• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

IRA decommissioning

From BBC

The process of IRA decommissioning is in the spotlight
A report confirming that IRA decommissioning has been completed is to be given to the British and Irish governments on Monday.
General John de Chastelain, head of the body overseeing the disarmament, is then expected to give a news conference with the two independent witnesses.

The churchmen who witnessed the process were Catholic priest Father Alex Reid and ex-Methodist president Harold Good.

The IRA announced an end to its armed campaign in July.

The republican organisation said it would follow a democratic path ending more than 30 years of violence.

The people of Northern Ireland will want to see it actually implemented
Peter Hain
Northern Ireland Secretary

Arms story about to unfold

Statements are also expected on Monday from the IRA, both governments and Sinn Fein President Gerry Adams.

Earlier on Sunday, Northern Ireland Secretary Peter Hain said any move on IRA decommissioning must be credible enough to convince unionists.

"The people of Northern Ireland will want to see it actually implemented," he said.

He said once unionists knew decommissioning was credible and had been put in place, moves could be made towards restoring devolved government in Northern Ireland.

General de Chastelain, Andrew Sens and Tauno Nieminen - the commissioners of the Independent International Commission on Decommissioning - have been in Ireland overseeing the latest round of decommissioning since the beginning of September.

BBC Northern Ireland security editor Brian Rowan said a meeting between the general and the IRA in July had started this latest process of decommissioning.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gents my memory fails me on this recent event, Did 'We' ever decide just what was ment by "IRA decommissioning"
john

Announced concurrently, on the first day of the Labour Party Conference

With a Dublin rally on Saturday, and a stellar announcement on the eve of a Labour Party conference one wonders at the motivation of the apparatchiks on Parnell Square, or their masters in Conolly House?

Could it be:

a. To divert attention away from the first day of the Labour Party Conference?

b. To add some credible sign of "Peace in our time" on the first day of conference??

c. To make the publication deadline for this weeks portadownnews, which comes ot on Tuesdays??

Surely they could never be found guilty of media manipulation :oops:

Did anyone here actually witness the Sinn Féin march through Dublin on Saturday? I did, and it chilled my blood. It was a lot more than merely a political march. The people and government of the Republic will come to regret the day they allowed such things to occur on their streets.

Somebody want to explain exactly what 'beyond use' is supposed to mean? I just get visions of a hole in the ground with a big door at the front with a sign saying...do not use!

army_of_1 said:
Am I the only person who thinks the putting of weapons 'beyond use' behind closed doors with no photographic eveidence is a bag of *?
No,am in full agreement with you Army.Said it before,what of the stuff in deep hides in republican areas? Any members of REST out there who have gone after them?

One has been canadian general (wondered if he ever asked the boyos feet dry mail getting through :) ) a taig and a proddy preist have seen the weapons put beyond use so we can all relax till the nasty loyalists kill everyone ! anyone else feeling a tad cynicial.

Well yeah I believe the vast majority of the IRA's arms have been decommissioned. The IICD got estimates from security forces on the size of the IRA arsenal and the General says he destroyed them. That's good enough for me... Sure, there are still probably a few weapons lurking but not huge quantities...

Besides, decommisioning every last bullet and ounce shouldn't be critical since they could easily be replaced if NI did kick off again (which I don't think it will).

Tricam.

I was just starting to submit a message looking forward to hearing Gerry Adams execrable attempts at Gaelic (traditional on such occasions), when hey presto - up he pops on radion 5.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
tricam said:
Besides, decommisioning every last bullet and ounce shouldn't be critical since they could easily be replaced if NI did kick off again (which I don't think it will).
It won't come to that - but how many weapons do you need to indimidate people, to rob banks, and maintain your climate of fear? Not many. The Provos have already bought much political capital, flooding their Sinn Fein doppelgangers with funding, and have plenty more money in the bank. Or banks - they don't really care which one they rob.

OldSnowy said:
tricam said:
It won't come to that - but how many weapons do you need to indimidate people, to rob banks, and maintain your climate of fear? Not many. The Provos have already bought much political capital, flooding their Sinn Fein doppelgangers with funding, and have plenty more money in the bank. Or banks - they don't really care which one they rob.
You've just said most of what I had in mind. Can PSF be considered a legitimate party to a democratic process while they have even one rusty revolver under their command, or while their funds are gathered in the way thay have been for the last four decades, or while they continue to lie in their teeth about their personal credentials? Ministers around the civilised world have lost their careers for minor indiscretions involving their secretaries, for bribes, for financial jiggery-pokery. These creatures are rewarded for their active hand in some of the most obscene murders in Western Europe of the last half-century.

No, sorry. It doesn't work for me; just as I have absolutely no faith in the trumpeted declaration that all of their instruments of murder are "beyond use". Utter bx.

The pigs are on the runway with engines running at full throtle, and waiting for permission to take off from the control tower.

Bears no longer defecate in woods.

The IRA has decommisioned its arms... Will this include iron bars and baseball bats as well then?

Where is the evidence that it isn't a collection of rusting armalites, and semtex beyond its sell by date?

Whats the 'PSF'?

The weapons are gone. The DUP's idea that since the IRA chose the witnesses, the witnesses cant be independant is simply scraping the bottom of the barrel.

And now, whats left? Several armed criminal gangs running riot in Belfast and the Border, some from the 'nationalist' some from the 'loyalist' community. Old Snowy got it right: All a criminal needs is one handgun, and he can get those wholesale in Nottingham.

The criminal issue has nothing to do with peace process, and trying to link them is simply an attempt to slow reforms down. It is a policing issue, and the sooner thats recognised the better.

And since its a policing issue, maybe its time that Sinn Fein come out and support the PSNI? And invite PSNI members into their houses? I'd pay to see that.

Even if the IRA has decommissioned the vast majority of its weapons (something that will never be true) the other supposed splinter groups will be continuing to murder steal and openly participate in other such criminal activities.

The report isn’t even worth the paper it is written on!!

Latest Threads