IQ is Mainly Inherited According to Recent Genome Studies

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by AndyPipkin, Aug 10, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Most, if not all, veterinarians whom I have known (my father amongst them),have expressed the belief that genomes are a very important influence in animals of all types and sizes.

Furthermore, breeders of livestock attach considerable importance to an animal's ancestry - e.g. Thoroughbred - Wikipedia , The Kennel Club - Wikipedia , and British Cattle Breeders Club

Humans are animals; so I see no reason to believe that we are not also subject to inherited genomes.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I don't think the UN mandate allowed for total and utter Serbian deaths.

And I do recall in his book making some comment about if he was going warfighting he wouldn't choose to wear a blue beret and paint his IFV white:)

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. We will have to agree to differ, I still think social background has a bigger impact on educational achievement in the UK than intelligence, at least in the UK, and so can't see how you can split out nature from nurture

4. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

By conducting twin studies. It's a pretty effective way to measure the impact of inherited intelligence vs environment. Robert Plomin (listed as an author on the paper at the start of this thread) is probably the key name in such studies globally.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. The great nature versus nurture debate continues - round 43.

To rely solely on genetic inheritance as a guide to anything would seem to be a bit lazy. Your parents will gift your body the framework, fulfilling your potential in any area is down education, effort and luck in no particular order.

Parental wealth can, not necessarily will, contribute lots to your development.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Parental contacts/old boys' club even handier.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Then it's a bloody poor proxy. Some of the sharpest individuals I met in the mob were less than gifted, academically, and that's before answering the question 'intelligent at what?'

Educational attainment is at the very least greatly aided by training for the types of assessment by which it's measured. Access to this sort of training can be 'inherited' along with access to resources rather than genes.

The methodology could basically be summarised as 'intelligence is the ability to answer the sort of exam questions wealthier kids do better at.' It may be a eugenicist's wet dream but it's not exactly rigorous.

• Like Like x 4
  8. As I've said, of course there are exceptions, and of course nurture plays some part in outcomes. But when you consider large samples the findings are made out - a considerable element of general intelligence is down to genetics. Of course, the extent to which latent genetic capability is realised may have a lot to do with environmental factors.

9. Caecilius

Which is why the relevant studies control for that factor.

• Like Like x 1
  10. On selection for intelligence, see this series of Steven Pinker videos on why Ashkenazi Jesw have high average IQs (and the side effects of same):

One might also posit that the slavery era had a selection effect on the black population of the Americas which in part at least explains their success in various sporting fields, insofar as the strongest and fittest slaves had the best chance of surviving to pass on their genes.

Edited to add: That said, I'm not aware of any studies on this.

11. Regardless of sample size, the survey conflates educational achievement with intelligence when there's no evidence they're more than loosely correlated.

Education is a function of national wealth (how many years of compulsory education can the nation support; how many schools can it maintain; how well-trained are the teachers; etc.) Intelligence is a function of individual ability. They're not the same.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Caecilius

I didn't say they have a large sample size. I said that they control for the other factors which have an input. There's a large body of well respected work on this - anything with Plomin is worth a read.

13. Yet this one strangely wound up concluding that the areas with lowest investment in education are the areas with lowest average IQs without looking at relevant cross-studies like IQ across an ethic group by national education system.

• Like Like x 1