Iran and Russia Seal Missile Deal

Source - http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=123&art_id=qw1168959060947B262

Moscow - Russia said on Tuesday it had delivered new anti-aircraft missile systems to Iran and would consider further requests by Tehran for defencive weapons.

Washington and Israel, who accuse Tehran of seeking to develop nuclear arms and undermining security in the region, have criticised the sale of TOR-M1 missiles. Tehran, they say, could use them against its neighbours.

"We have supplied the modern short-range anti-aircraft systems TOR-M1 in accordance with our contracts," Defence Minister Sergei Ivanov told reporters when asked about the sale.

"We're developing our military and technical cooperation with Iran in accordance with international law and will continue to develop it," he said. "And if Iran wants to buy defencive, I underline defencive, equipment for its armed forces then why not?"

Ivanov, who is also a deputy prime minister and is seen as a potential successor to President Vladimir Putin, did not say how many missile systems had been delivered or when the deliveries took place.

Russian arms sales and nuclear cooperation with Iran have strained relations with Washington, which suspects Tehran of using a nuclear power programme as cover for development of atomic weapons.

Russia, building Iran's first nuclear power plant in Bushehr, says Tehran does not have the capability to make nuclear weapons. Iran says it has a right to develop its civilian nuclear sector and denies seeking nuclear arms.

A defence ministry source later told Reuters deliveries of hardware under the $1-billion TOR-M1 missile deal had not yet been completed.

Late in 2006 Russia reluctantly joined UN sanctions against Iran, which introduced restrictions on Iran's trade in sensitive nuclear materials and technology, aimed at curbing Tehran's nuclear ambitions.

But Moscow says the sanctions do not apply to the missile systems, which are designed to shoot down aircraft, missiles and other weapons at medium and low altitudes.

"Iran is not under any sanctions," Ivanov said. "The UN resolution that was accepted and for which the Russian Federation voted, does not apply to contracts made by Iran."

The Russian military insists that the missile systems will protect Iran from air attacks, but do not pose a threat to neighbouring countries.

Russia dropped the idea of selling longer-range S300 anti-aircraft missiles to Iran last year, Russian news agencies have reported.

The US in 2006 imposed sanctions on leading Russian arms firms over arms sales to Iran and Syria. One of the firms, Rosoboronexport, Russia's biggest arms exporter, is headed by an old colleague from Putin's KGB's past, Sergei Chemezov.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
You have to love the Russians...lol...I've been smiling about this since I heard about it. I haven't heard much about that naval base in Syria...has anyone else?

Nehustan said:
You have to love the Russians...lol...I've been smiling about this since I heard about it. I haven't heard much about that naval base in Syria...has anyone else?
No. I think I drew the same conclusion you did.

Just how many of these TOR-M1 units are they buying is what I'd like to know.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Not_Whistlin_Dixie said:
Nehustan said:
No. I think I drew the same conclusion you did.

Just how many of these TOR-M1 units are they buying is what I'd like to know.
Well by the time zero hour arrives, Bliar will be retired, and I can't see anyone else buying into a Persian Picnic, least of all remaining parliamentarians...

Nehustan said:
Well by the time zero hour arrives, Bliar will be retired, and I can't see anyone else buying into a Persian Picnic, least of all remaining parliamentarians...
Maybe. But maybe his retirement date defines the deadline for launching the attack for the very reason you mention.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Surely it will be before the recess, i.e. Party conference season as he outlined. Thus parliament will be in session, can't see them going with him this time?

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Now I know jack about missiles, but the way it deploys looks very interesting, lots of scope for being dug in and masking heat?

(P.S. I think that double launch at the end was an edit)

Did notice that the RN has deployed two minhunters to the Gulf for a 2 year deployment. Nice to have if you need to keep the oil tankers moving.

Reputed capabilities of TOR-M1:

Each fire unit can engage and launch missiles against two separate targets.

Tor M1 can detect and track up to 48 targets (minimum radar cross section of 0.1 square meter) at a maximum range of 25 km. and engage two of them simultaneously. at a speed of up to 700 m/sec and at a distance of 1 to 12 km. The system's high lethality (aircraft kill probability of 0.92 - 0.95) is maintained at an altitude of 10 - 6,000 m."

"Tor M1 9M330 Air Defense System (Russia)"
http://www.defense-update.com/products/t/tor.htm

Now here is a scarier Russian missile, the Moskit anti-shipping cruise missile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-270_Moskit

The linked article says Iran might be one of the happy owners.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
I still think the first video is edited to show a double launch but in the second at 3:24 the second vehicle definitely double launches.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
tomahawk6 said:
Did notice that the RN has deployed two minhunters to the Gulf for a 2 year deployment. Nice to have if you need to keep the oil tankers moving.
I have a feeling we may well be buying our oil from the Russians...lol. Maybe they can throw some surface to air systems into the bargain :twisted:

(now I wonder how many company mischief makers you have in the Caucasus and White Russia?)

Nehustan said:
I have a feeling we may well be buying our oil from the Russians...lol. Maybe they can throw some surface to air systems into the bargain :twisted:
I no longer remember where I read this but supposedly the DoD tried to buy a specimen Moskit and the Russians said: nothing doing.

tomahawk6 said:
They fact that the RN would do that now makes me think (not an original thought on my part) that the strike has already decided upon for the near future.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Ok I know this is of topic (and a tinfoil statement) but how much do you want to bet that nonsense in Belarus had Langley behind it at six degrees of separation??? Can't have Europe with a reliable oil supply from the Russians now can we??? That would be against 'US Interests'... :wink:

The 9K331-TOR M1 seems like an effective AA system. It would wreck havoc on low flying aircraft.

Seems to me that the war of proxies by proxies is well underway. Iran and Syria fighting a proxy war against Israel in Lebanon, the US fighting a proxy war against Iran and Syria in Lebanon and Israel, and Russia and the US fighting a proxy war against each other in Iran and Iraq.

Is WW3 well underway or is the groundwork being laid?

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Not_Whistlin_Dixie said:
tomahawk6 said:
They fact that the RN would do that now makes me think (not an original thought on my part) that the strike has already decided upon for the near future.
Well they are definitely running out of time...these cats are gonna go down in history for sure, and for all the wrong (tho' thouroghly deserved) reasons. Scarey thing is I KNOW they think the future will consider them (i.e. Blair and Bush) heroes....Oh dear you went all in red and it came up black...House wins.

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
Devil_Dog said:
The 9K331-TOR M1 seems like an effective AA system. It would wreck havoc on low flying aircraft.

Seems to me that the war of proxies by proxies is well underway. Iran and Syria fighting a proxy war against Israel in Lebanon, the US fighting a proxy war against Iran and Syria in Lebanon and Israel, and Russia and the US fighting a proxy war against each other in Iran and Iraq.

Is WW3 well underway or is the groundwork being laid?
Well to continue the gambling analogy we know who keeps upping the ante...

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
And my bet is that it isn't scheduled for a North American theatre...