ira and weapons

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Grumblegrunt, Oct 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

2. Nothing really too shocking there at all. However, I take all interviews with 'Paddy' telling what "I did in the war" with a pinch of salt. It is not for nothing that the Irish are known as a nation of story tellers.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I agree. The Official IRA was an avowedly marxist group. Their strategy was to avoid sectarian conflict.

If the Ballymurphy massacre gets a retrospective article 2 inquest perhaps a glimmer of insight into Whitehall's strategy will emerge. Perhaps if conflict was inevitable better it be sectarian rather than nationwide class war. Hence break the pillars of the OIRA strategy.

4. Charlie Haughey was a big mover behind the scenes for the IRA.

Still, could have been worser, Jack Lynch was all for the Free State Army 'liberating' the North until a very worried Army brass pointed out to him that the war would be short… and very exciting, for the Free State Army.

5. Reminded me of a cartoon I saw regarding another war:

Small boy: Vat did you do in ze var daddy?
    His father: I lost ze bugger.

6. Old news but still interesting to recap. Haughey, Lynch and Blaney were well known for their views. What's less frequently stated is that the Irish Government has always been sh*t scared of a resurgent IRA. Behind the rhetoric, and minority dissidents, the Dublin Government has little time for PIRA/OIRA/INLA et al, and frequently worked hard to combat their activities. Remember too that the assaults on the nationalist community in NI in 69 can be compared with the start of what we now call ethnic cleansing: no wonder Dublin got twitchy!

• Like Like x 1
  7. I understand that some are famous for being Tellers of Unusual Tales.

Or 'TOUTS' for short.

8. Well done, full marks for that one :)

9. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

It would resulted in a united Ireland mind. Just not quite the united Ireland they were hoping for.

10. 'Where would the IRA get weapons? By looking South'

Only in 1969. The Irish government had good reason to supply weapons, the same reason that saw the British Army deployed shortly afterwards. They only supplied handguns and few of those turned up in the north ISTR.

The later sources were the USA and Ghaddafi's Libya, which dwarfed the Southern Irish contribution. Someone has a big drum they want to keep banging, I think.

Ancient history.

11. Umm, is your surname Murphy?

12. Sure ye have tanks so you do!

We do indeed Taoiseach

Well, go and sort the brits out

Well Taoiseach, it's like this, our tanks are ex British WWII relics and we have no shells for their guns so we don't

Ah bejasus! Another sneaky brit trick so it is!