Iphone4 geek help

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones' started by Porridge_gun, Nov 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

I'm a massive Blackberry fan, however whilst abroad I used an Iphone4 for a couple of months, whilst as a phone its pants, but there is no denying the browser and data facilities are cracking.

I'm a bit of a biff so could use some help.

1. Is there a way of seperating email address's, like the blackberry where they have different Icon for each account?
    2. Is there an application so at a glance you can see if you have a new message / missed call / email etc. The Blackberry does this by the red LED flashing and it saves you pickign the phone up every three minutes.
    3. Its an unlocked phone, however, because its had an overseas sim in it, and the laptop its paired to for Itunes etc is still overseas, when I insert a new sim and put it on itunes, it won't recognise it, will it therefore delete everything and start again or is there another way of letting the handset know there is a new sim in it and will therefore need the network settings downloading.

Hurry and let me know you pack of *****
  2. I have only one e mail accout on my phone but go to settings, then mail.contacts, calenders, you'll find an 'add account' and it gives you a list.
    That's all I can help with as i'm also a biff.
  3. PG - Re point 2) - If you swipe down from the top of the screen, it should pull down the notification centre, with all that stuff on it (you need IOS 5 though)
  4. 1. I used to have my work & personnel email (2 different accounts) on my Iphone until my work one stuffed up. I don't think you can have seperate icons, but you can choose whether to have a joint inbox for both accounts or seperate ones. But if you have seperate ones, you'd have no idea if you've got mail in the other unless you go into that specific inbox. You can change this easy enough.

2. No, simply. It's a pain in the arse, it makes you look like a pretentious **** every time you check your phone if you're waiting for an email/text/whatever.

3. Sorry no idea on that question.
  5. My limited knowledge of these things: You can customise your sound alerts to notify you of new email, text message etc (4s unsure of older models) so no need for a 3rd party app..
  6. Drop it, claim for a Samsung Galaxy 2 on the house insurance.
  7. Go to settings then sounds.
  8. Porridge_gun

Sorry, am a bigger biff than you think, what do you mean 'swipe down'

I don't want more sounds, just a visual alert so I know to check the phone. often its on silent and its a Blackberry feature I will miss alot.
  9. Scroll down.
  10. **** the iphone and its ideas off....get something with Android on it.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. No worries - put your finger where the ear speaker is, and pull finger directly down (in contact with the screen) to the button at the bottom.

Only works when unlocked though, which looking at your other post isn't what you're after, I don't think.

Edit: With the iOS 5, it also shows you messages/emails/calander appointments when locked, when you press the home key.
  12. Porridge_gun

I want to keep the iphone as its synched with home / office and Spain cctv systems.

You say scroll down, scroll down what? the menu? settings?
  13. Well don't rely on it. I had all my contacts on my IPOD touch (Its the same as an IPHONE without the phone bits..and GPS) and the ****** would not populate the contacts on my new laptop....and now itunes wants to erase the ****, despite it being the third computer I have authorised it with. Pooey ******* thing.
  14. Porridge_gun

Its backed up etc.

Its not as good as the Blackberry device manager, but the apps are useful, ie banking, maps, etc.

I've got the BBerry 9900 too, pants battery but a cracking handset, perhaps I'm just a bit bored of it.
  15. Click Settings,
    Click Sounds,
    Scroll the screen up,
    Customise/Modify email & text msg ringer and alerts to suit.