IRA fought apartheid

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by OIorDIE, Aug 30, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - IRA 'aided' anti-apartheid bombing - Kader Asmal memoirs

The IRA helped carry out a major bomb attack against the South African apartheid government, according to a former ANC cabinet minister.

In posthumous memoirs, Kader Asmal, also claimed Gerry Adams was approached to provide IRA men to train ANC members in Ireland.

Professor Asmal, who was a founder of the Irish Anti-Apartheid Movement, died in June aged 76.

Sinn Fein has so far not responded to the claims.

A law professor at Trinity College Dublin for 27 years, Professor Asmal was a founder member of the Irish Anti-Apartheid Movement.

He returned to South Africa in 1990, and became Minister of Education after elections in 1999.

Delicate task

In the book, Politics in my Blood, he recounts how he was approached in the late 1970s to help arrange training in Ireland for the military wing of the ANC known as MK.

"I was very keen, but it was a delicate task because it would of necessity involve the IRA," he said.

"None of us wished to place the ANC office in London in jeopardy or fuel the allegations of connivance between the ANC and IRA.

"I went to see the general secretary of the Communist Party of Ireland, Michael O'Riordan, who was a man of great integrity and whom I trusted to keep a secret.

"He in turn contacted Gerry Adams of Sinn Fein and it was arranged that two military experts would come to Dublin to meet two MK personnel and take them to a safe place for two weeks of intensive training."

Professor Asmal also claimed that the IRA had a significant role in an attack on a major oil refinery in South Africa in June 1980.

So the terrorists fought Apartheid and Britain did not.....
  2. I think this rates as Bone Thread of the Day from the duty dickhead.
    • Like Like x 4
  3. So one lot of terrorist scum supported another lot of terrorist scum. Well bugger me backwards, I'm surprised enough to toss my cookies.

PS: Welcome back, Phil.
  4. Oh wow, next thing you know we will hear of the ethnic cleansing of white farmers in Zimbabwe, as if its cos they are white, rather than because they have massive ammounts of land gained from a colonial occupation and used the native population as serfs to work their own land for a few rich colonial cunts!
  5. Yeh? Well I fought the law but the law won.
  6. Well I guess that makes every thing else the IRA did okay then.....

Murdering cunts.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. So britain fought the nazis, I guess that makes dresden, the occupation of Ireland and the genocide in India ok then... murdering cunts

C what i did there!
  8. This guy xxxxxx
  9. Care to quote the means by which 'nutting squads' tortured and murdered people? Electric drills, hand drills, baseball bats etc.

PIRA has more in common with the Gestapo than any legitimate army.
  10. So one bunch of Marxist cunts got another bunch of Marxist cunts to teach them how to blow women and children to pieces in shopping centres. Our heroes.

Murdering cunts.
  11. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

The terrorists blew up an oil refinery. Successive British governments, political parties and Trades Unions exerted economic and political pressure which helped end Apartheid.
  12. Pretty sure the Brits used quite horrendous torture against Irish rebels in the 20s, involving pulling nails out, rape of women and the general murder and torture of anyone they suspected even sympathised with the popular army rising up against the British colonial powers.

Also does the forced export of grain at the cost of 30 million starved in 30 years of rule in India count as torture? How bout the mass genocide of Africans who rebelled against British rule, or the thousands of soviets who died when Britain funded the white army to fight a civil war against the soviets, how bout funding and training the Mujahideen to fight the PDPA and SU then sitting back as the taliban and AQ rose out of the organisation and killed 3 thousand people on 9/11
  13. Okay, you're a troll. Well done.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. You say that like it's a bad thing.
  15. Nice history lesson, but you are posting in Current Affairs, how is your thread current?