Ira Not Defeated

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Uladh, Jul 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Did anybody ever think we had.

2. thats what i thought so why make news of it

3. It's pretty difficult for any Government to defeat 'organised crime' at the scale to which the IRA took it.

4. It describes the IRA as "a professional, dedicated, highly skilled and resilient force", while loyalist paramilitaries and other republican groups are described as "little more than a collection of gangsters".

doesnt sound like organised crime to me

5. If an enemy unilaterally lays down its arms and stops visiting violence on the other side - what is it called?

A victory perhaps?

Can You name me the aims that PIRA realised, the objectives it achieved.

If a military or terrorist organisation gives up its struggle without carrying out that which it was set up to do - what is it called?

6. professional - Hmm not certain, but as terror groups go i suppose so.

dedicated - yes.

highly skilled - Well as with 1, for terrorists yes toward the end, but it isnt a high bar.

resilient - only after Thatcher was removed and executive action was taken off the table, up until then they were getting the shoe-ing of their lives and were on the ropes.

7. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

But the same applies to both sides. The article is accurate - we didn't beat them; neither could it be said that they won.

8. Then that only goes to show that you have very little subject matter knowledge and should shut the f*ck up.

9. What was the British Armys stated objectives in the Troubles, and which ones were not acheived?

10. Neither side was ever going to achieve victory in a traditional military sense but in 1993 it wasn't the British approaching PIRA/PSF to say "the war is over but we need your advice on how to end it".

I also don't remember any foriegn gentlemen watching my weapon being destroyed or my commanders having to announce "a complete cessation of all military activities".

11. Uladh

Have You served mate, and has Your name anything to do with Fianna Uladh/Saor Uladh?

12. The IRA have been credited for many years now as having the best intel gathering network ever seen

there wasnt a lot going on that they didnt know about