Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IRA Funding from America.

• Thread starter Deleted 24582
  • Start date
Before or after we allowed the Yanks to kill his family, from a UK base. I was too young to remember.
First Libyan Shipments were in 72-73 thanks to Joe Cahill
Shipments stopped in 76 and started again after Bobby Sands died in 81

Sharpen your crayon.... answers are in the in white text (highlight to see)

1. What are the GCSE grades in England ?
2. What are the GCSE grades in Wales ?
3. What are the GCSE grades in Northern Ireland?
4. What are the GCSE grades in Scotland ?

-
1. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 & U
2. A*,A,B,C,D,E,F,G & U
3 A*,A,B,C*,C,D,E,F,G,& U
4 They do SQC's
Depends on the exam board, except for Scotland which do Highers or something else, forgotten what.

Last edited:
Welsh Second Language - is that offered Nationally ?
Yes. If a child wants to do it then the school can provide the exams.

Same way that my school had a child do a GCSE in a Bangladeshi language, despite not running any classes or offering it as an option.

Out of curiosity are any available online?
Loads. The two main exam boards are AQA and Edexcel. Searching for their websites, GCSE and the 9-1 specification will get you loads of examples along with markschemes.

So their students scores have no effect on the teachers career?
No, teachers are subject to performance management. However, the teacher has absolutely no say whatsoever in the grades awarded.

Unless it's a subject involving coursework in which case all bets are off. Or primary where the results are consistently over optimistic.

endure

GCM
Loads. The two main exam boards are AQA and Edexcel. Searching for their websites, GCSE and the 9-1 specification will get you loads of examples along with markschemes.

What's the difference between Foundation Tier and Higher Tier?

Just had a look at the Maths papers for 2018 and compared them with online examples of the 1968 O level papers and, given my obvious bias, the 1968 papers seem to be more difficult.

There are questions I can't answer on the 2018 paper but that's because we didn't do stats or vectors back in the day. We also had log tables rather than calculators.

What's the difference between Foundation Tier and Higher Tier?

Just had a look at the Maths papers for 2018 and compared them with online examples of the 1968 O level papers and, given my obvious bias, the 1968 papers seem to be more difficult.

There are questions I can't answer on the 2018 paper but that's because we didn't do stats or vectors back in the day. We also had log tables rather than calculators.
Foundation is the easier paper, grades available are 1-5 (equivalent to old G-C). Higher is the harder paper, grades available are 4-9 (equivalent to old C-A* and a theoretical A**). Not achieving a 4 on a higher paper means a fail without a grade.

Did Ahmed pass ?
Not a scooby. I only know about it because a colleague speaks the same language/dialect and so was asked to be the official spoken exam assessor which saved the school having to pay some external bod god knows how much to sit and listen to a teenager prattle on about nothing.

The fact that said colleague can't actually write the language in question and teaches science, not languages, is neither here nor there, they can speak it which is all the exam board cared about.

In order to go on to Grad school, after one acquires their Bachelor’s degree. You might have to pass the GRE (link above). I was sweating bullets on the maths portion, as it was a pain for a yokel.

Not to be a nitpicking pedant but:

The GRE is for grad school in arts and sciences (history, economics, chemistry, biology etc)

There are other exams for professional schools:
Medical Schools - MCAT
Dental Schools - DAT
Law School - LSAT
Graduate business and Management - GMAT

When I applied for the Master of Public Administration program at Harvard-Kennedy School I applied outside of the regular admissions cycle and had been accepted on my resume, essay etc without the GMAT but was asked to take the GMAT for statistical reasons. I was therefor quite relaxed taking it. While waiting for the exam to start I was chatting with other test takers and all were talking about "where are you applying". When I mentioned that I had been accepted already there was a bit of shock.

In all honesty I doubt very much if I was accepted on pure brilliance but because Kennedy School likes to have a class drawn from many different sectors of government. It is a good policy. When I was taking a terrorism course that focussed primarily on Mideastern terrorism I was very worried as I could not mentally keep track of all the damned Palestinian groups, all with similar names and with leaders with difficult to remember (for me) names. I spotted a classmate wandering past me who had just returned from a tour in Damascus with The Agency. He sat down and drew up a sort of family tree showing which group had split off from another and the reason and which groups had coalesced into coalitions like Black September. I was able to figure out terrorist groups like the RAF, Brigate Neri, Brigate Rosse etc myself.

I was able to figure out terrorist groups like the RAF,
I know they aren't popular around here but that's going a bit far.

Edit - and before anyone goes throwing a strop I'm well aware David meant the Red Army Faction / Baader-Meinhof.

Last edited:
D

Deleted 24582

Not to be a nitpicking pedant but:

The GRE is for grad school in arts and sciences (history, economics, chemistry, biology etc)

There are other exams for professional schools:
Medical Schools - MCAT
Dental Schools - DAT
Law School - LSAT
Graduate business and Management - GMAT

When I applied for the Master of Public Administration program at Harvard-Kennedy School I applied outside of the regular admissions cycle and had been accepted on my resume, essay etc without the GMAT but was asked to take the GMAT for statistical reasons. I was therefor quite relaxed taking it. While waiting for the exam to start I was chatting with other test takers and all were talking about "where are you applying". When I mentioned that I had been accepted already there was a bit of shock.

In all honesty I doubt very much if I was accepted on pure brilliance but because Kennedy School likes to have a class drawn from many different sectors of government. It is a good policy. When I was taking a terrorism course that focussed primarily on Mideastern terrorism I was very worried as I could not mentally keep track of all the damned Palestinian groups, all with similar names and with leaders with difficult to remember (for me) names. I spotted a classmate wandering past me who had just returned from a tour in Damascus with The Agency. He sat down and drew up a sort of family tree showing which group had split off from another and the reason and which groups had coalesced into coalitions like Black September. I was able to figure out terrorist groups like the RAF, Brigate Neri, Brigate Rosse etc myself.

Government Employee remember! If I had real skills I wouldn’t be replacing the 5 gallon water jug, and loading paper into the copy machine.

morsk

LE

As was suggested by another member, in a different thread. This was a link with some information about where the IRA received their donations from American private donors.

Anybody else care to help with more information that they might have regarding the financial donations received by the the IRA and what they used the money for? Also what actions were taken by the British government to help shut down the money pipeline they relied on to fund their "organization".

Thank you in advance.
Yet another reason to hate the americans. Although they make a fcukin ton of noise about terrorists. The irony of that from a country with no concept of irony is not lost on this callsign. Cnuts to a man.

morsk

LE
Yet another reason to hate the americans. Although they make a fcukin ton of noise about terrorists. The irony of that from a country with no concept of irony is not lost on this callsign. Cnuts to a man.
@Sam The Bam bless you you delicate flower. Go fcuk yourself.

Kisses you cnut

If you had a brain it would be a step up from being a moron, but you'd still be a dumb kunt making dumb statements about a people and a country you know next to fcuk all about.

Now away and polish the bolts in yer neck.

D

Deleted 24582

Do you need a cuddle?