IRA to puts down arms

Just came up on sky

The IRA paramilitary movement will put down its arms from 4pm today.

A statement from the republicans said it would put an end to its armed struggle and devote efforts towards peaceful solutions

The long-awaited pledge instructed all IRA members to "assist the development of purely political and democratic programmes through exclusively peaceful means".

The leadership said it will invite one witness each from the Protestant and Catholic churches to witness the disarmament
http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1190536,00.html?f=dta

Only because the American govt have cold shouldered them and now they are cut off from all forms of financial support after that 'little' bank job a while back!

Retired to concentrate on gangsterism, extortion and organised crime?

So the IRA will disarm,

wonder what name they will move to now and continue!!

question is what has our goverment given them as an incentive to issue statement

Twist_To_Open said:
question is what has our goverment given them as an incentive to issue statement
They've already released Sean Kelly, the Shankill bomber, to an uproar from the unionist population and are closing quite a few PSNI bases around the country :evil:

Twist_To_Open said:
I would hate to think what Tony and his Cronies have done to get he IRA to do this; however letting convicted killers out of nick springs to mind!

The next question is...Who won? Us or them?!!!

As I understood it andaccording to De Chastalain and 'Billy' Blair the IRA had placed all their weapons into dumps already......whats the term they used for the Good Friday Agreement?.........................argh Decommissioned!

oh yeah, just like the Soviets did with all those thousands of tanks and arty pieces in warehouses...and the US with the aricraft graveyards in the Mojave desert :)

Unknown_Quantity

War Hero
Can we take it as read that PIRA, CIRA, RIRA and any other quasi-IRA group are doing buisiness as normal?

During the NI Troubles, the IRA was blamed for about 1,800 murders.

weasel words from the beeb again

I think it's great news - a move towards democracy. Let's give it a chance.

Just a pity it didn't happen 30 years earlier. The original struggle was about political and economic parity, which they have had for a number of years. Let's hope that the province settles down. If the people, at some point in the future want Irish unity then let them vote for it. I hope they (the republican community) finally lift the stigma of nationalist men and women joining the police (or armed forces). Embracing law and order in this way at least takes away the unionist/loyalist argument of the 'criminal elements' (oh how ironic).

Would you rather still be at war?

PD

cpunk

LE
On the face of it good news. Of course, the devil will be in the detail and it remains to be seen how a number of issues are going to be addressed, not the least of which will be verification of their 'disarmament' and their attitude to normal policing. I imagine the major concessions by Blair and co are going to be associated with the 'demilitarisation' of the Province and I bet we'll hear something about that before too long.

Peace in Ireland. Would make me happy but I doubt I'll be happy for long.
john
Luvly comment on Beeb, Adams must contunue to deny he was ever IRA or he would be open to civil law suits for his crimes against humanity.

PoisonDwarf said:
I think it's great news - a move towards democracy. Let's give it a chance.

(oh how ironic).

PD
A move towards democracy? We're not talking about Stalinist Russia or Nazi Germany, we're talking about a part of the United Kingdom. We've had democracy for longer than anywhere else on Planet Earth.

As for 'rather having the killing', we could have had peace in 1940 quite easily too.

And people are blaming the BBC for weasel words.

And what about the "continuity IRA" and the "real IRA" and other assorted lunatic fringe groups. Nothing said about the prods either!

did you think it was going to end with someones foot on the chest of gerry and a pile of dead provos
:lol: :lol:
much as that vision appeals to me .
it was never going to happen.
hopefully this turns out to be true and paisley isn't allowed to spit it pack in there face :evil: