ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

IQ is Mainly Inherited According to Recent Genome Studies

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by AndyPipkin, Aug 10, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm hoping that this forum is a place where a reasoned and sensible debate can occur on the implications of these findings, rather than a place where such debate is suppressed by either deletion or the howling down of anyone suggesting such things by accusations of racism, etc. Anyway, it seems recent Genome Wide Complex Trait Analysis studies are bearing out what various twin and adoption studies have been suggesting for years, i.e. that general intelligence ("IQ") is overwhelmingly (up to 80%) down to genetics rather than environment.

Genome-wide association meta-analysis of 78,308 individuals identifies new loci and genes influencing human intelligence | Nature Genetics

Some articles discussing the findings:

Scientists just discovered 50 genes that are linked with intelligence

The Heritability of IQ

There is no intelligence gene… singular | Prospect Magazine

Anyway it seems Charles Murray may well have been largely right. If you've got the time, this recent conversation between him and Sam Harris is well worth a listen:

Forbidden Knowledge

Clearly this has implications in the spheres of education, welfare policy and other areas. I would suggest as a start that grammar schools and technical schools might not be such a bad idea after all.

• Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 4
  2. It's obvious to anybody who mixes with other humans that intelligence is hereditary, but proving it won't change anything. It's unfair and people don't like that.

• Like Like x 6
  3. And a cursory glance at the Olympics shows that certain phenotypes have particular genetic advantages in some areas and other phenotypes in others.

• Like Like x 3
  4. So, if you is mince, take it up with your parents.

5. Well something has to make some people more intelligent than others. Its not a giant leap that the DNA you inherit from your parents which gives you every single attribute you have at birth also affects intelligence as well.

6. Can we sue because our parents made us thick as mince? Please tell me yes, I'll be.... hmm, one dead and one penniless, I'll be, I'll be

Let me look at the question again!

7. What about super geniuses?
    Just a fluke mutation or the whole being better than the parts?

8. Where do Officers fit in on this?

• Funny Funny x 12
  9. It will depend, of course, on how you measure intelligence. There's little agreement about the validity of most testing methods. If there's any culturally specific element in the test regime, then it's likely these will correlate with some genetic factors, whether there's a causative link or not. If we are talking about 50 possible genes, the number of possible combinations is mind boggling and the statistics to map those against any reliable measure of intelligence far beyond me.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Food chain. Bottom of.

Seriously, how many gifted BA officers do we have? Have you met one?

I met
    Peter de la Billière

Now, however old he was, he would have kicked the crap out of me... He was impressive. The others?

11. Racist.

iq_by_country.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. IIRC he's also an old boy of the same Swiss school, Le Rosey, as Kim Jon Wotsit, currently in the news a great deal.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Apart from self (in the past, naturally), but in the same vein, Mike Rose was up there with the best.

14. The study in the first link used educational attainment as a proxy for intelligence.

• Like Like x 1
  15. How long have you been a member?

• Funny Funny x 5