IRA Ready To Scrap Weapons In Days

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by CardinalSin, Sep 7, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. MoD Oracle News Report dated 3 Sep 05

I haven't seen this news article on any other thread. Pse accept my apologies if someone's already covered it.

2. I intend to be properly enthused about this when it happens and I'm convinced that it has happened. Until then, I'll be properly cynical about the motives of the most professionally organised group of evil gangsters in Western Europe.

3. What about the Loyalist weapons.

4. Believe it when I see it.

Every year, the IRA/SF does its little 'Peace is breaking out all over' song and dance, and wins some concessions from HMG; every year, the IRA/SF either reneges on its side of the bargain or never carries it out in the first place.

It wasn't very long ago that the IRA announced it was withdrawing from the decommissioning process.

smithie

5. 8O
    I was born in Armagh, NI. Was educated there and lived with the regular day to day terrorist threat of violence. My father during his regular army service spent nine years with the UDR. My brother served five himself.
    Personally I will believe that the IRA will totally disarm when Gerry Adams flashes his ample a**e in full public view on national TV!

Gerry.......bite me!!!!!

6. You took the words right out of my mouth!

In fact, that's the question I've been asking since this whole farce began.

MsG

7. Oh too see a peaceful Ireland.
    Talk Talk Talk the eternal Irish problem.
    "dismantling its weapons arsenal within days and decommissioning should be completed in weeks"
    Translate that for me.
    I do not beleive the Republicans will become without arms, just as the Prods never will.
    Blur will claim a victory for his policies, but we above all know what a lieing Barstward he is.
    john
    Not in my lifetime, I do regret.

8. Even if the scrap all the arms they have NI, what about the stockpiles in the Republic? The IRA will NEVER totally disarm. Its a farce...

9. Can't see it happening "in days" now.

It'll be at least a month before they'll get above the "wee, old woman who once fed David Healey's cat" in the headlines.

10. To all these people who think the IRA will not disarm in our lifetime - what do you think their plan is? to lull the British Army into leaving NI and then restart the war? what?

I reckon they will disarm... Sure - they are making a song and dance about it and dragging it out for as long as possible to earn as many concessions as possible... this endgame is boring and frustrating to watch but the outcome is decided - a peaceful NI...

To answer Phil306's point about stockpiles in the south... my understanding is that Gen John De Chastelain and the Decomissioning Body cover both NI and the south...

Tricam.

11. Depends by what is meant by 'dis-arm' will that include all the weapons in deep hides such as plug hides in probably more than one or two houses in some Nationalist areas! bet it wont!
    Agree with you tricam on a peaceful NI,but what of PIRA/Sinn Fein's new activities,all those so called big hard men are not suddenly going to be nice to everyone and loose their 'respect'/hold on local communities,drugs being the main one!
    3 PIRA members helping Columbian terrs in return for what? good supply of best Columbian marching powder perhaps.
    We will see.

12. Oh come on, you truly believe the IRA is going to give up all of their arms to the Brits? Come on now. If you believe that, I have some beach front property in Arizona to sell you.

The IRA isn't going to give up everything, "just in case." No, I don't believe they will start the war up again, if the Brits pull out. However, how are they going to fund their activities? Lets be honest here, there are several members of the IRA who made big bucks over the "troubles." They are used to lavish lifestyles now. You think they are just going to go back to being simple farmers? Hell no. The robberies, drug deals, extortion, etc the IRA is famous for will continue. And to do that, they need weapons. They aint giving up jack...

13. I don't understand, I thought Arizona was land locked?

Phil306 - I didn't read your original post properly. I agree they won't completely 100% disarm but I do believe the vast majority of it, especially the hardcore stuff, will be decommisioned. I suppose in their language a 'significant' act of 'verifible' 'putting arms beyond use' will occur. As you say they will be just another criminal gang and I hope they will get defeated using conventional policing.

Tricam

ps - was joking about the Arizona bit.

14. No I believe they will give up some weapons Phil . What will they exchange for Heroin and Cannabis with mainland UK drug gangs otherwise?

15. Ok, I can agree with that. I believe they will also give up SOME of their weapons. However, they will not completely disarm. Again, I don't know the answer to all of the problems there...Never fought there, although I have visited several times. Its a very complex, difficult situation. One which isn't going to be solved overnight. However, based upon my readings of history, etc the IRA is TOTALLY untrustworthy. I wouldn't take them at their word to anything.