ipods... Youve Just Got to Love Them!

Why did he have an ipod on patrol? Perhaps if he hadn't had it he would have heard the insurgent coming and shot him before he was hit himself.

bibo_boy said:
Can an I-pod really stop a 7.62 round? I thought these go through engine blocks?

BB
http://www.tv-links.co.uk/link.do/1/61/134/1871/3220

They shoot a very large book, zippo lighter and a pack of cards, none of which stop a reasonable calibre round, they didn't do an Ipod but I for one don't believe for one second that it would stop a straight on hit from a 7.62.

The story said that the Ipod slowed the round down enough so that it didn't penetrate his body armour

Nige said:
Why did he have an ipod on patrol? Perhaps if he hadn't had it he would have heard the insurgent coming and shot him before he was hit himself.
Probably reckoned it might be theieved if he left it with whatever storage
he had at his bunk space or might have some down time where he could use it.

Nige said:
Probably reckoned it might be theieved if he left it with whatever storage
he had at his bunk space or might have some down time where he could use it.Or maybe he broke it and was looking too claim on kit insurance :twisted: .

Total nonsense! The SAPI plate in the US Interceptor body armour will stop an AK round at point blank range. The iPod would have made no difference to the outcome.

Nah, I'm sure that that the i-pod made no difference to the round, and the body-armour did all the stopping. But by telling this story the guy gets his name in the papers and hopefully a new i-pod from Apple.

Cynical, moi?

PB

Or his taste in music distracted the insurgent

BlotBangRub said:
Can an I-pod really stop a 7.62 round? I thought these go through engine blocks
Old wives tale.
Confirmed. I saw many 7.62s that had gone into vehicles and only a few which had hit the engine. None of these penetrated but generally did sufficient damage to other bits in that area as to disable the car. That may be where the myth started. We did have someone suggest that a handheld magnum might work but I never heard of it being put to the test. No need really - 7.62 was a nice little earner.

OldRedCap said:
BlotBangRub said:
Can an I-pod really stop a 7.62 round? I thought these go through engine blocks
Old wives tale.
Confirmed. I saw many 7.62s that had gone into vehicles and only a few which had hit the engine. None of these penetrated but generally did sufficient damage to other bits in that area as to disable the car. That may be where the myth started. We did have someone suggest that a handheld magnum might work but I never heard of it being put to the test. No need really - 7.62 was a nice little earner.
Ever seen what the black painted ones could do?

Not seen it my self but those are the ones usually rumoured to be able to stop a car if it hit the engine block.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
angelface The NAAFI Bar 7
Muckster The NAAFI Bar 12
HVM_Boy The Intelligence Cell 18