iPhone to Android; anyone made the move?

I’ve got a iPhone 6s, and have had iPhones since I first got a smartphone.

I don’t really use any iOS only apps, and am getting a bit fed up of shite battery life and apple’s “only use our stuff or we’ll make it a pain in the ar*e for you” approach.

Anyone made the leap to Android? Any suggestions for handsets? I’d be looking to get a smart watch too. While I appreciate the battery life might not be mega, it can’t be worse than the 0.3 seconds I get on the iPhone.

Android smartphones have the same battery issues. SWMBO has a work Samsung which has no apps other than google maps and her work email and lasts no longer than 1.5 days maximum from 100% to 35% charge.

Mate has one of the last Windows phones (Sony Experia) again battery lasts just over a day.

If you want long battery life and don't use any apps, buy a brick.
My standby is a Nokia brick which has a battery life of about a week.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Anyone made the leap to Android?
Yep. Massive pain in the hoop. You don't appreciate the simplicity of that wee 'turn immediately to silent' switch on the left side of your iPhone until you have to manage it through an app on Android. Or setting up do not disturb time. Or syncing chat between your iPhone and an iPad/MacBook effortlessly.

Needless to say my experiment lasted about a month.

Android smartphones have the same battery issues. SWMBO has a work Samsung which has no apps other than google maps and her work email and lasts no longer than 1.5 days maximum from 100% to 35% charge.

Mate has one of the last Windows phones (Sony Experia) again battery lasts just over a day.

If you want long battery life and don't use any apps, buy a brick.
My standby is a Nokia brick which has a battery life of about a week.
I think for most people these days "long" means being able to get through the day in one charge.

I've used both simultaneously for a couple of years now - work and personal. They both have their pros and cons but for overall "polished" feeling, iPhone is better. But the new iPhones (and the Google Pixel3) are just wacko in terms of pricing. I mean you can buy a brand new Macbook for the price of an iPhone, it's crazy!

I am NOT spending £1000-ish something for a damn phone!

I've got Android stuff and IOS stuff. Android Kicks ass in my opinion. Much easier to customise your device, apps are easily hacked and Android OS is better for me and I can root my device, unlock the bootloader easily and unroot it just as easily.

My Opinion:

IOS Devices - good for old people/ non tech people/ small children.
Android - good for people who like to have some say on what they can install, customise etc.

Xiaomi MI A2 Lite

Oreo 8 on the Android One scheme so it should gte the next two updates
4000mAH battery so it lasts quite well.

£180 direct from Xiaomi's new shop in London

Linkything

I've got Android stuff and IOS stuff. Android Kicks ass in my opinion. Much easier to customise your device, apps are easily hacked and Android OS is better for me and I can root my device, unlock the bootloader easily and unroot it just as easily.

My Opinion:

IOS Devices - good for old people/ non tech people/ small children.
Android - good for people who like to have some say on what they can install, customise etc.
Is it possible to port over iTunes music, or is that a lost cause if I transfer?

I think for most people these days "long" means being able to get through the day in one charge.
Yup. I can be at 80% after reading/playing music on the phone by the time I arrive at work.

Admittedly, the battery is old, but to replace that, I need to fix the screen. The combined cost could get me a nearly new android phone.

I'm still using iphone 6 which is fine and does everything I need.
Paid for over 2 years contract & now on a sim-only deal.
I never buy the latest version of anything as the big manufacturers (Apple Samsung etc see you coming)

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Moved over from androids to iPhones. The iTunes was the only reason. (And phone calls and texts)

Switch everythingelse off you don’t need on the iPhone and it’s quite a good battery life. The dame has Samsung’s and always carries a battery pack but then hers has all sorts of stuff running.

Works blackberry, phone text and emails. Great battery, like everything else it depends what you run on them.
Stick a survivor case and a phone hug strap on them and they’re bulletproof.
But steal the high end Samsung’s headphones of people, they re the best OE ones going. I usually trade them for a pint.

I double took when he said fellow IT nerds. I thought there were warnings against using these phones because of security concerns.
A few years ago, there was a very good reason why the Huawei 'partnership' team were rusticated to an isolated and stand-alone building within BT's Adastral campus at Martelsham.

. . . actually, there were several good reasons . . .