IRA Funding from America.

• Thread starter Deleted 24582
  • Start date
D

Deleted 24582

As was suggested by another member, in a different thread. This was a link with some information about where the IRA received their donations from American private donors.

Anybody else care to help with more information that they might have regarding the financial donations received by the the IRA and what they used the money for? Also what actions were taken by the British government to help shut down the money pipeline they relied on to fund their "organization".

Thank you in advance.

I wonder what the reaction would be if someone set up Friends of Al-Qaeda and went canvassing for donations.

Last edited:
More to the point, I wonder what the reaction would be if someone set up Friends of Al-Qaeda and went canvassing for donations.
Or not to the point at all as I believe LJonesy was specifically after info relating to NORAID et al.

As it happens, for example, a lot of the fundraising efforts that went into supporting the Muj in the '80's probably morphed into AQ revenue streams but, like I said, not the point.

Ned_Seagoon

Old-Salt
Long time ago, while doing a six-monther in a hot and dusty place, I had a significant run-in with an American half-colonel who was very proud of the fact that he sent a regular donation to the IRA. 3 generations since his ancestors left the “old country”. Irish + Army made it a worthwhile nod to his forefathers. He honestly had no clue what the bandits were upto. He went through denial and resentment as I did my best to educate him. I think that there was acceptance in the end.

Or not to the point at all as I believe LJonesy was specifically after info relating to NORAID et al.

As it happens, for example, a lot of the fundraising efforts that went into supporting the Muj in the '80's probably morphed into AQ revenue streams but, like I said, not the point.
You are correct on both points.

D

Deleted 24582

Long time ago, while doing a six-monther in a hot and dusty place, I had a significant run-in with an American half-colonel who was very proud of the fact that he sent a regular donation to the IRA. 3 generations since his ancestors left the “old country”. Irish + Army made it a worthwhile nod to his forefathers. He honestly had no clue what the bandits were upto. He went through denial and resentment as I did my best to educate him. I think that there was acceptance in the end.
Well it amazes me at times, at how the "Irish" American's think they really have much in common with the old country still..... After a few generations in America, most folks don't have much in common besides a few traditions with the old world. Just because I enjoy brats and "beer"...does not make me German. Or the fact that my surname is Jones does not make me Welsh or English.

It would depend on where this organization was operating.
I am trying to inverse stuff here. Imagine if there was a terror group operating in the U.S. with funds donated by people from the UK over numerous years, leading to local conflicts and deaths, Would you be happy?

D

Deleted 24582

I am trying to inverse stuff here. Imagine if there was a terror group operating in the U.S. with funds donated by people from the UK over numerous years, leading to local conflicts and deaths, Would you be happy?
Never ask a Redneck for solutions that involve finesse.

Well it amazes me at times, at how the "Irish" American's think they really have much in common with the old country still..... After a few generations in America, most folks don't have much in common besides a few traditions with the old world. Just because I enjoy brats and "beer"...does not make me German. Or the fact that my surname is Jones does not make me Welsh or English.
Well the redneck effect takes over after 2 generations and overcomes any competing traits of heritage etc.

The little tinkers were quite creative with regard to fund raising: much of the cash from the US would have come as the result of 'Prisoner of War Relief Fund' buckets, conspicuously placed in 'Flanagan's Bar and Grill: Happy Hour Every Friday 5 til 7'.

Closer to home, they did a nice line in 'donations' from victims of punishment shootings who had received payments from the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority, money to injured victims of criminal acts.

Word would be sent out that a local thief was to present himself at a designated place on a certain date and at a certain time.

Justice would be dispensed courtesy of Messrs Smith and Wesson (occasionally Mr Colt would take up the slack). Dependent on the severity of the sentence (knees, ankles, elbows or all 3 if he'd been really naughty), compensation would be awarded.

Nothing less than a 50/50 split would be required, if only to ensure that the 'victim' wasn't arraigned for a second time.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I would imagine there was a lot of innocent whistling, staring at shuffling feet and nonchalant sauntering away taking place in the USA when terrorism was invented on 11/09/01.

Here is the view of an Irish journalist in the US that apparently seeks to minimize such support to the IRA. Caution: it appears on one of our "PBS" websites, whose neutrality has been questioned.

@jumpinjarhead Is there any "neutrality" left in media outlets? People who work there are human and have an agenda...depending on how far left of right they lean.

National Review, which you posted is a super conservatism org.

As was suggested by another member, in a different thread. This was a link with some information about where the IRA received their donations from American private donors.

Anybody else care to help with more information that they might have regarding the financial donations received by the the IRA and what they used the money for? Also what actions were taken by the British government to help shut down the money pipeline they relied on to fund their "organization".

Thank you in advance.
There were plenty of undocumented donations from collections in London during the 70's 80's. Most Irish pubs had a donation tin rattling arsewipe, towards closing time. How much of it actually got to the coward, child killing 'terrorists' is open to debate.

I would imagine there was a lot of innocent whistling, staring at shuffling feet and nonchalant sauntering away taking place in the USA when terrorism was invented on 11/09/01.
My dear fellow, as I suspect you know, we had many instances of terrorist violence before that day.

ETA-here is but one listing in the Grauniad of all places.

Last edited:
D

Deleted 24582

You must missed a few key events prior to that day....

USS Cole
Khobar Towers
Pan AM flight 103
Beirut