IRA decommissioning

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jonwilly, Sep 26, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From BBC

The process of IRA decommissioning is in the spotlight
    A report confirming that IRA decommissioning has been completed is to be given to the British and Irish governments on Monday.
    General John de Chastelain, head of the body overseeing the disarmament, is then expected to give a news conference with the two independent witnesses.

The churchmen who witnessed the process were Catholic priest Father Alex Reid and ex-Methodist president Harold Good.

The IRA announced an end to its armed campaign in July.

The republican organisation said it would follow a democratic path ending more than 30 years of violence.

The people of Northern Ireland will want to see it actually implemented
    Peter Hain
    Northern Ireland Secretary

Arms story about to unfold

Statements are also expected on Monday from the IRA, both governments and Sinn Fein President Gerry Adams.

Earlier on Sunday, Northern Ireland Secretary Peter Hain said any move on IRA decommissioning must be credible enough to convince unionists.

"The people of Northern Ireland will want to see it actually implemented," he said.

He said once unionists knew decommissioning was credible and had been put in place, moves could be made towards restoring devolved government in Northern Ireland.

General de Chastelain, Andrew Sens and Tauno Nieminen - the commissioners of the Independent International Commission on Decommissioning - have been in Ireland overseeing the latest round of decommissioning since the beginning of September.

BBC Northern Ireland security editor Brian Rowan said a meeting between the general and the IRA in July had started this latest process of decommissioning.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gents my memory fails me on this recent event, Did 'We' ever decide just what was ment by "IRA decommissioning"
    john

2. Announced concurrently, on the first day of the Labour Party Conference

With a Dublin rally on Saturday, and a stellar announcement on the eve of a Labour Party conference one wonders at the motivation of the apparatchiks on Parnell Square, or their masters in Conolly House?

Could it be:

a. To divert attention away from the first day of the Labour Party Conference?

b. To add some credible sign of "Peace in our time" on the first day of conference??

c. To make the publication deadline for this weeks portadownnews, which comes ot on Tuesdays??

Surely they could never be found guilty of media manipulation :oops:

3. Did anyone here actually witness the Sinn Féin march through Dublin on Saturday? I did, and it chilled my blood. It was a lot more than merely a political march. The people and government of the Republic will come to regret the day they allowed such things to occur on their streets.

4. Am I the only person who thinks the putting of weapons 'beyond use' behind closed doors with no photographic eveidence is a bag of ****?

5. Somebody want to explain exactly what 'beyond use' is supposed to mean? I just get visions of a hole in the ground with a big door at the front with a sign saying...do not use!

6. No,am in full agreement with you Army.Said it before,what of the stuff in deep hides in republican areas? Any members of REST out there who have gone after them?

7. Maybe the Prods will now put some of their weaponry ''Beyond Use???''

8. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

The IRA have put all their weapons "beyond use".

It must be true, it's on the BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4283444.stm

'Use' is a small village in co. Leitrim. To get to the weapons in case of need, just turn left past the post office and follow the track until you get beyond use.

9. Beyond use to my mind, is weapons tied together unprotected, and dropped off the side into the Irish Sea.

10. Beyond Youse?

11. If anyone believes the IRA has fully "disarmed," I have some beach front property in Arizona to sell them...A few bridges too.

12. IRA decommissioning?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

13. One has been canadian general (wondered if he ever asked the boyos feet dry mail getting through :) ) a taig and a proddy preist have seen the weapons put beyond use so we can all relax till the nasty loyalists kill everyone ! anyone else feeling a tad cynicial.

14. Well yeah I believe the vast majority of the IRA's arms have been decommissioned. The IICD got estimates from security forces on the size of the IRA arsenal and the General says he destroyed them. That's good enough for me... Sure, there are still probably a few weapons lurking but not huge quantities...

Besides, decommisioning every last bullet and ounce shouldn't be critical since they could easily be replaced if NI did kick off again (which I don't think it will).

Tricam.

15. I was just starting to submit a message looking forward to hearing Gerry Adams execrable attempts at Gaelic (traditional on such occasions), when hey presto - up he pops on radion 5.