..C..K..E..N..H..A..W..K!!!"[/align]

tomahawk6 said:
Did notice that the RN has deployed two minehunters to the Gulf for a 2 year deployment. Nice to have if you need to keep the oil tankers moving.

Not likely. Between submarines, mines, ASMs and attack aircraft the Iranians could close off the place if they wanted to and were prepared to take the military and diplomatic kicking they'd receive in return. Hell, simply load up a speedboat or Cessna light aircraft with a cargo of dynamite or Semtex and tell them to go kamikaze the nearest foreign owned supertanker. IIRC the Red Team used that idea to wipe out more than half the US fleet in a war game a while back and those were naval vessels with defensive weapons who were expecting to get hit.

All they'd have to do was hit a couple, or even make them think they could, and the markets would go into bloody meltdown. You know how twitchy they are. Plus you could expect Lloyd's and the like to classify it as a war zone and either refuse to insure or severely rip the arrse out of the premiums on any vessels that went near the region. That wouldn't encourage any of the tanker owners either.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Brick said:
tomahawk6 said:
Did notice that the RN has deployed two minehunters to the Gulf for a 2 year deployment. Nice to have if you need to keep the oil tankers moving.

Not likely. Between submarines, mines, ASMs and attack aircraft the Iranians could close off the place if they wanted to and were prepared to take the military and diplomatic kicking they'd receive in return. Hell, simply load up a speedboat or Cessna light aircraft with a cargo of dynamite or Semtex and tell them to go kamikaze the nearest foreign owned supertanker. IIRC the Red Team used that idea to wipe out more than half the US fleet in a war game a while back and those were naval vessels with defensive weapons who were expecting to get hit.

All they'd have to do was hit a couple, or even make them think they could, and the markets would go into bloody meltdown. You know how twitchy they are. Plus you could expect Lloyd's and the like to classify it as a war zone and either refuse to insure or severely rip the arrse out of the premiums on any vessels that went near the region. That wouldn't encourage any of the tanker owners either.

The deal is expected to open up opportunities for increased Saudi trade and investment in Yemen, a possible pipeline across Yemen to the Arabian Sea (see below for more details), and the possible award of oil and gas exploration rights for areas in Yemen adjacent to previously disputed areas of the border. In February 2001, Saudi Arabia and Syria signed a bilateral free-trade agreement.
On June 11, 2001, Saudi Arabia announced (in a letter to UN Secretary General Kofi Annan) that it was taking ownership of Iraq's pipeline to the Saudi Red Sea coast (closed since August 1990), citing Iraqi threats and aggressive actions, including (allegedly) a series of cross-border raids in recent months. Saudi Arabia said that Iraq's behaviour had "destroyed any rationale for maintaining the [pipeline] facilities."

[align=center]Source[/align]

Interesting, wonder how far this is progressed???? It would certainly explain the Somalia/horn of Africa dynamic, I presume Jeddah isn't a million miles away???

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
NY Times

Iraq Said to Plan Oil Pipeline

AP
Published: August 9, 1981

Iraq plans to build a pipeline linking its oilfields to a terminal on the Red Sea south of Aqaba, the Jordanian daily Al Rai reported today. The pipeline, which will run across Saudi Arabia's northern desert, will provide a new shipping outlet for Iraq's oil, the paper said.

NY Times

Iraqi Pipeline to Start

AP
Published: July 11, 1989

LEAD: Iraq's $1.5 billion oil pipeline across Saudi Arabia to the Red Sea will open on schedule in September, significantly increasing its export capacity, the Middle East Economic Survey reported today. But Iraq said it would adhere to its OPEC production limit of 2.783 million barrels a day despite its increased capacity.

Iraq's $1.5 billion oil pipeline across Saudi Arabia to the Red Sea will open on schedule in September, significantly increasing its export capacity, the Middle East Economic Survey reported today. But Iraq said it would adhere to its OPEC production limit of 2.783 million barrels a day despite its increased capacity. The weekly quoted a senior Iraqi oil official as saying that the 580-mile pipeline would not be delayed by a four-month strike at the Hyundai Engineering and Construction Company of South Korea, which was producing units for an offshore terminal.

Bet they've had their eye on this for ages... :plotting:

F

fozzy

Devil_Dog said:
The 9K331-TOR M1 seems like an effective AA system. It would wreck havoc on low flying aircraft.

TOR (SA-15 or GAUNTLET in NATO speak) is a very capable system. Think VL Seawolf in a tank.

Voyager

Old-Salt
THe Russians have form - they helped the Germans break The Treaty of Versailles and build armaments factories in the USSR and a Junkers factory - Guderian and Galland and others were trained in Russia near the Frunze Military Academy.

Hitler stopped the cooperation which had gone on since 1919 - but sent the Wehrmacht to visit its old training grounds in Russia in June 1941.

When the oil price falls Putin will look pretty stupid

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Voyager said:
THe Russians have form - they helped the Germans break The Treaty of Versailles and build armaments factories in the USSR and a Junkers factory - Guderian and Galland and others were trained in Russia near the Frunze Military Academy.

Hitler stopped the cooperation which had gone on since 1919 - but sent the Wehrmacht to visit its old training grounds in Russia in June 1941.

When the oil price falls Putin will look pretty stupid

Yep you could be right, especially if that drop in price is met by an increase in alternative energies. I mean if Nuclear power replaces oil and other hydrocarbons as proposed they'll be really knackered :wink:

Yokel

LE
1. Go to You Tube
2. Enter IRAN and NAVY as search terms
3. Watch the videos
4. Think of the shipping in the Gulf, seaborne logistics for Iraq etc
5. Panic!

Latest Threads