Ipod classic, music to laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by skid2, Jul 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

An Ipod classic (original brick type) getting a little long in the tooth. It has over 6000 songs on it, everyone a blinder. It's starting to get grumpy and hang up and freeze.
    How do I get the songs off it and saved on to a laptop?
    Most of them I have on cd somewhere. I don't want to have to go through reloading them all and there are a few which are not going to be found again. Any aid, assistance and the usual abuse greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
  2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

3. I also had a very old Classic (probably second generation) third hand & it eventually died so for my 40th my family chipped in to get me a new Classic as I didn't feel the Touch could hold my library, or at least not at a sensible price, with room for expansion. On being given the new iPod I nipped upstairs, put it in the dock & a short time later the library was on the new device.

You can only have your iTunes library on one PC or Laptop, and need some kind of division of the Hard Drive if you want to run two libraries on one machine. I nearly overwrote my muusic with MrsPlume's when synchronising one evening after a good night in the pub!

I'm also looking at getting that iCloud service which backs up all the music on your iPod, & replaces it if you suffer a catastrophic PC breakdown whether the music was bought from iTunes Store or not.
  4. You don't need a hard drive partition just different user accounts. I've got mine, my GFs and two kids all on one PC and the different iPods sync fine. You can even enable library sharing (across wifi too) if you want to share music between you.

But I agree with previous poster, iTunes will sync to an iPod, but won't rip music from it, but the like he posted is one that I've used before when an earlier PC fried and we found the iTunes folder hadn't been backed up.

Not used iCloud yet - will have to look into it

Before you chuck in the old Classic, after you've ripped the music, try doing a factory reset on it. Google will be your friend for that.

Best of luck
  5. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

The music which I would like to shift is on the ipod. It originally was on a tiny desktop (You miserable rotten bastards I'm not surprised you went bust. The tiny co that is). Desktop, as will happen to a piece of shit, despite being replaced and rebuilt bit by bit, it finally packed up for good.
    I don't wish to mix the rock country blues and esoteric stuff on the ipod up with the stuff on the new desktop hard drive. So if I can get away with stashing the ipod stuff on a laptop or a keydrive I'll be happy.
    Not at all sure about downloading any cnet stuff down. I'm half convinced that was where I got the helperbar and babylon from.
  6. Phew, that's a relief. Perhaps the problem came about because the HD is partitioned? Thinking about it I'd only dropped the iPod into the dock to charge it & when I came back iTunes had started & was asking if I wanted to sync. Thank goodness I thought to check who's library was showing.

Really? Even if I set up an iTunes library on another machine & then tried to synch? That is major bad juju as I loading what I have onto iTunes itself has been a major exercise & a lot of the CDs are now in storage. Will look at backing up to my external hard drive until I find out more about the iCloud thing.
  7. On the iCloud front .. As far as I am aware iCloud DOES NOT backup music .. Only contacts/emails/reminders and then photos through photostream

The cnet stuff is useful to rip music off your iPod

And as said you do not need to partition your hd to have multiple libraries, simply setup different users on your pc to run different libraries, fairly simple to setup and do.

I love the classics as it enables you to have a much larger collection in one place as opposed to the touch/nano which limits your music and I end up swapping music time after time !!
  8. But iTunes Match does?
  9. Sorry, it's not Cloud, then. There is a subscription service available from Apple which remembers all your songs, wherever imported from, and replaces them to your iTunes library if your PC is abducted by aliens or the like.
  10. Victoria_major and captain plume

Wasn't aware of that service ?! Be
    Bloody helpful - can you chuck a link if you find one?!

I knew you could sync you iTunes without connecting to a computer but computer needs to be on and connected to wifi as well, but an iTunes matching service would solve a lot of my issues!
  11. Some chap on here recommended sharepod to me once. Its quite handy as itunes and iwotnots are a bag o poo.
  12. Just launch your itunes and hey presto!
  13. Looking into iTunes match
    a) it's £21.99 a year
    b) it only streams music from iCloud therefore if not in a wifi/signal area you can't access your music

Looks like an ok proposition I guess but not as useful as I first thought..

Scrap that - you can also download onto your devices as well... Actually a good solution to the problem if you don't mind the cost
  14. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

you ever considered you and a few other people might be a little gullible in the face of marketing?