Ipod Touch

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by af1033, Mar 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone got an Ipod Touch. I'm thinking of buying one and would like some thoughts on what it's like.
  2. i don't know what they are like, but these people opened one up to see what was inside.

it's not really a helpful answer, but....
  3. I havent got one - but have you been to an Apple shop? You can generally play about with all the products there.

From what I saw in there - they were just like the iPhone; but without the phone! Nice quality screen, good streaming from youtube, decent audio quality etc.
  4. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Great bit of kit, my other half has one and I've got the iPhone. It is a great MP3 player, can play video which you can convert from DVD etc to work on it. You need to add a small upgrade which costs a few pounds that will give you email, if you want it. It connects to your PC via cable but to the internet/email via wifi. You can store your photos on there as well. Its got a decent web browser and youtube too. You can do whats called jailbreaking it, this allows you to install third party applications on it, of which there are many. PM me for the details of how to do it if you get one, its simple. The interface is very slick and nice to use. As has been said visit an apple shop and have a play yourself, you won't be dissapointed.

Or buy an iPhone, which you can unlock in a few minutes with free software. This gives you all the iPod bits plus a decent phone too.
  5. Thanks for that info. hadn't thought of getting the phone, I've so far not joined the "mobile" phone revoloution.

My son has just bought me an 80 gig classic ipos so I'll have to wait awhile before Mrs af1033 will now let me have an ipod touch
  6. Got the ipod touch..you can jail break it to get most of the iphones applications.
    The problem with the iphone is having to pay the £30 a month contract for 2 years...get the ipod touch and a cheaper mobile mate.

I've put all the BOB series on mine, video's of the grandson, 30 music albums and 15 music videos and 76 photo's with plenty of room for more.

Hope this helps
  7. I have one - they are more robust than they look

great sound- easy to use

and good picture quality

a mate of mine is going to jail break it for me

to improve it even more
  8. Silicon case + screen protector £5 off e-bay.
  9. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Not needed. You can unlock it for use on any network. Get someone to buy one from an apple shop in the states then run the freely available software, Bobs your uncle as they say.

Edited to add the link to the software clicky.
  10. Mega bit of kit.Won one in the Mess at Christmas.Still not worked out half the stuff on there as I'm technologically challenged but not broke it either!Thoroughly recommend it.
  11. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

So can I hoof it into O2, buy the iPhone then unlock it once home to use on Orange? Or do 02 make you commit to their contract in store?
  12. I have one. Really good bit of kit. Get it 'jalbroken' - ie hacked so that you can install 3rd party software on it.

Its super as an mp3 player, but also displays photos and videos (downloadable from youTube with the MXtube application) and games.

13. Got one of the upgraded iTouch and have no problems with that.

However, since I've upgraded my laptop to iTunes 7.6.1 it says that its running when you got to Task Manager processes but it doesn't give me any other indication. Its making it a bit of a pain in the arrse to use another computer!! Anyone got any ideas?
  14. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I'm not sure if you can just buy the iPhone in the UK with no subscription, you can in the States from any Apple store. But if you can get your hands on one, it takes a few minutes to unlock with the software I linked to and yes you can use it on Orange.
  15. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

I rang O2 the other day and asked them if I could buy an iPhone 'as a gift' and was told yes but the recipient still needed to activate it within three days. When asked if it couldn't be activated within that timeframe they said I had a further 28 days to activate it! :? So in other words, I have one month to get it sorted.. Anyway, couldn't be hooped to continue with the conversation so hung up and I don't think I'll risk it from O2. Alternative is unlocked iPhone off eBay for 400 squid but some friends are off to the US in a few weeks so may as well wait until then.