• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

IQ test. Has anyone taken one online or otherwise?

Since I was an infant at primary school I have always been assessed as off the scale at these tests.
My kids and my grandkids are the same.

Does anyone else think that perceived intelligence is hereditary?

Just to say that I don't think that the ability to get a high score in these test denotes any sign of intelligence, it just shows that you are good at passing tests.

As most people who have read my previous posts on here will know I am thick as shit.

Last edited:
The true way of finding out if it is really hereditary rather than the nurtured parenting environment you are raised in, is to test parents and children who have been separated since birth.

I've had several over the years albeit for job interviews when I was younger and on paper.

The most notable ones I had were for Zeneca and Michelin. Both were standard Mensa type tests which can be found online these days.

You can actually "improve" your IQ by doing IQ tests. that is to say you practice the tests and learn what type of questions come up.

TBH IQ tests are generally a load of cobblers. All of the ones I did were used in conjunction with various other interviews and tests e.g. psychometic testing and various other test papers.

The IQ tests are indicative only. IQ should not be confused with intelligence!
They are useful if you are looking to recruit say, an engineer, but useless if you are recruiting a van driver.

I completed what was billed as a "free" IQ test, which it was. The result was the bit they tried to get me to pay £14 for. It was quite clever (in a conning, rip-off bastard way) in that you felt that the result would probably be quite flattering- the test was piss easy.
I consider that anyone who has actually paid for some coniving fucker to pat them on the head whilst congratulating them on their near-genius level of brain power, is actually as thick as two short planks.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Nipper, then aged about 15, qualified for the National Megafinals of the Schools Chess Competition at Ally Pally. MENSA had a stand and invited me to do the test. Take this away and give yourself 20 minutes to complete.

I took it back ten minutes later. He marked it. Impressive. Do you want to pay £20 to be a member? No.

But I already knew me IQ was in the high 130s. This was the time when they regularly had Great British Quiz and Test the Nation. I'd get about 137 and he'd get about 133 even though he scored higher because IQ is weighted like that.

He's a Master of Maths, I was a Lance Corporal in a recce regiment.

I did one for a job a few years back
I failed it horribly as my mind is not wired for constructive logical thought
it was only a job with B and Q though
A mate of mine was frantically job searching and went from interview to interview.
He was given the exact same set of questions from the previous days interview from another companies very clever recruitment consultants. Same computer programme, and a printout of the awnsers and why he had failed.
With a smile on his face he landed the new job and spent the next few years doing CAD on oil rigs.
Had not a clue what he was doing though.

Its wierd mine have always remained about the same since school age.
I last took one online, just for shits and giggles and it was exactly the same as the one I took in my teens.
They must be onto something these academic types.
I guessed the last few questions as I knew I was running out of time, but I think that they may have built this parameter into the test.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I can lift heavy things! :p

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
you know I never ever understood the domino test , had to do three of em in the mob dont know weather i failed passed or drew .

I was a highly experienced and qualified purveyor of my profession when i went into a job agency in Sicilian Ave Holburn to register for and posts which might do the trick .

After handing over my cv,references , completing their registration form ( i was a fellow of my professional body ) off she went and the receptionist and came back with a bunch of coloured sticks , she threw them on the coffee table and said pick them up in coulour preference,
why said I ? now being well past kindergarten age .
Its a psychometric test to see if you are suitable to be a credit manager .
ok thats fine , how does this work then ? whats the mechanics of the thing ?
We are not allowed to tell you .
ok then i wont play ,good day .
Boy did i grin later on when they kept canvasing me to supply temp and perm staff in a large stimuli national .
In hindsight I wish i had thought to get my own coloured sticks .

I've had several over the years albeit for job interviews when I was younger and on paper.

The most notable ones I had were for Zeneca and Michelin. Both were standard Mensa type tests which can be found online these days.

You can actually "improve" your IQ by doing IQ tests. that is to say you practice the tests and learn what type of questions come up.

TBH IQ tests are generally a load of cobblers. All of the ones I did were used in conjunction with various other interviews and tests e.g. psychometic testing and various other test papers.

The IQ tests are indicative only. IQ should not be confused with intelligence!
They are useful if you are looking to recruit say, an engineer, but useless if you are recruiting a van driver.
Yeah. What you said.

All cobblers. Always has been since the days of Cyril Burt and his fiddling the data. Compounded by Eysenck with his culturally specific (Read British) Test Your Own IQ bollocky book.

Still is.

Like Programmer Aptitude Tests. They do not test a programmers aptitude for programming (although one of them was not too bad as it involved things like string slicing - forget which one). I employed a rather unworldly fey chap who had a doctorate in Greek classics. He had been turned down by three companies I knew very well. Their loss as he was the best developer I ever had. I also noticed that the language graduates who were part of our annual intake were far superior to the rest - even the mathematicians and computer science bods. The latter had no more knowledge or understanding of commercial IT than the theologists.

Psychometric tests are worthless. Don’t do one unless the test is administered and the results interpreted by a qualified clinical psychologist. How the fuck is Doris from HR (GCSEs knitting and nail varnishing) qualified to assess your psychological make-up.

It’s all laziness on employers part and a bullshit arse covering box ticking exercise by jobsworths. How can you use intangibles to measure the intangible.

I am at home to Mr Insomnia and needed a good rant. Thanks OP.

Last edited:

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I presume the reason for the tests is that some one has convinced large companies that it weeds out potential nutcases, persons of low intelligence, and would be murderers

I worked for a big national company, and they brought in an entire raft of tests for all employees

probably some graduate wanted to show off or something

made no odds to me, i just pissed around and put random answers to all the tests, I wanted to leave any way

one chap took it very seriously and i gather the results of his test caused much head scratching

He was made redundant some time later
But and its a big but, he had some serious problems in his head
he wanted to go to Afghanistan and kill ragheads, he got very excited talking about it almost a religious fervour, quite mad he was, but also very strong, not a good combination

I always got on ok with him and he was a generous chap in many ways and a good tradesman
but occasionally he got a bit excited started to splutter and a few things came out
he was a wrong un it seems
perhaps they used the results of the tests to confirm something they already knew
but some of his sexual peccadilloes marked him out as not safe in mixed company, and frankly the management should have picked up on that long before
but they were all too busy trying to stitch each other up and in fighting in different groups the wankers
so busy they failed to notice two employees stitching every one else up and lining their pockets big time

I took the Mensa test and went to the local meeting, weirdest bunch of weirdos this side of a Prisoner convention at Port Merion.

I sat the MENSA test back in the mid 80's out of curiosity and passed the initial test. I then got invited to sit the test again under controlled conditions which I did and got a letter back saying I was invited to join as I had an IQ over the 140 mark.

I joined for a couple of years, met some interesting people, but when I got married it was a case of paying for a years membership or buying nappies for the kids. At that point I left.

In all the years since then I haven't had the need to use my previous membership or make reference to my measured IQ, but the day may come when I can casually slip it into the conversation (if I can remember at that point)

How did you find that out,....Attend?
Not wilfully, was on hols in Port Madoc. Being a fan of the show I went ot Port Merion, by coincidence the convention was on. Dressed up and throwing big balloons at each other. Made fat military re enactors look positively normal.

I first had one done when I was 21 for a job. It was 145.

Over the years, I have had others. The only trend is downward. The last one I did was 112. About 15 years ago.

I am assuming that I will have the intellect of a Hamster before I shuffle off this mortal coil.

Thing is , as I get thicker, it doesn't seem to matter .