IR35 - does it need binning?

• Thread starter Deleted 163822
  • Start date
Well it shows just how thick you are @bobthebuilder and your inept oneupmanship attempts against professionals such as a myself I doubt you have been made a FELLOW as I have by your Institute I say laughingly after your ham fisted attempts at understanding IR35 I think @gibsons dog makes very valid and sound points I fully understand his comments and fully agree with them if you cant understand it well that's the sad level of your intelligence then isn't it. Enjoy the Budget I doubt you will understand it however best left to us professionals I am sure you concour @gibsons dog
You concour (sic) with your sock? Well done you. Neither of you have made any “points”, nothing referenced to the law it and HMRC guidance notes.

And I haven’t claimed any qualifications let alone tried one upmanship; I simply pointed you in the direction of two relevant ones. You were the one who boasted (and lied) about having been to Harvard.

Congratulations; you’ve destroyed an interesting thread. It’s not like IR35 is very hard to understand.

Edited to add, I see you’ve deleted your sock account. You utter tool.

D

Deleted 166739

You concour (sic) with your sock? Well done you. Neither of you have made any “points”, nothing referenced to the law it and HMRC guidance notes.

And I haven’t claimed any qualifications let alone tried one upmanship; I simply pointed you in the direction of two relevant ones. You were the one who boasted (and lied) about having been to Harvard.

Congratulations; you’ve destroyed an interesting thread. It’s not like IR35 is very hard to understand.

Edited to add, I see you’ve deleted your sock account. You utter tool.
Cheers unfortunatly my tool was cut years ago when I was 7 but it's kind of you to enquire @bobthebuilder if you read my posts clearly you will see I boasted of graduating from Wolverhampton Polytechnic I merely attended Harvard as part of my studies at what is the finest university in The Black Country. I think @gibsons dog made his impressive points quite eloquently but in the end simply gave up unlike yourself sadly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers unfortunatly my tool was cut years ago when I was 7 but it's kind of you to enquire @bobthebuilder if you read my posts clearly you will see I boasted of graduating from Wolverhampton Polytechnic I merely attended Harvard as part of my studies at what is the finest university in The Black Country. I think @gibsons dog made his impressive points quite eloquently but in the end simply gave up unlike yourself sadly.
You probably should read your own posts. Your opening line on your qualifications was that you were proud of your MBA from Harvard. No mention of Wolverhampton Poly. You deliberately tried to mislead us into believing you are a Harvard graduate. It was only when I and other posters challenged you that you came clean.

If you deliberately mislead an employer or client like that you wouldn’t last long. It would be an absolute deal breaker on a job interview if I was hiring. I don’t think you have much integrity.

D

Deleted 166739

You probably should read your own posts. Your opening line on your qualifications was that you were proud of your MBA from Harvard. No mention of Wolverhampton Poly. You deliberately tried to mislead us into believing you are a Harvard graduate. It was only when I and other posters challenged you that you came clean.

If you deliberately mislead an employer or client like that you wouldn’t last long. It would be an absolute deal breaker on a job interview if I was hiring. I don’t think you have much integrity.
I am very proud of my MBA @bobthebuilder it was invigilated by Harvard, I attend both Harvard & Wolverhampton University so where is the problem my first Degree was awarded by Wolverhampton my MBA by Harvard there was nothing to come clean about other than clarify it as you were getting your knickers in such a twist mind you without your moaning and posting the link to the alumni of the Harvard business school I would never have knew I was listed in it so thanks for that as for integrity I am an accountant!

I am very proud of my MBA @bobthebuilder it was invigilated by Harvard, I attend both Harvard & Wolverhampton University so where is the problem my first Degree was awarded by Wolverhampton my MBA by Harvard there was nothing to come clean about other than clarify it as you were getting your knickers in such a twist mind you without your moaning and posting the link to the alumni of the business school I would never have knew I was listed so thanks for that as for integrity I am an accountant!
Yale College in Wrexham had iirc a historical connection with Yale as in Yale, top 10 University.... the students in Wrexham were 2 xE at A level types but for the unwary recruiter, "Yale" sounded good.

Plenty of anecdotes about Wrexham Yale alumni getting on well in America "Ya, like, ya know, it's like, the original Yale. The US one is, like, a franchise".

D

Deleted 166739

Yale College in Wrexham had iirc a historical connection with Yale as in Yale, top 10 University.... the students in Wrexham were 2 xE at A level types but for the unwary recruiter, "Yale" sounded good.

Plenty of anecdotes about Wrexham Yale alumni getting on well in America "Ya, like, ya know, it's like, the original Yale. The US one is, like, a franchise".

