Iran and Russia Seal Missile Deal

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by The_0ne, Jan 16, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Source -

2. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

You have to love the've been smiling about this since I heard about it. I haven't heard much about that naval base in Syria...has anyone else?
  3. No. I think I drew the same conclusion you did.

Just how many of these TOR-M1 units are they buying is what I'd like to know.
  4. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Well by the time zero hour arrives, Bliar will be retired, and I can't see anyone else buying into a Persian Picnic, least of all remaining parliamentarians...
  5. Maybe. But maybe his retirement date defines the deadline for launching the attack for the very reason you mention.
  6. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Surely it will be before the recess, i.e. Party conference season as he outlined. Thus parliament will be in session, can't see them going with him this time?
  7. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Now I know jack about missiles, but the way it deploys looks very interesting, lots of scope for being dug in and masking heat?

(P.S. I think that double launch at the end was an edit)
  8. Did notice that the RN has deployed two minhunters to the Gulf for a 2 year deployment. Nice to have if you need to keep the oil tankers moving.
  9. Reputed capabilities of TOR-M1:

Each fire unit can engage and launch missiles against two separate targets.

Tor M1 can detect and track up to 48 targets (minimum radar cross section of 0.1 square meter) at a maximum range of 25 km. and engage two of them simultaneously. at a speed of up to 700 m/sec and at a distance of 1 to 12 km. The system's high lethality (aircraft kill probability of 0.92 - 0.95) is maintained at an altitude of 10 - 6,000 m."

"Tor M1 9M330 Air Defense System (Russia)"

Now here is a scarier Russian missile, the Moskit anti-shipping cruise missile.

The linked article says Iran might be one of the happy owners.
  10. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I still think the first video is edited to show a double launch but in the second at 3:24 the second vehicle definitely double launches.
  11. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I have a feeling we may well be buying our oil from the Maybe they can throw some surface to air systems into the bargain :twisted:

(now I wonder how many company mischief makers you have in the Caucasus and White Russia?)
  12. I no longer remember where I read this but supposedly the DoD tried to buy a specimen Moskit and the Russians said: nothing doing.
  13. They fact that the RN would do that now makes me think (not an original thought on my part) that the strike has already decided upon for the near future.
  14. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Ok I know this is of topic (and a tinfoil statement) but how much do you want to bet that nonsense in Belarus had Langley behind it at six degrees of separation??? Can't have Europe with a reliable oil supply from the Russians now can we??? That would be against 'US Interests'... :wink: