IRA Bomb Survivor Honoured

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by twothreeuptwothreedown, Feb 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Couldn't happen to a nicer bloke.

2. Nice to see good news. Well done.

3. Have read his book. Inspirational.

4. Paul is an absolutely brilliant bloke, I first met him a couple of years back when we paraded past the cenotaph as part of the BLESMA contingent on remembrance Sunday. We may all know the story of Warren Point and for me being an ATO it's something I've looked at many times, but to hear a first hand account is quite chilling.

Paul has also written a book - A Fighting Spirit. Which is well worth a read.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Inspirational is a over used word but Paul Burns deserves it applied to him.

Sir we salute you.

6. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

**** off he'll get a big head.

On the other hand he's got a fantastic dog, she's a real beaut, I took her for a walk and she pulls like a ****ing steam engine which isn't bad for a three legged dog!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ah but if he does not have a big head his halo will slip won't it?

With regard to the triped canine, full steam ahead let the engine bark.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Stuck for words & full of admiration:)

9. Much respect, for once, I'm lost for words.

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Whilst I am usually the first to slag off any gutter press supported back slapping exercise as just selling more newspapers I am actually very pleased to read that he has been honoured, I cant help feeling that I would rather theofficial system had done this but as that system is so badly cheapened by "pay us to get your OBE" adverts on places such as this forum I expect its about as good as one could hope for!

Not forgetting that the man is an inspiration.

11. I'm honoured to have Paul as a close personal friend. I first met Paul many years ago, shortly after Warrenpoint, when he was a parachute rigger at Netheravon and I was on a basic parachuting course. Sadly I had been in a RE search team working out of Bessbrook when that terrible event happened at Warrenpoint and spent 3 of the worst days of my life clearing the scene. I told Paul about my story and that we had actually cleared the route two weeks before. His reply was simply "Did a shit job of that then". Many years later, like Dingerr, I met Paul during Remembrance weekend having just joined BLESMA. Over a beer he told me I must still be "shit at search"!

Since, I have been on a few rehabilitation events with Paul including diving in the Red Sea. Paul is a massive inspiration to younger or newer BLESMA members, an amazing character who doesn't understand the meaning of an easy life and probably more deserving of this award than anyone on the planet. It's about time his achievements, inspiration and sheer bravery were rewarded with a visit to the Palace.

• Like Like x 11
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Not only an inspiration but a master at pointing out the obvious!

• Like Like x 1
  13. I'll second those sentiments. It just proves that you can't keep a good man down.

:)

Rodney2q