IPhone

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by willowsafc81, Sep 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just got a new iphone and found out that I can't use my itunes as ring/text tones. Does any one know how to get round this problem?

Thanks

2. buy a decent phone

3. What OS are you running? Windows or OSX?

4. You can apparently buy them on itunes, but I've since broke mine and invested in a better, indestructible phone.

5. You can only use tunes you bought from iTunes as ringtones.

6. Windows

7. Or you can try this out, I know someone who has done it and it works. Not sure if it will work on the latest iTunes updates since 7.4.

It goes basically like this: iTunes uses the m4r file extension for Ringtones. If you copy an AAC file from your library and rename it from .m4a to .m4r and then add it back to iTunes, the program reads it back in as a ringtone rather than a normal library track. You can then sync it to your iPhone. I've tested this with both an MP3 that I converted to AAC and with a track I purchased from the iTunes store. They both worked.

The secret lies in making sure the name change happens properly. This isn't a big problem on Windows. On the Mac though there are protections in place to keep you from renaming the file extension--this isn't to keep you from making ringtones. It's to keep you from hurting your files. So either do the rename in Terminal or select the file you want to rename and open the Info window. Scroll down to the Name & Extension field and change the extension to m4r there.

At this time, the m4r items do not appear in your Library. You can only see them when you select an iPhone in the sources list and then click on the Ringtones tab.

8. Cheers mate will give it a shot

9. No probs! Good luck!

10. I didn't know you could run anything but the pre-instaled os safari??
    Be making brews with it next.

11. I believe he meant on the computer associated with the handset

It's much easier in OSX to make ringtones, and I think it's the recommended way for the UK, at least until the record companies and Apple get their arse in gear.

12. There is an app that makes your itunes into ringtones.

13. What's it called?

14. Yes I was. If the OS was OSX there is an app that comes with your Mac called Garageband that can be used for creating ringtones.

I cannot recommend any Windows apps as I don't use Windows. However go onto VersionTracker and search "iphone ringtones" and have a trawl through the programs that comes up.