iPhone to Android; anyone made the move?

You could have bought a new Xiaomi Mi A2 lite for that. 4GB memory, 64GB storage, dual sim and micro SD card. Fingerprint reader. 4000mAH battery and a headphone socket too. Running Android 8 but will upgrade to 9 when you turn it on.

www.amazon.co.uk/Xiaomi-Mi-A2-Lite-Black/dp/B07JWH712Z?th=1
Perhaps - but I wanted something I knew well. Sure more storage is better but I just wanted something which could work with the rest of my devices. I have an Apple watch too sitting in the drawer collecting dust. I just hate watches and stuff on my wrists, so might just flog it off.

One thing I like the best about Apple devices - the icloud back up system and the ease of use. Compared to Google, they are miles ahead with the ease of use. And they are only a buck every month for that. Saved my bacon a few times.

Don't get me wrong, I am not an Apple fan boi by any means - but for my budget and reliability and just simple features I was looking for, this came across as a deal. Brand new as well.

Now, I actually have to set it up. Sigh!

JNM

War Hero
It runs Android One so it's guaranteed updates for at least 2 years. That's 4GB RAM - storage (space for apps etc.) is 64GB.
I know what RAM is and I doubt full android could even fit into 4GB of storage now but android isn’t exactly great at memory management. You can get away with 3/4GB in iOS but android I wouldn’t be happy with less than 6.

Also just because it runs android one doesn’t mean it will run it well.

JNM

War Hero
Perhaps - but I wanted something I knew well. Sure more storage is better but I just wanted something which could work with the rest of my devices. I have an Apple watch too sitting in the drawer collecting dust. I just hate watches and stuff on my wrists, so might just flog it off.

One thing I like the best about Apple devices - the icloud back up system and the ease of use. Compared to Google, they are miles ahead with the ease of use. And they are only a buck every month for that. Saved my bacon a few times.

Don't get me wrong, I am not an Apple fan boi by any means - but for my budget and reliability and just simple features I was looking for, this came across as a deal. Brand new as well.

Now, I actually have to set it up. Sigh!
At least you don’t have to plug it into iTunes anymore ;)

endure

GCM
I know what RAM is and I doubt full android could even fit into 4GB of storage now but android isn’t exactly great at memory management. You can get away with 3/4GB in iOS but android I wouldn’t be happy with less than 6.

Mine runs very well in 4 gig of RAM.

JNM

War Hero
Mine runs very well in 4 gig of RAM.
But will the next version? It’s not iOS so you don’t get some degree of performance guarantee. Y’know W10 can run on 2GB of RAM? Not very well but that’s the official spec for the 64 bit version.

That's the thing with Android - it just seems to be a big resource hog. Every single phone I had, even the Nexus ones straight from Google seem to tax the RAM so much. iOS just seems so much more resource efficient, almost never laggy, while the Android ones after a year or so of use just take forever!

JNM

War Hero
That's the thing with Android - it just seems to be a big resource hog. Every single phone I had, even the Nexus ones straight from Google seem to tax the RAM so much. iOS just seems so much more resource efficient, almost never laggy, while the Android ones after a year or so of use just take forever!
It’s because google has to accommodated hundreds of different phones where apple has to accommodate maybe 6 gens of very similar hardware setups.

endure

GCM
But will the next version? It’s not iOS so you don’t get some degree of performance guarantee. Y’know W10 can run on 2GB of RAM? Not very well but that’s the official spec for the 64 bit version.

It'll last long enough till it's time to buy a new phone.

my phone had 6GB ram, and was cheap

It’s because google has to accommodated hundreds of different phones where apple has to accommodate maybe 6 gens of very similar hardware setups.
Apple does have a very locked down eco system - one of the reasons why I didn't switch over earlier for my personal phone. I stuck with the Nexus 5 - talk about old school, for donkey's years before I lost it.

I really can't stomach/ afford the new phone prices. So the iPhone 6S it is! But at least now all my devices are integrated without having to faff around.

Apple does have a very locked down eco system - one of the reasons why I didn't switch over earlier for my personal phone. I stuck with the Nexus 5 - talk about old school, for donkey's years before I lost it.

I really can't stomach/ afford the new phone prices. So the iPhone 6S it is! But at least now all my devices are integrated without having to faff around.
I love the fact a non working man has 170 squid spare

Go screw your self! I don't need to explain anything to you about my finances, you assuming t-w-a-t.
was that directed at you? grow up

And it's nice to have a working phone again, which doesn't scream "out of memory or storage" every single hour. The iPhone6S is nice - but because it was boxed up for so long and whatever the the charging cable didn't work. Solved by a £1.99 cable from a local shop.

And apps actually work! I couldn't even get most of the basics like Uber etc. barely work on my 2012 dodgy back up one!

Latest Threads