iPhones. Just don't.

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones' started by SauceDoctor, Jan 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not terribly constructive, but these things are the work of Satan himself. Brand new old stock 3GS, bought by one of my mates. WiFi stopped working early doors, now iTunes seems to think it's a digital camera. I told my mate to wise up and get a BlackBerry, which she duly did. But how to export all of her contacts and videos/pics etc? iTunes was having none of it, so I set up a Hackintosh VM in an attempt to "do a compatibility". Sort of worked, but gave up when exporting names starting with Mc. Vids and pics saved by using DiskAid via Windows 7.

Tried also to Restore using the 4.3.3 ipsw baseband 8J2, which put the phone into a bootloop. Got it back up by holding the power and Sleep buttons for 10 seconds.

This thing should be good when you look at the hardware specs, but it almost seems wilful that the design team made it a clusterfuck.

I'm no kind of genius when it comes to mobiles, but the fact that I was able to port an HTC os to a 5 million year old LG Viewty in about 2 hours from scratch would indicate that Apple is a triumph of marketing over engineering.

Sorry for the rant, I just hate to see something badly done, when it could have been so much better.
  2. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

Roadster 280 will be along shortly to give you a chinese burn and a nasty look.

in terms of the contacts etc. I dont think thats entirely confined to Apple products - I had the devils own time getting my full contact list off my Blackberry onto my S2 when I upgraded the other week - I was reduced with the ones that werent on the sim to manually entering them onto the Samsung pc software and then synching them with the phone. and no, I'm not a biff - it would have been easy to do with the Blackberry software, but it required the internet to be working on the BB handset for me to back up those contacts. which O2, in their infinite wisdom, disabled the second I put an online request to upgrade in. ah well.

the S2, btw, is a lovely piece of kit that even has the fanbois in the office looking conflicted.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. How can you possibly make it that complicated? I had a 3Gs and just bought a 4s.

Took it out of the box, put in my username and password and the new phone automatically synced my contacts, text messages, music, etc. via the web. No need to do anything else or take it anywhere near a computer.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. I am a bit of a biff when it comes to smart phones, although I am quite good with OS's in general. I have a x10i which use almost exclusively for making phone calls (shock horror), but I have had a play with the 'under the hood' stuff.

Whichever one you have, you should be able to make a csv file of your contacts and e-mail it to yourself, or transfer it onto your laptop, maybe even synch the two using something like dropbox. Most OS's will be able to handle csv files, so then you should be able to import it. I haven't tried this but now I am tempted to have a go.

If this is bollox, don't bother telling me because I want try it for myself.
  5. I agree with all of the points above. However, this thing did not comply with any standards. You are quite correct in saying the csv thing, but it crashed Excel conversion.

FWIW, avoid the iJesus.
  6. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I've had my iPhone 4 for about a year now, it ******* rocks, wife has one too.

Neither of us have ever experienced any snags with them and when our HP laptop 'falls down the stairs' later this year, we'll be replacing it with a MacBook, a decision based on our satisfaction with the iPhones.

It's the most popular phone around for a very good reason.
  7. Is there a way of uploading iPhone 4 content to the web and then downloading said content to the IPhone 4s? I am a bit of a techno phobe so any useful simple to follow advice would be appreciated.
  8. Iphones are only as good as the user,

Blackberry's are only as good as long as the RIM service don't go tits up,

As for the rest of the market well I'm sure there not perfect either & someone, somewhere will winge & moan about it anyway,

If Carlsberg made mobile phones then the Iphone would be it's choice, as it's currently the number one smartphone on the market,

I'll shut the door on the way out..
  9. I have an iphone 4 and think it is the dogs bollocks, awesome bit of kit.
  10. My iPhone4 is by far the best phone I've had.
  11. Friends, Romans and cuntymen. Lend me your ears. iPhones are ******* shit. If you have one that actually works fair play, but remember that they are the Vauxhall Nova of the phone world - sold loads, no damn good.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I disagree, I had an iPhone 3Gs followed by a Blackberry and then a HTC. There's a reason I went back to Apple for my phone.
  13. That's because you're as thick as shit.

Add: And they're as pikey as **** now.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

You're clearly trying to justify your shite choice of phone to yourself.

You are a toilet, that is all.
  15. Chav.