iPhone+ water does not mix

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones' started by Boozy, Nov 19, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi folks... just wondering if anyone can help me rescue my mobile...

Drove to supermarket earlier ... was texting, threw my iPhone 3gs into the little compartment under my car stereo whilst I ran into the supermarket to grab some booze and a newly released wii game. When I came back I picked up my phone, it was soaked, realised it was wet..."FFS!" I thought... then it wouldn't switch off or do anything at all... I have come home and stuck it on the charge... just comes up with a white blank screen, nothing else. Am going to let it dry overnight and pray it works in the morning as I can't afford another new one.

Has anyone else made this cock up and managed to fix one or am I better to just bin the thing and get another phone?

Cheers in advance...A slightly banjaxed Boozy :) :spiderman:
  2. Do you have any brothers?
  3. Best advice with electronics that get wet is to leave then turned off for several days. Water breaks the circuitry by shorting it, so leaving it off gives the device a chance to dry out.

That said, if you've submerged it in water while turned on, you've more than likely fucked it.

Why would you own an iPhone with no insurance?
  4. My advice to you is to try putting the roof up on your car. Leccy gizzits don't really work well when exposed to rain.
  5. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

fixed that for you.
    • Like Like x 5
  6. Had a similar problem with the BB yesterday: apparently they are not waterproof. Bl**dy tropical rainstorms. Store it for a day or two in some uncooked rice.
  7. I feel your pain. My iphone was always getting wet due to the weather in Laos so I invested in a water proof case. Just do a google search for iphone water proof case, there are many types. Here's an example:Home page :: LifeProof Cases
  8. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

I wouldnt bother so much if it wasnt so ridiculously easy to wind you fanbois up into a spittle flecked lather.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. It's well known that the march of technology REQUIRES people to have with them a device on which they can incessantly write to each other, read books, check their bank balance and spend hours and hours playing 'Enraged Fiery Mongoloids III'. The idea of a telephone that makes and receives calls without having the ability to download movies or remind you go go poo-poo once a day, is frankly absurd in this day and age. You luddite.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

I dont think it's working very well in that respect - all the fanbois I keep encountering all seem to be full of shit.
  11. These are very good.
    Similarly, do give it a few days of drying out before powering up.
    If you have a dehumidifier this will help - if it is not already DOA.
  12. it seemed to have been just where I'd spilled the dregs of a can of coke or something (that I don't remember spilling! perhaps there is water getting into my car) that I dropped it in. It was dark so I couldn't see that it was wet before I had done it :(

I'm not sure if I have insurance I'll have to look at my contract later. I know I used to have insurance after the circus I went through after losing a previous phone on a night out in aberdeen but I'm not sure if I cancelled it or not in a bid to save a little money.
  13. When it comes to insurance, most companies don't cover phones, laptops or bikes.
  14. I went to a regimental do in east London last year. I stopped at the West Ham hotel and just before I went to bed, I had a pee and was checking e-mails on my blackberry at the same time. Murphy's law took over and I dropped it down the loo. The phone wouldn't work and a week later, I brought a cheap phone off ebay. The day the cheap phone arrived, I gave the blackberry one last go and it powered up. I put the cheap phone back on ebay and got my dough back. The blackberry had took over a week to dry out. You might be lucky?