IQ tests

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by JonnoJonno, Aug 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi
    Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent online resource for practice IQ tests? I would like to practice prior to IQ style tests for a job.

I have used Google but it is difficult to trawl through all the spaff and find a decent site. Also the style of tests are very different and I am looking for a test which is more relevant for military.

Cheers
    JJ

2. You want to practice for the BARBS test I take it? I don't think it's really the sort of test you can swat up on?

Reference finding IQ test resources online, I very much doubt you'll be able to get access to any of the real IQ testing materials online because they're copyrighted, and they also are quiet expensive to buy.

3. I dont think he means for BARB

4. Thanks for your replies guys. It isn't for the BARB test, but for a specific selection which will include IQ/psychometric tests. I've not done many, and whilst I am sure the tests will be considered impossible to prepare for, I will be doing myself a favour by sharpening the brain up a little!
    Cheers

5. I too need some form of an IQ test, i have been told for a particular job i am hoping to secure i must demonstrate an IQ of 110, surely there must exist some free way of testing yourself?

6. I had a go on IQtest.com ; It gives you a basic test which I think you can try a number of times. I came out at 124 but I don't think the test is all that accurate, and a more thorough test would give a better idea.

7. You could do a lot worse than buying (or borrowing) a Nintendo DS or similar and one of those brain training games. A lot of the tests on these are very similar to psychometric test content.

8. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

9. Are you sure it wasn't just "24", Jonno? :)

MsG

10. Buy this from Amazon and work through the book. Ignore the gumph about leaving time between taking tests.

You won't actually get smarter, but you will improve your ability to do IQ tests and you won't waste time trying to work out what the questions are looking for because you'll have a good idea.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0517052962/?tag=armrumser-21

Good luck!

11. Standby to bored sh1tless - I did my Masters Dissertation on the Selection and Assesment of Personnel involved in High Risk Ocupations using Psychometric Testing

First Point - although some tests do allow for IQ testing (16 PF Test for example) the best test for IQ is a proper IQ test.

Second Point - in theory you can't practice to take a test. In practice it probably gives you confidence.

As to the IQ question, The Terman Scale gives this

Over 140 - Genius or near genius

120 - 140 - Very superior intelligence

110 - 119 - Superior intelligence

90 - 109 - Normal or average intelligence

80 - 89 - Dullness

70 - 79 - Borderline deficiency

Under 70 - Definite feeble-mindedness

The above scores are a Normal Distribution and here it is. 110 places you in the top 16% IQ wise. The normal is 100 with 50% either side but it is Normal Distribution with 100 as the Normal.

Attached Files:

• iq.gif
      File size:
      35 KB
      Views:
  12. Yep, sorry my carer wasn't supporting me as I used my head wand and I slipped :D

Thanks Gents for your comments. I'll have a look at the mensa site for tips. RSM- thanks for your insight, much appreciated. The tests I have been warned I will sit were described as 'IQ-type tests', and as such I'm trying reasoning tests just to switch the brain on. I'm sure that the results of the tests I am trying are irrelevant but the practice should illustrate where some of my weaknesses are. For example I struggled with anagrams, but have a large vocabulary which was interesting.

One question made my nose bleed and I really need to get my head around the processes used to figure it out:
    "My watch was correct at noon, after which it started to lose 17 minutes per hour until six hours ago it stopped completely. It now shows the time as 2.52 pm. What time is it now?"

Not a fan of riddles (I'd have just cut Gollum's nuts off and thrown him in the river) :D :wink:

13. Roughly 04.02.07 I think

14. Show off :D