Yes its brilliant isn't it you couldn't make it up @Spec-op1989

Tyk

LE
IR35 is causing big issues here for BAES at the moment to be honest.
Unsurprising that.
I've had multiple agents contacting me as an ex BAES supplier looking to fill multiple roles all inside IR35 and all in out of the way locations. They've lost the contract resources who've walked away the expenses make it no longer viable.

Unsurprising that.
I've had multiple agents contacting me as an ex BAES supplier looking to fill multiple roles all inside IR35 and all in out of the way locations. They've lost the contract resources who've walked away the expenses make it no longer viable.
The site and programme I'm at, easily about 25% of key posts (certainly in Engineering anyway) are filled by contractors of various origins. Mostly FNC and RB. That's on both sides of the fence, Govt and IPs.

I understand the benefit of their experience but IR35 poses an issue and that's on top of the usual issues of career progression within the organisation being stalled by filling posts with Contractors as first choice rather than train promotees up. So, when a contractor has had enough and leaves due to it no longer being in their benefit to remain, the second choice (the promotee) has alread sodded off either to another dept or to industry and also been lost.

(Or they bung a load of newly finished Graduates into the posts, get sod all out of them except attitude, a chip on their shoulder the size of Wales and a depleted biccie tin) :p

Last edited:
Unsurprising that.
The market will work; it’s basic economics. The employer will have to offer a package that does attract people to work in remote locations and the prospective employee will have to accept the rate available if he or she wants to work. In the short term, both sides will try it on, but eventually the supply and demand curves will shift to a new price point.

End of the day, IR35 is just about marginal tax.

D

Deleted 166739

The market will work; it’s basic economics. The employer will have to offer a package that does attract people to work in remote locations and the prospective employee will have to accept the rate available if he or she wants to work. In the short term, both sides will try it on, but eventually the supply and demand curves will shift to a new price point.

End of the day, IR35 is just about marginal tax.
Utter rubbish IR35 is nothing what so ever to do with marginal tax @bobthebuilder it is a piece a legislation for employers and has nothing to with the CT600 where marginal tax relief you do post some utter nonsense demonstrating your complete lack of understanding of the subject

GDog

Old-Salt
Seeing the way the wind is blowing at work (long term drop in sales, pay freeze and a bloody minded determination to get people back to their wretched office no matter what) I'm going to start setting up the infrastructure needed for being a software contractor now so it's ready to go when I've had enough.

I've got a 3 month notice period and a winter of watching HMG's jaw-dropping incompetence ahead of me but assuming society hasn't collapsed as a result it's likely I'll be looking to move in Spring 2021.

If HMG stick to their plan (ha!) then the IR35 shift should be completed by April. Is this likely to be a particularly bad time to enter the market all other things considered? Should I rigidly state that I'm only willing to take outside IR35 contracts or are there still worthwhile opportunities going to be around that are inside it?

My main objectives for leaving the perm world are to earn more money and gain back more control of my life from soul-crushing micro-managers.

D

Deleted 166739

Seeing the way the wind is blowing at work (long term drop in sales, pay freeze and a bloody minded determination to get people back to their wretched office no matter what) I'm going to start setting up the infrastructure needed for being a software contractor now so it's ready to go when I've had enough.

I've got a 3 month notice period and a winter of watching HMG's jaw-dropping incompetence ahead of me but assuming society hasn't collapsed as a result it's likely I'll be looking to move in Spring 2021.

If HMG stick to their plan (ha!) then the IR35 shift should be completed by April. Is this likely to be a particularly bad time to enter the market all other things considered? Should I rigidly state that I'm only willing to take outside IR35 contracts or are there still worthwhile opportunities going to be around that are inside it?

My main objectives for leaving the perm world are to earn more money and gain back more control of my life from soul-crushing micro-managers.
IR35 rules will come in on 6th April 2021 & nearly everyone will be subject to Making Tax Digital from April 2023 when most SA100 Tax Returns will be abolished & replaced by quarterly returns.

Cyberhacker

Old-Salt

I'm not authorised to give advice, but I can offer my personal opinion.

Anyone taking a "within IR35 contract" is either a fool or desperate (or maybe both).

If you fall within the scope of IR35, then you really, really, really ought to be considered a worker for the purposes of all the employment protections/rights legislation... but you get screwed over both ways. You would be much better off being fully on the payroll for all purposes than.

If, of course, you truly consider yourself in business on your own account, then get chasing those outside-IR35 contracts... but ditch the employment agencies as a means of getting work.