iPODs - Help?

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by diplomat, Mar 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. diplomat

diplomat War Hero Book Reviewer

Preparing for some flak!!!

Can anyone help this technologically challenged idiot (me)?

How do you transfer DVDs (Films) onto an iPOD, or is it not possible?

2. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

You need to use the Itunes software to convert the file into an Ipod readable format.

If you go to the Help function in the lastest version of Itunes it should be explained more fully on there.

I think that there is also a description of what to do in the FAQs on the website (link from Itunes help menu again.

dirty dirty man!!! :)

3. According to the Apple website it is not possible, (they don't support it), http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302758#5A, but in practise the iPod will support MPEG-4 encoding from almost any source.

If you can rip your DVD to MPEG-4 and then import it into iTunes then you are away.

My current workaround is DVD player to Formac Studio box, import into iMovie then export from iMovie - (I've all Mac kit, so here is how I do it regularly). I'd guess any PC ripper will be able to produce MPEG-4 from a non-copywrite protected DVD.

My usual source of video for my iPod is a USB based Freeview television tuner plugged into the Mac.

4. And there are ways around copy protection also :)

5. wow you guys are complicated.

go here:

http://www.slysoft.com/en/clonedvd-mobile.html

download "clonedvd mobile", and then download "anydvd" at http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

anydvd cracks the copy protection.

clonedvd mobile supports multiple formats including ipod video.

i use it on my creative vision M. takes about 20-30 mins depending on length of film (on default quality setting). insert DVD, set quality (to determine file size). click and come back in 20 mins.

will take longer if you've got an older PC.

the above download is on 21 days free trial - but i've managed to back up over 200 DVDs onto my player in 14 days.

brilliant software. jeremy - don't know if there is a Mac version too. if so, feel free to buy me a pint :)

6. diplomat

diplomat War Hero Book Reviewer

Many thanks, I will get on to this when in the office.

7. Way to go Creative vision m,IMHO a lot better than IPOD

8. Sadly, there isn't a Mac version. Having re-read what I wrote, it isn't as complicated as all that and it works on anything as I am going to analogue back into DV. The primary disadvantage is that it only works in real time, whereas yours is a re-encoding approach, only dependent on the power of the processing PC.

If anyone sees a decent Mac ripper, please let me know. Apple kit takes regions very seriously, so I'd like to de-region and rip quite a few DVDs.

(CR, come to Leicestershire and PM me for a pint- having a recommendation for PC based ripping software gives me guru kudos!)

9. I have finally found a DVD ripper for the Mac that is worth having, (it's free too, so better and better). Try Handbrake, which exists as OSX, Linux and Ms versions. It's open source and rather good. Handbrake homepage