IRA Apology over death

IRA apologises over child killing

An IRA wall mural
The IRA is reported to have apologised for killing a 14-year-old schoolgirl in Londonderry more than 30 years ago.
The IRA blamed the Army for shooting Kathleen Feeney near her Brandywell home in 1973, and claimed later it killed a soldier in retaliation.

The Army had said a patrol came under fire in Quarry Street, but insisted none of the soldiers opened fire.

In a statement in the Derry Journal newspaper, the IRA said that one of its members shot the teenager.

The IRA said it apologised unreservedly for what happened and admitted that its failure to accept responsibility for the killing added to the family's hurt and pain.

The statement was issued in response to a request from the Feeney family for the IRA to publicly acknowledge that its members killed the schoolgirl.
This sort of thing obviously goes down well with the lefties at the Beeb and Guraiad, but what do we think?

Better late than never or cynical manipulation of the media?

Cynical to it's very core Plastic Yank and yes AB, they will get there way.

I bet they didn't apologise for the poor Tom that they claimed to have assasinated in retaliation. Ooops did I say assasinated? I meant "legimately killed as an act of the armed struggle to free Ireland from its Saxon oppressors".

Oh and I'm really sorry that I let the IRA mortar me - I must have been guilty of contributory negligence or provocation or some such...

An apology for killing the girl is good enough then? No one to be brought to justice? The IRA obviously knows which one of them it was.

What about the soldier killed ?

and claimed later it killed a soldier in retaliation.
No apology for that?

**** 'em, every last one of them. They'll all burn in hell for what they did, that's if no-one catches up with the cowardly pieces of shit.

They gonna hand over the perps? :roll:

Once again another cynical move by the IRA. Why did they not tell the truth 30 years ago, because it suited them and their cause to blame the murder on the Army.

I assume as the IRA scum have apologised, Queen Blair is going to give them something in return :roll:

They will no more apologise for this than they have for the abduction, torture, and murder of Gene McConville - a Protestant convert to Catholicism, and mother of ten - whose 'crime' was to try and help a dying British soldier she found outside her door.

A few months ago on Irish television Mitchell McLaughlin from Sinn Féin/IRA refused to say that her death was a crime when pressed to do so by the Irish Minister for Justice.

Honestly, if apologies were issued, would any of us here actually accept them? Apologise for murder? - not good enough.

We(bods that have been in the province) all know what the Provos are about. Corupt murdering drug dealing protection racetering gangsters,not freedom fighters. That goes for McGuinnes,Adams, Maskey and the rest at Sinn Feinn too.

Shame HM Govt doesnt view them the same way as we do.

I feel deperately sorry for the family of this girl,her parents must now be in there 60s or older,an apology is cold comfort for them.

Hand over the gunman you cowardly murdering sh*tes,let justice be served. :twisted:

A fourteen year old child. I wonder how many brave volunteers it took to take her down.

These c*nts really are moral imbeciles.

Crazy_Ranger said:
Adams was praising the RA for owning up- seems the fact that they admitted it 30 years later makes everything all right.
In fact, this has been and will be used by Adams to further the PIRA/PSF campaign to be seen as having a morally justifiable agenda. Use of the words 'closure' 'sympathy' 'hurt' etc will pour from his lips while he adopts a suitably solemn and reverential posture for the benefit of his converted.

Interesting that it took an appeal from the family so many years later to get this done; the immediate PSF/PIRA action when the girl was shot was to use her death for their own ends by blaming the Army, in the full knowledge that it was their own assassin who had murdered her. You won't hear much comment from Adams on the morality of that, I think.

Your collective cynical (and entirely understandable reaction) to this piece of spin is to be expected. This response from the IRA is interesting when set against another change that is happening in the Republican movement (which may provoke an equally understandable reaction....)

I am currently involved in discussions with various organisations in NI about several different kinds of qualifications and there is a real desire for Door Supervisors qualifications, although there is no statutory requirement for them (yet). This desire is coming from organisations that have overtly paramilitary connections, and their rationale is that they want their local comminity to 'feel safe'. I just couldn't get my head round this as the 'door supervisors' are often the ones involved in the punishment beatings - until someone pointed out to me that their own communities have started to turn on these hoods and tell them that they just didn't want their kind of 'justice' anymore - that they wanted some kind of normal existence. In response, some of these hoods have started to try and legitimise themselves (as a very respectable lecturer put it to me a couple of weeks ago - "like the Godfather - and look what happened to him!")

But the hoods are struggling very hard with the concept of co-operating with the forces of law and order and still haven't reached that Rubicon - and perhaps this generation won't ever get there.

But there is some very intense deep rooted changes going on in the Peoples Republic of West Belfast and other places - let's watch and wait - I believe in not so many years time Northern Ireland will be a more benign environment - commercially if not entirely socially.